Diverting rainwater out of the engine bay? (1 Viewer)

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Hi all - I’ve a 2018 Model Transit and just getting around to the issue of stopping all the rainwater pouring into the engine bay when it’s wet out!

Water currently enters the engine bay on both offside and nearside ends of the windscreen drainage channels (is it called a skuttle?).

I’ve also noted that water also enters at 2 other points a 1/3rd of the way along on both sides, running down a bracket below the skuttle.

A couple of pics to illustrate...
6E269F2C-BDA5-4B51-AE24-612628AA3D51.jpeg

Water “damage” from running in from drainage channel below windscreen.

96B7F479-DFFD-4D6C-82CF-58D59749892D.jpeg

Water running down bracket below windscreen, dripping onto gearbox (general area).

A786F433-E14C-4076-8387-E5B7A4393F9D.jpeg

Water lying on the engine / gearbox and pooling in the holes of the assembly.

C6D0D9EB-CBC2-43EA-82FC-A3B5517477BA.jpeg

Nearside draining “channel” - which clearly doesn’t do its job as water then runs down into the engine bay via holes in the panels.

So..... what can be done??

I think I can use some hose / plastic / sealant to improve the channels at each ends to ensure no water is diverted into the engine bay at the sides; but what can be done with the sealing the 2 brackets sitting approx 1/3rd in on each side?

Has anyone remedied them?

Of course, perhaps the thing I should be doing is making a formal complaint to Ford and get them to fix it (the van was registered on 2019 and this has plenty of warranty left on it.

Any thoughts?

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
I had water dripping into the engine too but cured it by cutting open a plastic milk bottle (keeping the handle as part of the 'fix') - the spade like result is taped under where you've circled so now any water collects and drips away between the engine and radiator via the handle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It's hard to imagine however light commercial vehicles have a very short life in the main, thus manufacturers pay little attention to longevity, even spares are short lived from the original factory usually only 7 years. So this type of issue is one off the crosses motorhome owners need to address individually .
I suspect someone with a 3D printer will fashion a fix, if you look in another thread you will find a man who does just that.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Hi

Allied to this, has anyone undersealed the chassis of thier ford cab / pvc?

I'm getting a new one end of week and hope it will last a good few years. Do they need undersealing still or are the galvanised?

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It took Fiat years to seal the Ducato drain and that's the biggest conversion model - designed to be kept for many many years as a motorhome. Underseal not nessessary these days. IMHO

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back