Free Member
Dec 7, 2008
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Not decided yet
Exp
Just researching at the moment
Any sports (PADI-BSAC) divers / commercial proffesional divers in the community??:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Bill

Yes i dive, in fact im a PADI staff instructor but dont get much time to teach anymore :cry:.

When we decide to chuck our chips in over here and live in Turkey :thumb: i plan on teaching diving again for a school near our house in Turkey as i do miss it very much.

Wifee and I are off to Sharm :Cool: at Easter for a week so i will do a days diving while she soaks up the sun, I love it in Egypt :thumb:

Got quite a few good friends who are also instructors and another who dives commercially, in fact hes at Fort William doing his sat diving course at the moment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Yep (well in spirit)

I used to dive extensively, but the diving started to peter out when I moved to Taunton from Brixham in 1996.

Am determined this year to loose some weight (I refused to buy big fat bastard sized semi dry suit) and to start again.

The guys that I used to dive with all still dive and I am going to do a refresher course rather than "jump in the deep end!

I now spend a lot more time down n Brixham so can get back into it

Eddie (SAA diver)

OP
OP
12-Bolt

12-Bolt

Free Member
Dec 7, 2008
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Not decided yet
Exp
Thanks for the heads-up lads.
I qualified as a ships diver in the Royal Navy in 1974-ish. On leaving (79) went straight into civils diving which meant that I could be anywhere in the Uk diving in some of the crapiest locations that you could imagine and also some that you would'nt or could'nt. A shit outfall in Lossiemouth comes to mind.
The company that I worked for was Fox diving in Giffnock just outside Glasgow. He unfortnately went bust and I headed out to the Middle East and basically never looked back. Dived on air to maximum depths of (-) 220 feet on air, that was until all the legislation came in. Air cutoff is now (-) 165, whereby anthing deeper is done on mixed gas (HEO2) or Sat diving.
Not so active as I was was commercially as I do most of my diving from the control box watching what is happening through a camera mounted on a divers nut.
My son and I actually qualified as PADI Open water divers at Puffin in Oban. her nibs, not wanting to be outdone decided to do hers in Key West Florida. Nice diving there.
During family holidays we always get a couple of dips in. On the 10th of May 2011 I officially hang up my working fins and will call it a day. Not too long now. :thumb:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I qualified as a Rescue Diver and MFA with PADI. Not been diving for at least 8 years, so a bit out of practice.:ROFLMAO:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi bill
Sheree and me are both open-water divers, hoping to do our advanced this year and go find my grandfathers ship which lays off the welsh coast.
At least that's the plan !!!

regards...nige

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Hi,dived everyweek for about 12 years,got to dive leader and did deep water rescue qual.
spent about 5 to 6 years training others in saa,although i was first at bsac.Not dived for about 5 years but do intend at taking up again at somepoint.
DAVE

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
I dive regularly, not bad when you get used to the taste! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi bill
Sheree and me are both open-water divers, hoping to do our advanced this year and go find my grandfathers ship which lays off the welsh coast.
At least that's the plan !!!

regards...nige

What ship would that be then?? Ive dived a few wrecks of Wales and your grandfathers ship may have been 1 of them!!:thumb:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi Dazzer
It's the MV Norfolk Coast, lost in 1945
Granddad was second officer and went down along with most of the crew courtesy of a german torpedo.
To my knowledge the wreck hasn't been found or if it has it hasn't been identified.

(off topic....apologies)

Regards....nige

OP
OP
12-Bolt

12-Bolt

Free Member
Dec 7, 2008
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Not decided yet
Exp
Hi Dazzer
It's the MV Norfolk Coast, lost in 1945
Granddad was second officer and went down along with most of the crew courtesy of a german torpedo.
To my knowledge the wreck hasn't been found or if it has it hasn't been identified.

(off topic....apologies)

Regards....nige

If this is the same one she is sitting in (-) 44 meters at the keel and the highest point is (-) 28 meters. Safe and careful diving chaps, and remember plan the dive and dive the PLAN. :thumb:

Ricklister

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Funster No
SSI Open Water and Padi AOW here

Just back from the Maldives diving for a week, dived in Argeles sur Mer last summer when camping down there also

Some pics here Link Removed

OP
OP
12-Bolt

12-Bolt

Free Member
Dec 7, 2008
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Not decided yet
Exp
SSI Open Water and Padi AOW here

Just back from the Maldives diving for a week, dived in Argeles sur Mer last summer when camping down there also

Some pics here Link Removed

When was Gozo DSC 1700 scuttled, artificial reef?? :Cool:

Ricklister

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Funster No
The boat was the MV Karwela I think, it was sunk a couple of months before we dived it

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I used to dive many years ago BSAC trained, but lost my nerve after an incident at Stoney Cove at 75 feet. I can't even use a snorkel now, wimp or what ? :cry: :cry: :cry:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I used to dive many years ago BSAC trained, but lost my nerve after an incident at Stoney Cove at 75 feet. I can't even use a snorkel now, wimp or what ? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Or what! Don't beat yourself up about it. We all have phobias, many of which seem completely irrational; yours is anything but irrational.

I qualified PADI Advanced, but haven't dived for about 6 years or so. Sometimes miss it. Might pluck up courage to do a refresher sometime.:Smile:

Hate cold water though.
Brrrr__These_Cold__Onion_by_ElCerbero.gif
Learn't my diving in Suva, Fiji,
Island_Paradise_by_1_n_d_1_a.gif
which rather spoilt me for the cold and murky. If I can't do it in a lycra suit (or at most a 3mm steamer) it's too cold, and if I can't see 15 metres it's no fun.

Just spoilt I guess.

John

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
padi advanced open water was a diver in royal engineers before going offshore ended up in the drilling still dive with my son all year round
last dive was just before christmass

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi. I trained with BSAC, qualified as an Advanced Instructor and Instructor Trainer and was regional coach for 8 years. I have done around 3,000 dives but now do not do as much diving as I used to, but do still get in the water occasionally.

Currently I am typing this in the diving centre w
hich I sometimes help out in.

Mike in Gozo, Malta

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
Hi.

Only just noticed this thred and thought I'd add to it.

Started diving in the late seventies as a teenager, used to love it, BSAC 3rd class / sport diver as it change to i think, couldn't really be bothered chasing qualifications, just wanted to get out there and do it. 200 or so open water UK dives. Couldn't imagine ever not doing it.

Its through sub aqua that Sally and I met, and life changes, children come along, time and financial restraints not forgetting fitness. Stopped in early 90s

Still got all my old gear but that belongs in a museum now. Fenzy ABLJ anyone. Found my old dry suit a couple of years ago and tried it on, no chance. Fits my son well though.

On Holliday in Turkey 5 or 6 years ago I went on a boat trip and had a couple of dives, wondered how I would cope, no problem took to it straight away like I'd never stopped.

Who knows maybe in the future, cost of re equipping and fitness allowing.

Pete

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Yep, active BSAC DL & OWI.

Kit lives in me vans 'garage' and take very opportunity :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back