Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
IMG_4353.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4357.JPG
IMG_4358.JPG
IMG_4360.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
Tried to find a windbreak which suited our requirements, needed to be lightweight, compact and give us the the option of following the awning shape with openings at either end or perhaps in a straight line across our pitch.
We never managed to tick all the boxes with the ones for sale, they were either too heavy or too bulky. In the end we decided on making one.

After a look around on the internet Ripstop fabrics seemed to fit the bill; waterproof, lightweight,
strong and compact.

Couldn't find any poles which fitted our requirements - brush stales too bulky, telescopic didn't seem to last long etc.

Looking at various poles none seemed strong enough but hollow plastic-coated, metal, garden poles were cheap, very lightweight and easy to wipe clean.

After deciding the height of the windbreak we required, the poles were cut to length with a pipe slice. To make the poles more rigid I cut lengths of timber approximately 12mm square which was slightly less than the inside diameter. Then the hollow pole was partially filled with neutral curing silicone & the timber pushed down to the bottom, twisting it at the same time (bit messy this bit).

Next I bought some rubber walking stick ends with steel washer inserts; the idea being that the washers would stop the pole cutting into the rubber as they were hit with a rubber mallet. These ends were also stuck on with the silicone.

The Ripstop fabric was easily machined (so I'm told):rolleyes: with pockets for each pole depending on which configuration we require plus tie backs to fasten the windbreak to the van and to the poles.

An easy solution for fixing the tie backs to the poles was to use an elastic hair bobble in a figure eight allowing it to be tied at different heights. Loops were also put at the bottom to peg down if required.

The windbreak is 6m x 1.1m packs up really small and the 7 poles pack into a fishing rod size bag.
Used it about 12 times now with no problems with noise although I did put a couple of guy ropes on one windy night.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Had a similar problem with wooden poles, they were much too heavy , now I need to source some replacement ones for Ann's favourite "beech hedge" windbreak. Can you elaborate on the sources of the poles and the bit about the walking stick ends?
Thanks

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi Mike the green poles are available in most garden centres etc.
We purchased ours from B&Q only cost Ā£2 50 each.
They're made out of thin metal which is plastic coated hence the reason we strengthened them by inserting timber & silicone.

The walking stick ends were used simply to blank off the end of the pole & the metal washer stopping the pole damaging the rubber end when hitting the walking stick end with a mallet.
The walking stick ends were about 16mm internal diameter & fitted snugly over the green poles.
Purchased the walking stick ends from eBay cost Ā£1 20 each.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Mike the green poles are available in most garden centres etc.
We purchased ours from B&Q only cost Ā£2 50 each.
They're made out of thin metal which is plastic coated hence the reason we strengthened them by inserting timber & silicone.

The walking stick ends were used simply to blank off the end of the pole & the metal washer stopping the pole damaging the rubber end when hitting the walking stick end with a mallet.
The walking stick ends were about 16mm internal diameter & fitted snugly over the green poles.
Purchased the walking stick ends from eBay cost Ā£1 20 each.
Not decrying your fantastic inventiveness but would electric fence poles have been an easier/cheaper option than the poles you made?

Lost of different sizes and colours to choose from:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...poles.TRS0&_nkw=electric+fence+poles&_sacat=0

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
@Minxy Girl they look good to be honest never new they existed will have a proper look when back in England.

Are they solid plastic or hollow?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
@Minxy Girl they look good to be honest never new they existed will have a proper look when back in England.

Are they solid plastic or hollow?
There solid plastic, used around football pitches to keep the parents away from pitch
Personally I think they may be to flexible/abrasive with the fabric attached if not then good option

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They are solid plastic with the metal spike on the end and a 'foot' plate to push them into the ground with, they will have a bit of flex in them being plastic but as they are meant to be used to keep cattle, horses etc in areas, albeit with electric tape on, they can't be very flimsy ... I've certainly seen them at car boot sales and they look pretty strong. If you look at the ebay page link and scroll down you'll see that you can even get steel ones if you want.

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
The DIY windbreak has been road tested for almost 6 weeks now through France & Spain with the last 6 days at El Puerto Santa Maria where it's been pretty windy.
The only issues were if the ground was compacted crushed stone then I had to use a
steel peg to make a starter hole but I guess this would be the case with wooden poles etc.
Next I needed to have guy ropes which was sorted easily with a loop at each end of a piece of nylon cord from a Chinese shop.
Total cost of the 6m windbreak about Ā£65.

IMG_5009.JPG
IMG_5014.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back