DIY on LPG? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys
Considering fitting GasIt refillable bottles myself. Also a BBQ connector which would require cutting into the 8mm copper pipework running from the regulator.
Have lots of plumbing experience so am not concerned from a practical aspect.
My only concern is if legally I can do this work?
Regards
Robert

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When you do it please post photos of the installation.

I have no qualms about fitting the system - have done gas filling in a previous house prior to the regs coming in - only leak was much later where a professional had fitted a new gas hob incorrectly, boy was that dangerous. The leak was on his new pipework not mine.

When you do it use leak detector and check, check, check again.

Don't put the filling point on the door to the locker. You do not want to move / flex or interfere with the pipes in any way once they are fitted and leak free. Test for leaks on a routine and regular basis.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Decided to let a professional mobile MH engineer fit the BBQ point. He quoted £120 to fit, including fitting the GasIt bottles. Not bad considering he's going to take responsibility for cuting two BIG holes is the side if my new MH. Plus I get a test certificate to show that there we no leaks. Plus I've made a saving of over £300 on what my local dealer quoted to do the same job using gaslow.
Fitting should be next week and I'll let you know how I got on.
Regards
Robert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is my gasit bottle installed, as you can see just like changeing a normal calor bottle
image.jpg

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Fitted mine a couple months ago ! as previously stated thoroughly check for leaks
2x 6kg bottles with auto change over and outside fill point .. to fill £17.50 definitely worth doing used to cost £20 just to refill one 6kg bottle
I also fitted BBQ point Broken Link Removed with inline 8mm Valve Broken Link Removed and Copper pipe Broken Link Removed
All in all about 2hrs install with a couple tinny breaks (y)
Hope the pics come out to give you some idea

Attachments

• IMG_1124.JPG
    IMG_1124.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1125.JPG
    IMG_1125.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 38
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi Guys
Considering fitting GasIt refillable bottles myself. Also a BBQ connector which would require cutting into the 8mm copper pipework running from the regulator.
Have lots of plumbing experience so am not concerned from a practical aspect.
My only concern is if legally I can do this work?
Regards
Robert

I fitted my BBQ point myself. Sorted myself out with all the bits, 8mm plastic coated pipe, 8mm tee etc. Cut the pipe on the MH and discovered it's 10mm. Took a couple of days to find a 10/10/8 tee.

Wetfoot001

Free Member
Apr 27, 2012
Staddiscombe
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
A few years
I'm in the process of fitting a refillable underslung LPG tank to our van (ALKO chassis). I had a quote of £500 (for installation only) from a mobile fitter to carry out the work, after local motorhome dealers shied away. I decided the plumbing (all external) is simple enough to do myself. I have purchased an 8mm Truma CGA 1054 electric remote isolation valve to shut off gas when transiting.
We had an odour of gas in the gas locker since purchasing the van which maybe down to the Calor Lite bottles recently exchanged under the recall. Once we have had the habitation check renewed we should be sound for the next continental tour.
IMG_1950[1].JPG

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
This is what i did to mine,

Attachments

• 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 28
  • 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 27

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Any update on your fitting Robert? And a general question for others, am I right in thinking it better to have an external filling valve, particularly for Europe and their apparent dislike of us filling for domestic use?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Any update on your fitting Robert? And a general question for others, am I right in thinking it better to have an external filling valve, particularly for Europe and their apparent dislike of us filling for domestic use?
Some will tell you to have an external fill point due to 'problems' but we haven't had this. We've had a system with the filler in our gas lockers since 2009, and in our current PVC we have to actually open the back door and then the gas locker to do it, so it is quite obvious what we're doing (and have been for well over 2 years) - we have used it extensively both here and abroad and have NEVER been refused filling! If it is easy to fit it externally then you might as well do so but as you have to ensure that the gas cylinder(s) is turned off before filling unless you travel with it turned off, you'd still have to open the locker to turn it off before filling anyway.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Was refused filling last year at the local Shell station as it was an in locker fill point. Pointed out the system but no dice - "more than my jobsworth". Now fill at BP station instead

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Was refused filling last year at the local Shell station as it was an in locker fill point. Pointed out the system but no dice - "more than my jobsworth". Now fill at BP station instead
Just to get a real feel for this, how long have you had your system and how many times have you been refused?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi,

Fitted a new gaslow system about 5 years ago to the first van with an external fill point and never had a problem. Moved the system to the last van but had a fill bracket in the locker between the two bottles. No problems until the local Shell station refused a fill last year based on an apparent edict from head office (maybe.....). Filled up at BP instead without issues. Fuel as well.........

Shell are known to take a zero compromise attitude to HSE and perhaps this is part of it. Only the one incident but it put me off Shell filling

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back