DIY Stopsy (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Found some 20mmx20mm aluminium angle 1.5mm thick in my 'bits n pieces' box. Put a shamfer on the leading and trailing edges and then stuck it on the track using some 3M foam backed tape after de-greasing the back of the track.
Seems to work ok and is quite easy to overcome but it does make a signifcant 'clunk' when the roller runs over it. I was wondering if the more affluent members (those who could afford the real deal) would confirm the noise theirs makes?
Can't put Videos on here so to the file on my site.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
OP
OP
Driventemple
Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I did put a small chamfer on the slot - perhaps I should have made it bigger?
Think I will consider this as Mk1 as I have some more offcuts...
That's what Mr Wombles suggested when he saw the video (y) Maybe make it in stainless steel for durability if making it a permanent addition at some point. You might end up with orders from Funsters! :)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Plastic furniture block does the trick, lift the handle to go over it.
1BF08C07-D539-4A0F-8402-875237FB1FFA.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A few months ago a member of the Forum,(sorry, can’t remember who), suggested using a ? tennis ball pushed into the track channel.

We tried it, it works perfectly and is infinitely adjustable for width of opening. Being soft the ball deforms easily making it easy to use.

Cost - one less tennis ball in my sports bag.

But, then again, I am a Cumbrian by birth. I was once told that the definition of a Cumbrian is “a Scotsman with the generosity knocked out of him”.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Plastic furniture block does the trick, lift the handle to go over it.
View attachment 338413
Similar to what I did at the bottom on a previous camper utilising an existing hole, I took the edges off the piece that went behind the runner and removing one of the lugs on the outer block allowed the remaining one to go into the hole to keep it from moving back/forth when the door hit it. I didn't chamfer my outer block as I didn't want to risk the door going over it if we weren't level chopping mone of my dogs heads off! (Note: the block with the bolt in below is the rear one - the bolt was only in it so I could hold it whilst I sawed the chamfers.)

3 blocks together.jpg

5 block in place.jpg

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
I made my own stopper placed in the top track of the sliding door. I used number plate adhesive strip, a piece of 10mm plywood, a strip of stainless steel (mine was a burgee clip from a sailing dinghy) and two screws. It’s adjustable by slightly bending the ss strip as necessary. The bolt on the door slider catches on the ss strip . As an alternative a large flat head screw could replace the ss strip. I’ve been using mine for over a year, cost me nothing to make. Works in both dierections, fit and forget.

80FDE5DF-C3AE-4737-B2CE-853FBF24ABA8.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What concerns me about the Stopsy and those like it is the effect of the door runner 'clunking' over the metal all the time, slightly raising/moving the door away from it's intended route of travel. That's why I made a temporary one which I used on my last camper using a foldback clip as it was sufficient to keep the door open either way on a slight slope but not so thick that it moved the runner excessively and I could easily take it off which I did in the end as I still wasn't happy with the way it moved the runner.

The best by far was the plastic block as the only way to move the door either way was to use the handle to pull the catch in to pass by it so no danger of it accidentally closing/opening or causing damage to the alignment of the runners.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back