Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I may be ok, would they want to steal a 17 year old MH:winky:

Looks like the more money you put into something the more chance you will loose it.:cry:

The thieves have got all the gear nowadays to nick it if the rewards are high enough.

I am thinking of changing my MH but reading the threads on here makes it seem like a gamble if I can keep it or not :whatthe:

I will still get a ebay tracker, just in case and hard wire it in, as I am bound to forget to change batteries:thumb:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Bought our current van second hand last year and it came with an alarm and a phantom tracker fitted. The phantom system costs me £120 per annum in subscriptions and I'm very impressed with the service. On the several occasions that I have inadvertently set off the alarm, I have received a text alerting me that the alarm has been activated and that I will receive a call from the centre to check with me personally whether it's real or not. They also know the exact location of the van when they call me. I would totally recommend the system for those that can afford it.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

if you leave the mh tracker engine [fuel] isolated [ as you can with mine] back2you/:thumb: could the van still be started with ecu [etc]:thumb:
if no power to fuel pump ignition ??:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
DIY Tracker

As with most things in life you get what you pay for. We researched a lot and ended up with the AppelloGEO as rubber stamped by the Camping and Caravanning Club. The AppelloGEO is more expensive but works in a completely different way to most systems. Your van can be located even in containers, barns, garages etc. other systems will only find your van if it is in the open ie line of site to satellite. The system is completely wire free and mobile no fitting! Swap between vehicles etc. diamond accredited which is the highest status which gives you an insurance discount on some companies including Camping and Caravanning Club. Another major point . . . you are tracked in Europe and if stolen in UK or Europe the vehicle is physically located for you by a dedicated team. Hope this he's. :Blush:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you leave the mh tracker engine [fuel] isolated [ as you can with mine] back2you/:thumb: could the van still be started with ecu [etc]:thumb:
if no power to fuel pump ignition ??:thumb:
no because the thief would rely on the engine being in working condition so no fuel pump working and the engine wont start. simply pulling out the fuel pump relay would do the same thing

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
no because the thief would rely on the engine being in working condition so no fuel pump working and the engine wont start. simply pulling out the fuel pump relay would do the same thing

seems like a really effective practise can I ask the following and please accept/excuse my naivety -

1 Is that an easy thing to do
2 Does it suffer if it is done regularly?
Lastly if it does suffer how costly to replace

Thanks
Ian

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
seems like a really effective practise can I ask the following and please accept/excuse my naivety -

1 Is that an easy thing to do
2 Does it suffer if it is done regularly?
Lastly if it does suffer how costly to replace

Thanks
Ian
yes very easy....just identify the correct relay in the fuse box under the bonnet and pull it out. maybe put a mark on the relay so you remember which one to remove

it wont do any harm to the engine, but the socket may get loose after plugging and unplugging the relay dozens of times.

you could also have an auto electrician wire a hidden switch into the circuit

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Couple of posts touched on insurance discounts & fitting a tracker.

2 years ago was looking for insurance and was asked about a fitted tracker some ins companies want it if over £50k in value and won't insure with out. Some offer a few % discount. one company wanted a cat 5 tracker (best part of £800) would take 10-15+ years to recover the cost

When you look at the cost of install and subscription the insurance discount is not significant.

Also watch out for max discount limits. Some companies limit discount offered so if you have secure storage, membership of club, low mileage, alarm, etc etc fitting a tracker may not offer any reduction

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
IMHO trackers are not about insurance discount or motorhome security, they are about recovering your precious item as soon as is practically possible.

also any tracking system is better than none. but monitored systems like trackstar traffic master can be installed complete with lifetime up front subscription.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Phill D. Point taken, would however comment that if they want it, doesn't matter what's fitted it will be taken. Many of the trackers on offer can be rendered useless by GPS blockers available via well known auction sites.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Phill D. Point taken, would however comment that if they want it, doesn't matter what's fitted it will be taken. Many of the trackers on offer can be rendered useless by GPS blockers available via well known auction sites.

