Free Member
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Don’t have a MH yet, just planning ahead…

Looking at alarm and tracking options… being handy with computer tech, my initial thoughts are why can’t I do this myself…

Install own Wi-Fi router with 4G dongle… that’ll give all my devices Wi-Fi, so long as I have a mobile signal of course. Cost = have all this anyway, sim = £6/month, unlimited data (effectively).

Get an old iPhone… I have one somewhere, plug it into a 12v/usb charger, out of sight, and use that as my tracker. I could add a very cheap SIM card on a different network to my Wi-Fi, so would have good coverage. Cost = next to nothing.

Install Ring alarm system, these are Wi-Fi devices with 3g fallback. All sensors are battery powered, base unit uses very few watts. Could add battery powered/rechargable camera‘s, door sensors, pir, etc quite cheaply. Benefit of Ring is that it calls you, and a set of backup numbers (friends, family) if the alarm is triggered. Cost = around £300 for the system with sensors and camera. £80 a year for monitoring and video recording.

Finally, would probably tape an Apple AirTag somewhere out of sight for back-up tracking. If MH was stolen and it was near a suitable phone, it would send me the location in real-time. Cost = £29, battery lasts a year. I have these on my keys, dog, and robot lawnmower already.

i know insurance might be cheaper if I have an approved system, but my quote is only around £350 for insurance anyway, so can’t imagine I’d actually save much.

Am I missing something, or does this seems a decent approach?

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
If you are techie, then it's probably not a bad idea. Better than nothing, but won't compete with a Vanbitz Growler and Immobilizer. :ROFLMAO:
As you say, won't help with insurance. Possible downside is that (apparently) thieves use jammers to block mobile signals. It would be interesting to know how many actually do use one. Also, it would be good to include flashing lights to show it is alarmed, and also a siren to deter any would be thief from staying around. Other visible physical deterrents are also a good idea - steering wheel lock, clutch-claw, driver's seat locked backwards etc

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tony68000

Free Member
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
If you are techie, then it's probably not a bad idea. Better than nothing, but won't compete with a Vanbitz Growler and Immobilizer. :ROFLMAO:
As you say, won't help with insurance. Possible downside is that (apparently) thieves use jammers to block mobile signals. It would be interesting to know how many actually do use one. Also, it would be good to include flashing lights to show it is alarmed, and also a siren to deter any would be thief from staying around. Other visible physical deterrents are also a good idea - steering wheel lock, clutch-claw, driver's seat locked backwards etc
Good call. Steering wheel lock, etc, sounds like a good idea.

Ring comes with a super loud siren by default. Subject to Wi-Fi/mobile signal, I could get instant notifications from each sensor, live video, and then remotely reset it if it seemed a random event. Not trying to sell Ring, but it‘s a great wireless alarm. ‘Sleeping‘ mode disables all the internal sensors - pir’s etc, and leaves the door sensors live, for example.

Our main concern is when leaving the van whilst camping and taking the dog for a walk, etc. would probably have a couple of iPads and a laptop in there and would constantly worry. I could see myself putting them in a backpack and taking them with me!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Jul 23, 2020
Lightwater
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2007
How about a Vodafone Trackit device that costs around £20 and £2 per month hidden and wired in to a USB adapter to keep it charged. Has a Geofence facility and via an on-line portal tracks the exact GPS location.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tony68000

Free Member
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
How about a Vodafone Trackit device that costs around £20 and £2 per month hidden and wired in to a USB adapter to keep it charged. Has a Geofence facility and via an on-line portal tracks the exact GPS location.
That’s a great idea. Currently £15 and £1.50 a month For 24 months!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Is often a condition of the Insurance company that require an approved tracker system.
If not you could always use an old iPhone and use ‘find me’ or whatever it’s called. Can’t use the apple tracker disks as they send out an audio alarm which would notify the thief.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
do you have one of these? it seems like a very good option to add another layer of security to the alarm system and visible deterrents. we also have a camera in the motorhome (we have it parked at home luckily), that automatically records up 10 1 minute of video at a time and stores it in a cloud somewhere ..... that we can view on our mobile phones. Just another layer of protection ....

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We use one on my sons own work van.
Tracking system with history and instant location.
Not ins company creditable but effective.
Can also be left t permanently on charge via USB port.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tony68000

Free Member
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
I’ve just ordered a vodaphone tracker. £15 and £1.50 a month seems perfect. I was going to go with an old phone, but this is a much better option.

I’ve got a wifi camera ready to fit. At home it’ll be linked to our home alarm system, and covered by two 4k cameras on my CCTV system, and remotely we’ve got an RUT955 router ready to fit with a Smarty Sim (on the 3 network). I might drop in an O2 sim too, but might be overkill!

I’ll probably write this setup up properly in case anyone else finds it interesting or useful…

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back