DIY motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Looks like it's either just shut down, for sale or sold then. Saw a Google results snippet saying it was for sale. Anybody know anything?

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
I spent a lot of time on there far too much I have realised since its closure. I logged on three or four times a day, along with this site and a few others I was spending too many hours of the day online. It was the jolt I needed, I have just too many other things to do. Jim changed the site a bit it was upgraded I think I dont fully understand what he did. Some members had a moan about it some thought it was ok. The next thing we all knew Jim had closed it and put it up for sale. He said if it was not sold it would disappear altogether, he gave a date for the closure if not sold but I cant remember it. john

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I had no idea (been a little preoccupied lately, so not on forums as often).
Shame as I liked the site :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
@Jim will fill you in when he sees this..

Now there's a story :)

I bought the domain and software for the DIY motorhome site around three years ago; after someone split from another forum and asked if I'd set one up. In those 3 years, I've paid out well over £500 in cash. Which includes the initial software purchases and the annual renewals, I’ve hosted it for free, working on it for free, backed it up etc etc, I’ve manually taken the time to approve every single member to ensure they were spam free. Ive pointed members from here to there which has probably cost me some subs here. Adverts on the site have earned me around £180 in three years. Clearly, I wasn't doing it for the money, it was costing me. I was doing it because I'm a motorhome enthusiast. and I have untold admiration for those with the skills and patience to build their own van, something totally beyond me. I love those picture stories where a van is slowly turned into a motorhome.

As many know, this summer I’ve had two kids in separate hospitals either side of the country, and yes I admit I could have reacted quicker to one of the original members constant emails about something as important as making a thread sticky. But it just wasn't important to me at the time. But life and death for him apparently. I should respond to him quicker! I think his resentment grew a few weeks ago when he wanted me to make him a moderator and or add founder member to his and a friends name which I refused to do. (because those titles spell the death warrant for forums)

The other day I spent a further 80$ on software upgrades and proceeded to upgrade the site. This guys attitude at my attempts to improve the site was absolutely awful, he moaned both publicly and privately without even a hint of appreciation. Clearly now it was a nice little forum this guy considered it his own and now resented my involvement somehow.

Then when I sat and thought about it I realised I must be mad to put up with him and PAY for the privilege with my time and money. SO I decided to close it. Since then I've heard that he and a couple of members were going to be setting up another forum of their own anyway. So if I had left it open I'd have just been paying to fill his forum as he surreptitiously sneaked members away. With the site closed he'll have to do that from scratch, the hard way and not with my money. Meanwhile, I will be writing to the self-builders, who are a great bunch and inviting them to discuss SelfBuilds here on Fun. They will or they won't. I'm just grateful to have stopped losing cash and having to put up with the moaning.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What gets me about this, is that @Jim did all the work, funded the hosting and software plus more. We all got a totally free forum that was to all intents and purposes ad free.
It was a great place for self builders. But due to a couple of ungrateful whinging bas^&ards we all suffer :(

Totally understand Jim's position on this and can fully understand his actions.. Shame those ungrateful few couldn't have shown the tiniest bit of gratitude and if they had suggestions posted them in a constructive and positive way. But no, they came across as self entitled and ungrateful.. So, so sad :(

Deleted User
Hi Jim, fully understand and the facts speak volumes for the effort you put in with no reward. I am pretty sure I know who the person is that you are referring to and is it a coincidence that he fell out with the other forum because it wasn't been done his way. There are plenty of knowledgeable members on this forum to answer any questions about self build and there is already an existing Self Build Motorhome section so this could just naturally progress.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Real shame @Jim But totally understandable.

I haven't been around on the site much over the last month, but during the time I was a member I saw it start to grow into a nice little community. The other reasonable size self-build site can be a little daunting to some. DIY seemed friendly, helpful and not judgemental. A place where ideas could be discussed freely :)

I'd hoped it would grow into a great self-builders knowledge base that imo is desperately needed. A resource that was free to all, approachable and informative. A place where anyone could ask any question without ridicule. A community that helped others build great and safe vans.