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
Can this be true!!!!!
Just googled above item,Amazon are offering a plug in cig lighter one for £30
If they work any thief worth his salt would have one,if this were true why would you pay £000's on such a system.Are we really saying if they want it they'll take it and they can !

Vlad

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Easy cheap tracker.

When parked up, wild camping, shopping etc, we leave one of our mobile phones hidden inside the motorhome. When on a campsite we only do this if there is no gate barrier. At home we have bollards across the drive so don't hide the phone when the MH is on our drive.

We also use the mobile for our dog when he's off the lead in case he does a runner - not done it yet but you never know. We tuck in into his harness.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
Can this be true!!!!!
Just googled above item,Amazon are offering a plug in cig lighter one for £30
If they work any thief worth his sankey security ould have one,if this were true why would you pay £000's on such a system.Are we really saying if they want it they'll take it and they can !

Vlad

This is why you need a blended approach to security. Physical security /physucal deterent is important as is technology. Simple cut outs have always worked.. Used to always take the rotor arm off my gt6. key security is still massively important. Trackers are useful and work daily. The best combine different technologies though. Gps gsm and rf. A bit of thought and not being complacent often means you keep what's yours

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couldn't agree more ,however the more I look at it I'm drawn to the simple solutions like DIY trackers,relay removal,deadman switches etc.Seems to me the more hi-tech and costly the system the more likely there is something or someone out there working to disable it.
All said and done if someone is determined to take your van and your relying on a hi tech tracking system then they're more than likely going to get it. :Eeek:
I think I'll go old school with a couple of options that will take a lot of time and trouble to work out! Will they have the time or patience to work it all out ? I hope not!
I can't help thinking about the time my electric window failed and it took an auto electrician 3 hrs to tell me I had a combination of a dodgy earth and a loose relay!

Vlad

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Easy cheap tracker.

When parked up, wild camping, shopping etc, we leave one of our mobile phones hidden inside the motorhome. When on a campsite we only do this if there is no gate barrier. At home we have bollards across the drive so don't hide the phone when the MH is on our drive.

We also use the mobile for our dog when he's off the lead in case he does a runner - not done it yet but you never know. We tuck in into his harness.

Brilliant idea! Can anyone think of any pitfalls to this one?

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
A question about Internet Tracking with the TK102-NANO.

I've purchased and received one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111201679112?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I understand using this in SMS tracking mode. Sending a text to the unit and it replies by text with its current position. This reduces the credit I've put on the SIM - no problem, I get that :)

but

If using 'Internet Tracking Mode' where the unit is continually transmitting its position to a server, doesn't that also reduce your credit? The instructions only mention that I'd be best using a hard wired installation otherwise the battery wouldn't last long. It makes no mention of using any of the credit!

So what's the answer? Does internet tracking mode use the pre-paid credit? :Eeek:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not if you wire it up so it reverses the charges! ::bigsmile:

Vlad

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Not if you wire it up so it reverses the charges! ::bigsmile:

Vlad

Didn't work I'm afraid, the bank I tried to reverse the charges to refused the calls!

Very impressed with the accuracy of this thing - the green arrow is, within a few feet, bang on the mark :)

lat:51.498672 lon:-3.564202
speed:0.00
T:14/01/15 16:16
bat:100%
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=51.498672,-3.564202&z=16

I'd like to know the full command set for the unit. Not sure I have it setup correctly to text me if the unit senses the movement of the motorhome.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I'd like to know the full command set for the unit. Not sure I have it setup correctly to text me if the unit senses the movement of the motorhome.
Sad in'it when you find you're quoting your own posts! :cry:

