Do all Auto Trails leak? (1 Viewer)

Jaymacgee

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Hi

We are looking for our first motorhome and a 2008-ish Autotrail Apache 700SE suits us perfectly in terms of accommodation / facilities / price. First one we viewed had a bad bit of damp and this forum suggests all Auto trails suffer from water ingress. Has anyone on here had an Auto Trail that didn't leak? Thanks.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think all makes of m/h suffer from damp if you are unlucky the same as you could buy a merc car and get a lemon its just the odds. Ours is transit based you would have thought from some of the posts on here we are lucky its not been nicked but as the insurers have no loading on transits it can't be that bad !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
It's a guaranteed fact that not all Autotrails leak or have excessive, irreparable damp, as illustrated above.

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My 2012 Autotrail failed both the 3rd year (Repaired by Autotrail dealer under warranty) and 4th year damp checks due to leaks.

Got fed up with this so bought a PVC - that had two leaks as well. :rolleyes:

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
We have a Kontiki which have a reputation to leak allegedly. I never took any notice of the crap posted about them because you only hear of the ones that do go wrong and not the hundreds that don't. Look at the old paperwork with your prospective purchase, particularly the hab test and make a decision on that.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Our is now over 6 years old and has always been kept outside and exposed to some horrendous weather including very long, heavy rain and has never leaked. Modern sealants used on recent motorhomes are very, very, good. However, once in a blue moon the odd one slips through due to factory assembly errors and as you know, nothing travels faster or further than bad news.

OP
OP
J

Jaymacgee

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Perhaps my question should have been do Autotrails leak more than other makes?

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
We had Auto Trails for seven years without any sign of damp (or other real) issues - served us very well indeed. We switched to a brand new Hymer which leaked within 18 months - apparently water features are fitted to random Hymers at the factory these days :D

It's a fact of life that there are good and bad examples across most if not all brands.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Thanks everyone. A damp meter and patience are what I need, I think!

Just take your time physically looking at as many as you can & spend plenty of time researching online, you have an adequate budget to achieve your needs, and as previously stated, an adequate payload is vital.

There are hundreds of suitable Moho's out there for you - finding them isn't tricky, finding the right one may be ! :)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
On the general question of leaks, of course in any converter's range the Coachbuilt(C Class) have an inherent disadvantage for leaks over the A class because of the join between original cab and the habitation area.

One other factor to take into account is the basic construction of the walls and roof. A comparison should be made between those with timber frames within the walls and those constructed without. It is not that one may leak more but the consequences of a leak and its repair are greater where timber is involved.

I am fortunate in having a MH which is built with a double aluminium cladding on foam, with no timber because the walls are the structure. Even if a leak did occur there is nothing to rot or decay, unless the moisture gets to the furniture/floor.

Ours is a Niesmann+Bischoff, who I think were the first, or one of, to use this. Hymer have in the last couple of years also employed it.

Geoff

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Our Previous Autotrail Delaware which was new when i purchased it in November 2014, failed it first habitation check with over 90% damp in back garage. It then failed the 2nd check 3months later as the other side was leaking. It did however pass the 2nd year habitation so not all doom and gloom.... Probably be ok to the new owners now that i have sorted all the issues on it before i p/x back to the dealers.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Beware if you buy one in Wales , could be leeks :groan:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Weren't they called 'Watertrail' and also there's the 'Swift Konleaky' :D2

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The problem with our last van (Autotrail, 66-plate) is that the roof had so many ridges, lips and high edges that the water could never escape when it was parked on a flat surface. Our new continental van has a flat one-piece roof so it's better for countering water ingress problems IMO.

Cheers,

Andrew

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back