DIY solar panel, gasit and insurance (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just updated Safeguard on my Replacement DIY solar panel fitting.....not keen to accept my DIY job but did in the end. But will not be covered for any damage, leaks from fitting etc. DIY gas It fit out of the question, only covered if fitted by a registered autogas dealer.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You just can't win with Insurance They only know tick boxes, they dont even know why they have tick boxes,
In my RV owning days my insurer threw a wobbly when i told them i had installed a UK tv
they asked why?
I said I didn't like The Jimmy Carson Show, seriously they could not work it out.
When I pointed out 99% of RV will have done the same and why they had, they excepted it
I hadn't the heart to mention the 110v to 240v conversion
To be fair if you dont mention any accessories / improvements dont be surprised if they wont pay for them if lost or damaged.
How do you value a DIY install? Parts only or do you want a payout for professional replacement?
If your Gas work is the cause of a total loss who do they (The Insurers) go after for their losses
Bloody annoying I know but to be 100% bomb (Excuse Pun) proof all DIY installs of any kind should be certified
But by who? I aint going to certify anything a DIYer has done
Its a right mixed up world we live in init:doh::doh:

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
You just can't win with Insurance They only know tick boxes, they dont even know why they have tick boxes,
In my RV owning days my insurer threw a wobbly when i told them i had installed a UK tv
they asked why?
I said I didn't like The Jimmy Carson Show, seriously they could not work it out.
When I pointed out 99% of RV will have done the same and why they had, they excepted it
I hadn't the heart to mention the 110v to 240v conversion
To be fair if you dont mention any accessories / improvements dont be surprised if they wont pay for them if lost or damaged.
How do you value a DIY install? Parts only or do you want a payout for professional replacement?
If your Gas work is the cause of a total loss who do they (The Insurers) go after for their losses
Bloody annoying I know but to be 100% bomb (Excuse Pun) proof all DIY installs of any kind should be certified
But by who? I aint going to certify anything a DIYer has done
Its a right mixed up world we live in init:doh::doh:
I am not to bothered about the gas It, but glad they accepted the solar panel and agree with your points. I used the correct same brand controller for the German control system and even put and extra in line fuse in the +ve output from the panel. Used heavy duty wiring throughout, so hopefully any electrical problems won't be my doing (y) As for the valuation......my time is precious :)

I just heard from my van storage guy, one of his customers van has blown up....I mean a detonation of the gas cylinder blown up....apparently caused by the fridge whilst on gas. Luckily they got out of the van just in time. So I hope for his sake there was no undeclared DIY gaswork there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I recently fitted VB air suspension myself and Safeguard wouldn’t accept diy fitting, I told them that VB we’re selling on EBay as a diy kit. They still wouldn’t accept installation and said that if any claims were made that were the cause of the VB kit they won’t pay up.
John.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Whilst the insurers argument has some merit, I would contend limited at best. What's the difference of connecting 2 ordinary gas bottles to the two tails compared to gasit, about 4 extra connections all similar so if they trust you to do 2 connecting the bottles what's the difference in skill. I never considered it so did not declare it, but I have had 2 factory annual checks which because of German requirements include certifying my gas system, passed both times!

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’m in the same mind as sallylillian on the gas front and I was also a gas safe plumber and heating engineer before retirement so I haven’t disclosed my Gaslow install with Safegaurd.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I agree but you have to except that they will not be paying out for repair or replacement
on anything not standard and not declared.
If you are happy with that then fair doo's so be it
Some kit can add up to a good few £1000s of pounds if not covered
leaving you seriously short on payout, even more so if the damage can be attributed to an undeclared DIY install

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Interesting thread, I'm with Safeguard and when getting quotes and taking out the cover with them I told them that I had put my Gaslow in and was putting on solar and an awning and they didn't make any comment whatsoever of any issues with my doing it. I know I've done it properly so I'm not concerned about any future implications that they 'may' throw if something happens to our camper but at least I did tell them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back