Command set.
Function Command Format Reply
Initialization begin+password begin ok
Change password password+OldPassword+space+NewPassword password ok
Setup authorized phone number admin+password+space+PhoneNumber admin ok
Delete authorized phone number noadmin+password+space+PhoneNumber to be deleted noadmin ok
Get the GPS location (Real-time polling) Dial up the Tracker one time GPS coordinate and info
Auto track
Auto track - 5 times with 30 seconds interval t030s005n+password
Auto track - 26 times with 5 minutes interval t005m026n+password
Auto track - 10 times with 1 hours interval t001h010n+password
Auto track - heaps of times with 30 seconds interval t030s***n+password
Cancel Auto Track notn+password notn ok
Switch to Voice Monitor mode monitor+password monitor ok
Switch to Tracker mode tracker+password tracker ok
Geo Fencing stockade+password+space+longitudeE/W,latitudeN/S; longitudeE/W,latitudeN/S stockade ok
Cancel Geo Fencing nostockade+password nostockage ok
Movement alert move+password move ok
Cancel Movement alert nomove+password nomove ok
Overspeed alert speed+password+space+080 speed ok
Cancel Overspeed alert nospeed+password nospeed ok
IMEI checking imei+password
SMS Center adminsms+password+space+cell phone number
Cancel SMS Center noadminsms+password
Low battery alert low battery+Geo-info
SOS button Press the SOS for 3 seconds help me !+ Geo-info
Time zone setting time+space+zone+password+space+TimeZone
home page setting home+password+space+the website you want to set
Switch to the link format smslink+password
switch back to the text format smstext+password

Extra functions for TK102-2NEW
To get one time positioning smsone123456
Tlimit function tlimit123456 100
Cancel Tlimit function tlimit123456 0
Motion sensor shake123456 0-10 (0 means off,1 means the lowest sensitive, 10 means the highest sensitive)
Activate SD card function sdlog123456 1
Deactivate SD card function sdlog123456 0
send data in the SD card to the GPRS server readsd+password+space+1
stop sending data in the SD card to the server readsd+password+space+0
Tracker reply one sms with GOOGLE MAP link smslinkone+password link to google map
set the GPS re-fresh time interval gpsautosearch123456 120 120 means 120 seconds, and 120 is the minimum
Restore factory firmware default format
check firmware version version+password TK102 V1.0-110707 ok!

GPRS Function
Setup APN apn+password+space+the customer’s APN CONTENT
Setup APN username apnuser+123456+space+The APN'S USER NAME
Setup APN password apnpasswd+123456 +space+THE APN'S PASSWORD
Setup IP address & Port adminip+password+space+ip address+space+port
Cancel IP address & Port noadminip+password
Set GPRS MODE-UDP gprsmode+password+1
Set GPRS MODE-TCP(default) gprsmode+password+0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Didn't work I'm afraid, the bank I tried to reverse the charges to refused the calls!

Very impressed with the accuracy of this thing - the green arrow is, within a few feet, bang on the mark :)

lat:51.498672 lon:-3.564202
T:14/01/15 16:16
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=51.498672,-3.564202&z=16

So, the Police nicked it then?

Allan

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
A question about Internet Tracking with the TK102-NANO.

I've purchased and received one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111201679112?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I understand using this in SMS tracking mode. Sending a text to the unit and it replies by text with its current position. This reduces the credit I've put on the SIM - no problem, I get that :)

but

If using 'Internet Tracking Mode' where the unit is continually transmitting its position to a server, doesn't that also reduce your credit? The instructions only mention that I'd be best using a hard wired installation otherwise the battery wouldn't last long. It makes no mention of using any of the credit!

So what's the answer? Does internet tracking mode use the pre-paid credit? :Eeek:

I saw this item mentioned so thought for £32 its worth a try. Once id sort the APN code on the sim (used an orange sim and not the one they sent with it) i was really surprised with the accuracy .Practically pin point.Ive messed around with it and found it spot on for the money.Ive left it in sleep mode as i know where the van is (on my drive) so if its not there i know its been knocked :RollEyes:. Im using via SMS so can either text or call it and within no time at all get an accurate fix.I enquired about the rates for using the GPRS tracking and depending on your network costs 3-4 pound a month.You can set it in sleep mode to alert you if it moves at all and this works fine.I moved it roughly 5 ft in this mode and it alerted me.Well worth the money i reckon and of course in SMS mode it costs you nothing unless you want it to.It even alerts you when the battery is low if you forget to change it.Or there is the option of buying the hard wire kit for a tenner.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I just bought one too, should be here today. Why did you decide to ditch the sim and go with Orange?
Allan

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
security is all about balance. A mixture of what you can afford, what makes you feel comfortable, and what you can be bothered to actually do on a day in day out basis.