It's a real shame that because of a few individuals this now won't happen :(

Thanks for all your effort Jim, from someone who really appreciated that you funded this yourself making that info free to everyone.

David

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
That's the trouble with the internet and many of its forums and chat rooms...

It gives an opportunity to stupid people to air their views... (where would I be without it... :rofl:)

"When you are dead you don't know you are dead... it's only difficult for others.

It is the same if you are stupid."

JJ :cool:

Gary Wrench

Free Member
May 4, 2018
Funster No
I was surprised to see it go, was a really friendly helpful forum - obviously one idiot too though!
Had just started my build a week ago damn !

Hopefully those helpful people are on here too ??

Gary

Attachments

• F5C2EF10-68FF-44B8-9A5D-CED911AE537E.jpeg
    F5C2EF10-68FF-44B8-9A5D-CED911AE537E.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 43

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Hi Gary. Yes i'm on here (was pandj)
Was looking at your photos before the site was pulled. You've certainly got a wriggle on, looking good.
I've lost a lot of my suppliers and ideas as i'd bookmarked the site rather than writing it all down and saving the photos, so i'm pretty miffed about the site closing. Collecting my van on Thursday. Just got to try to remember everything.

It really is a great resource that's been lost.
Good luck with yours.

Paul

Gary Wrench

Free Member
May 4, 2018
Funster No
Hi Paul, exited for Thursday then !
Don’t forget pictures of plain van !
I have all my windows in, awning on, passenger swivel in. Tried to fit drivers swivel but seem they don’t fit suspension drivers seat any more, damn. Supplier was as miffed as me!
Bed frame and 1m actuators next but might have to order the fridge to get a final position for one leg doh !
Will stall a bit soon as I have to move my business from one unit to another - absolute nightmare !

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
I've got to move my workshop too in the next couple of months so know what you're going through.
Bloody heads alll over the place at the moment trying to co-ordinate everything.
What make of swivel did you go for? From what i recall on 'diy' the cta were a bit flimsier than the sports craft but cheaper and the sports craft had a lever that stuck out.
Think i'm going for a bonded window on the slide door.

Gary Wrench

Free Member
May 4, 2018
Funster No
I’m in two units just now, trying to paint new one first and failing.. move in 24th and have to be painted out of the other two by 28th heaven help me! Still waiting for mezzanine floor to be fitted grr

I’ve had the Sportscraft, very happy with it, heavy duty, better than the one I have in my Transporter but can’t remember what make that was. I use Jennings seats as they are a stones throw from my current unit, supply most converters.

I really wanted bonded glass and after fitting these wish I had gone down that route.. but with a rear lounge fittting bonded at the front and openers at the back just didn’t look right in my opinion.

Might have another to build soon- nothing special just to carry my trail bike and generally just one or two nights away, that’ll definitely have bonded ! The current one is the family van and a replacement for our 6 berth caravan, ready for France and Spain next summer.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
I'm just going for one window, i'm keeping the holes in the side to a minimum so I can adjust the layout if required as I'm sure i won't get it right first time.
Did you go for an offset swivel on the passenger side?
I'm pretty sure i'm going for the sports craft with swivel on passenger side.
just got to decide if i need the lowered seat base or not, I'm 6 foot and it may be a bit too much.

Gary Wrench

Free Member
May 4, 2018
Funster No
It’s not an offset swivel, move the seat forward on the runners a little to turn. I thought the seat was very high when I fitted it today then realised I could use the buttons on the side to lower it quite a long way front and rear. Decent enough height now, but I’m only 5’9”

Coire

Free Member
Sep 12, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Trafic
Exp
Since 2015
I signed up here purely to thank @Jim for his work on DIYmotorhome.

