DIY Selfbuild kit (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Came across this interesting concept while looking for some toys for my Mog. May be helpful to someone wanting to build there own expedition vehicle.
Happy reading

UNIDAN DIY KIT - Unidan Engineering
Does this mean you've decided to keep yours now?

Thanks for the link (y)

Interesting that they use 29mm composite panels. I'd have thought this was a bit thin :unsure:

Can I ask what thickness you used and if you've found it sufficient?

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
30mm is typical for caravans.

Remember it's an Aussie based company so perhaps insulation isn't so high on their list... Lucky them!

Id been interested if my movano wasn't fixable either for a demountable truck or a iveco as discussed here recently...

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Does this mean you've decided to keep yours now?

Thanks for the link (y)

Interesting that they use 29mm composite panels. I'd have thought this was a bit thin :unsure:

Can I ask what thickness you used and if you've found it sufficient?
hahaha Well we are thinking about shipping it back to SA,
Yes I also spotted that, I assume its because of the Aus Climate that is not too cold. My truck has 62mm Panels.
If I were doing it again I would probably use 40mm panels, Although I have seen that Motorcraft also use slimmer panels. Its probably because you would install a heater and given the size of the space its not going to be overly difficult to keep it warm in the UK weather. We have not used a heater in our camper until recently and that was mainly to help with the condensation that was building up with using the gas stove.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
hahaha Well we are thinking about shipping it back to SA,
Yes I also spotted that, I assume its because of the Aus Climate that is not too cold. My truck has 62mm Panels.
If I were doing it again I would probably use 40mm panels, Although I have seen that Motorcraft also use slimmer panels. Its probably because you would install a heater and given the size of the space its not going to be overly difficult to keep it warm in the UK weather. We have not used a heater in our camper until recently and that was mainly to help with the condensation that was building up with using the gas stove.
Glad you're thinking of keeping it. Seems such a shame to part with it after all that work (y)

Still not decided whether to build another van, but if I do decide to go forwards, I'll get quotes for 40 & 50mm I think. It's not the keeping warm im winter that bothers me, it's keeping cool in the summer.

Our current van is heavily insulated and it's honestly cooler in the summer than any van we have ever owned or even been in. Important with a dog :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back