The reality is that new('ish) motorhomes are seldom stolen, in fact over 70% of reported vehicle crime is "from" the vehicle not "of the vehicle" I would wager that that percentage would be even higher if it were solely motorhomes.

But like most things, if your the unlucky one, that gets your motorhome stolen the figures are meaningless. You've still lost your pride and joy!

Older motorhomes are more at risk as they are very easy to start. Some of you reading this may remember Van Bitz doing a security feature with MMM in 1999. Jonathan Lloyd brought us a Compass Calypso with a "generic" car alarm fitted. We "broke in" and hot wired it in around twenty seconds!

Another reason that the "actual" theft rate is low is that motorhomes are not stolen for secondary crime purposes. Nicking a motorhome to go joy riding down at the local Hollywood Bowl, driving around whilst your mates are doing doughnuts in their "hot hatches" simply isn't on. Neither is stealing a motorhome for a ram raid! Also, not the ideal vehicle to steal to use as a getaway vehicle :ROFLMAO:

Yes you can buy GSM jammers on ebay from China. However, to own one is illegal, not only would you be prosecuted for being equipped to steal, you face massive penalties under the Wireless and Communication act. Messing around with these systems is underpinning certain things and has severe consequences.

It's a little bit like counterfeiting money, the amount is of little consequence: get caught and your in deep trouble.

So by all means buy one and try it, I am sure that the authorities know a lot more than we know about what comes in and out of the Country so don't be surprised it you get a knock at the door.

Last time I checked with Thatcham, whilst aware of the availability of "jammers" they have not been used in any respect to concern Thatcham. I do know the correct people in Thatcham to ask, given that I was on a panel at Thatcham discussing the Thatcham Recognised Installers scheme.

Also, we have tracking systems that do not use the GSM network many tracking systems track "assets" across Oceans. Instead transmit directly up to dedicated satellites.

Despite the doom merchants dirge, the reality is that vehicle crime is reducing, and has been year on year for several years now.

This is due to a combination of better security systems, better locks, better tracking systems, a joined up approach to information sharing between the insurers, DVLA and the police makes it much easier to establish if your buying a stolen vehicle, the number plate recognition systems fitted makes it easy for the authorities to see at a glance if a vehicle is stolen just by driving by!

So it all about the balance, I stay in Aires when travelling through France, many people scream at the idea. I am very very confident in my alarm system and the security measures that we have in place and sleep soundly at night because of it!

Eddie

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Thanks for the input Eddie, very interesting.

Having listened to the arguments from Pappajohn and others regarding Thatcham approved trackers that are monitored 24/7. I started looking at the market. I used the following parameters.

1. I still believe that a purely GSM/GPS tracker bought off ebay, is as effective as one that includes 24/7 monitoring. Both can be jammed or hidden in a container etc. Additionally once the owner of the van physically reports his van stolen, the police response will be the same. (They may request your tracking account/password details so they can log in and monitor using your trackers software). But I can understand why you would want this facility, if you can afford it. So the device had to be monitored 24/7.

2. Some trackers also includes VHF, which although not 100% perfect, can still emit a signal
when hidden in containers etc unlike GPS/GSM. However you do need height or be close to detect that signal, and often two detectors to get the signal triangulated. Additionally high ground, water, bridges can all effect the detector readings. So the company supplying the tracker needs good countrywide antenna coverage. So the devices I looked at needed a VHF facility.

Here's three products worth a look at.

Tracker™ Monitor: http://www.tracker.co.uk/products/tracker-monitor/

A purely VHF tracker, Thatcham approved Cat 7. It runs off the vehicle battery, but also has the ability to transmit if disconnected. It has a motion detector fitted which will alarm if the vehicle is moved/lifted. Monitored 24/7 by Tracker.