I'm sad to see it go, its was a small enough group to be friendly and large enough to be helpful. A gem of a find.

Sadly there was a small minority of self important and ungrateful keyboard warriors who had a lot to say but little to contribute.

I've been in enough small clubs and interest groups to see this over and over. There's always one or two who want to be in control of everything, to be at the centre of attention, and are unable to cope with differing views. Sitting at a keyboard behind a pseudonym amplifies this in many people as they feel anonymous. Thus, the egocentric armchair expert can drown out the quiet majority.

Personally I loved the forum updates and the friendly feel and I'll miss it.

Not sure how much I'll be involved here. Will have a delve into the forums and check them out, but it seems a different beast entirely.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure how much I'll be involved here. Will have a delve into the forums and check them out, but it seems a different beast entirely.
Welcome to fun. It is a very friendly place with the only strong arguments really in the Belly Locker area. You can mark forums as hidden if you just want to stick to motorhome stuff.

It's a great forum :)

Jul 31, 2016
Fife
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Another great resource gone, I joined here after I'd joined the DIYmotorhomes site, to support Jim & his willingness to help a group of self builders out.

I've not been very well for the past month so was not on the site as much as usual & to my surprise it's no longer there.
I'm quite disappointed that some individuals can't seem to see reason & let things develop on the site at there own pace, but it only takes a couple to spoil it for the rest!

Phill

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Why didn't you just ban the member @Jim ?

It sorts people out on here, shouldn't be any different over there.. It's your website after all (y)

Edit. No rush (or even obligation) to answer :)

t colquitt

Free Member
Sep 12, 2018
glengormley
Funster No
MH
iveco
Exp
Came on here just to thank jim as i was on the site from not long after it started,i loved it even though it was qt some times but mainly full of people who know what they were doing,you could have charged £10 a head for folk to join up and rules so naughty folk could be sent to the sin bin/scrubbed out,cheers roadrunner.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Came on here just to thank jim as i was on the site from not long after it started,i loved it even though it was qt some times but mainly full of people who know what they were doing,you could have charged £10 a head for folk to join up and rules so naughty folk could be sent to the sin bin/scrubbed out,cheers roadrunner.
Sorry for being thick but what does qt mean?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome over here(y) You can ask and get answers to almost everything you want to know,just like the DIY forum;) in fact a lot of the DIY lot are members on here :D
The only difference is you will get lots of the same advice and tips (y) but will also get some of the technical advice that does not always ? Let's say cost effective for some DIY build's ;)At the end of the day it's your build so your choice
Looking good (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
sorry to see it go as it was a big help in converting my ambulance but if that's how it is, I don't blame you and as others have said its just as easy to post on here

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Hi and welcome over here(y) You can ask and get answers to almost everything you want to know,just like the DIY forum;) in fact a lot of the DIY lot are members on here :D
The only difference is you will get lots of the same advice and tips (y) but will also get some of the technical advice that does not always ? Let's say cost effective for some DIY build's ;)At the end of the day it's your build so your choice
Looking good (y)

I agree that questions asked on fun will get plenty of answers but....

On the short time on diy I found I received more relevant answers to questions. I think because the answers were coming straight from people who had actually done a conversion etc. Weve been members of fun for several years and it is a fantastic source of information but having recently started our own selfbuild found diy more detailed in that area. Hopefully some of the members will come to fun and use the selfbuild section.

Shawn

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I agree that questions asked on fun will get plenty of answers but....

On the short time on diy I found I received more relevant answers to questions. I think because the answers were coming straight from people who had actually done a conversion etc. Weve been members of fun for several years and it is a fantastic source of information but having recently started our own selfbuild found diy more detailed in that area. Hopefully some of the members will come to fun and use the selfbuild section.

Shawn
Lots of Funsters went onto the DIY forum when it started, so we are still around (y) Anything you want to know or get advice on simply ask in the DIY/header section on here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back