DIY Alpine + Focal instead of Hymer Zenec option. Am I crazy ? (1 Viewer)

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Hi

Nearing the time of placing the order for our MH, I'm going over the extras to select. On the topic of radio + nav + cameras, Hymer has a pretty expensive extra at 3,000€ that includes everything including a dual-view rear camera and a camera over the waste water pipe that might indeed prove handy.

Only problem, besides the price, is that the Zenec unit has a dreadful reputation and I'd like to have a front camera as well. While I'm at it, I appreciate a good sounding stereo.

So the plan I'm thinking of is this:

- Alpine ILX-702D multimedia 7" head unit
- Alpine cameras rear, front and over the waste water pipe. Their cameras are HDR and seem pretty good, including several view modes that might prove useful
- Alpine custom amplifier KTP 445a
- Focal speakers ISU165, sub woofer Ibus 2.0 and sound deadening in the doors

Video on the Alpine cameras:

I'm pretty sure I can fit that myself.

The whole thing is going to cost a bit less than 2,000€. Still pretty expensive, I know, but I reckon should be better than the Hymer option.

Has anyone tried to do something like that? Am I crazy to consider it?

Thanks!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think your spot on.... the gear you’ve suggested is good quality tried and tested equipment and if you can fit your self will be a better installation... please take photos of your progress on fitting as many on here will very much appreciate the information....(y)

And welcome to the forum...:welcomesign:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have a Zenec unit absolutely no back up in the UK, if it fails again it will be replaced with a Kenwood.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds a good plan. We have the Zenec and it’s OK but not worth the price they charge - it came as part of a special edition pack so didn’t have a choice.

One thing to watch though is if you have the Multimedia package it includes a surround sound amplifier. This cuts the head unit connection to all the front speakers and powers them itself when you turn on the tv. This might complicate your installation a bit.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Anyone had the Zenec unit out of the dash to add an extra camera to the spare input - nothing obvious to me to access it? I thought it would be accessed via the tilt up tablet holder that has a couple of visible screws underneath but its still locked in when they are removed?
Dethleffs Alpa I on a Ducato base

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Anyone had the Zenec unit out of the dash to add an extra camera to the spare input - nothing obvious to me to access it? I thought it would be accessed via the tilt up tablet holder that has a couple of visible screws underneath but its still locked in when they are removed?
Easy with the right tools.
upload_2019-6-3_14-57-11.png

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
At the bottom edge of the Zenec push a plastic lever in at 45 degrees then lift carefully this will release the unit so you can draw it out.
Or at least that is how I got mine out.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes you need to put a long bar (I used a screwdriver) Dow through the air vents each side and keeping it upright pull towards you this in pops the vents allowing access to the sides of head unit, from there I prised it out it does come out with a rush if you are not careful so take a bit of time with it there are cables for extra things all labelled.(y)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I've had the Zenec for 2 years and it is ok but that is about it. As Steve has said, support is non existent and Hymer refer you back to Zenec. I use an old tablet for satnav.
One day I might wire it to the hab battery, the Merc cab switch powers between ignition and non ignition to the engine battery

OP
OP
StephDeLux

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Sounds a good plan. We have the Zenec and it’s OK but not worth the price they charge - it came as part of a special edition pack so didn’t have a choice.

One thing to watch though is if you have the Multimedia package it includes a surround sound amplifier. This cuts the head unit connection to all the front speakers and powers them itself when you turn on the tv. This might complicate your installation a bit.

No plan to take the multimedia package, for basically the same reasons.
We are films and series addicts, but I think the Broken Link Removed has great potential for that.

Thanks all for your helpful replies :)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Zenec is total crap, have only used mine in the Flair for Nav once, never again.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
At the bottom edge of the Zenec push a plastic lever in at 45 degrees then lift carefully this will release the unit so you can draw it out.
Or at least that is how I got mine out.
@Steve and Denise
Thanks for that. Unit came out in one piece!
Thought that would be the biggest problem sorted but now need to find a cable route without dismantling the complete cab!

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
@Steve and Denise
Thanks for that. Unit came out in one piece!
Thought that would be the biggest problem sorted but now need to find a cable route without dismantling the complete cab!
Our video cable went down to a box ie pre amp then the cable went to the off side RH floor height then to the rear and up to roof height after the hab door.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back