Can be operated in the UK , France , Spain , Poland , Italy , Holland and Luxembourg.

Cost: Unit and installation…Tracker™ wanted £361 to purchase and install. I found one of their resellers flogging it for £125. Tracker™ will price match.

Monitoring Subscription: £149 per annum or £399 for the duration. No wriggle room on subscription fees from any of the resellers or Tracker™

A basic tracker, from one of the UK's premier providers. Their VHF coverage is extremely good. Others may have more detail on that.

Tracker™ Locate: I like this one. A combined VHF/GSM/GPS Tracker. Again runs off the vehicle battery. Thatcham approved, Cat 6. You also get access to the devices software, so you can plan journeys, monitor fuel usage etc. Monitored 24/7 by Tracker.

Also linked into "Tracker Mesh™. Basically if the vehicle passes with 200m of another Tracker™ device, they will talk to each other and the location will be flagged at the monitoring centre. Thats pretty good.

Europe wide coverage.

Costs: Tracker™ wanted £312. I found a reseller offering it for £185. Tracker tell me they will price match.

Monitoring Subscription: £174 per annum or £399 for 3 year period.

A left fielder….next

Sure-Track™ http://www.sure-track.co.uk

A wire-free, self-powered tracker with a battery life of 3yrs. A Thatcham approved Cat 7 device. Works of GSM/GPS/VHF. You can also activate a motion detector if the van is left for long periods. I assume that the device is normally switched off. So under normal usage, you would need to inform them that the van has been stolen. One of the benefits of this device is it is easily swopped between vehicles. They will also inform you when the battery is low.

No mention of European coverage. Check with the company…I suspect not.

My understanding is that the device would initially ping on GPS/GSM….Once its reported stolen the company identifies the location using GPS/GSM, then switches on the VHF and deploys its "Finders" a team of ex police/Mil to the area who use veh mounted and hand held RF detectors to locate it. They also liase with the police. My only point would be that they initially need GPS/GSM to locate it.

"From this point the location of the device is actively monitored and our team of finders is alerted. Once the monitoring service staff have triangulated the GPRS/GSM signals to get a rough location, a finder, usually with a Military or Police background, is dispatched to the area where they then activate the RF function on the device which gives them a very accurate location."

Costs: Justkamper have a deal of £359 for the unit including the first years subscription. From then on they offer from £108 per annum or £9 per month.

Now there will be others, so feel free to add to this. As I said, I specifically looked at devices with a VHF facility. I've also noticed that some companies really do screw the customer interms of cost. Some trackers costing £800 for the first year(unit and subscription)…Thats a lot of money for a technology that is similar in most of the commercial products, so it pays to shop around.

Last edited:

aldenise

Free Member
Jun 26, 2010
Cleethorpes. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki
Exp
5 years
as any one looked at [sky tag] web site I have had one fitted since 2010 costs me £6.40 a month they even tell me if my battery is getting low and claim the record for fastest in uk for recovery

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
I saw this item mentioned so thought for £32 its worth a try. Once id sort the APN code on the sim (used an orange sim and not the one they sent with it) i was really surprised with the accuracy .Practically pin point.Ive messed around with it and found it spot on for the money.Ive left it in sleep mode as i know where the van is (on my drive) so if its not there i know its been knocked :RollEyes:. Im using via SMS so can either text or call it and within no time at all get an accurate fix.I enquired about the rates for using the GPRS tracking and depending on your network costs 3-4 pound a month.You can set it in sleep mode to alert you if it moves at all and this works fine.I moved it roughly 5 ft in this mode and it alerted me.Well worth the money i reckon and of course in SMS mode it costs you nothing unless you want it to.It even alerts you when the battery is low if you forget to change it.Or there is the option of buying the hard wire kit for a tenner.

Mine's working good :)

lat:51.550098 lon:-3.585420
T:14/01/17 15:53

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=51.550098,-3.585420&z=16
How are these working now 1 year on ? would you still recommend them??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back