Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Although I prefer Garmin they're not perfect or foolproof if you want a satnav to think for you and take you to every destination perfectly then you're gonna be dissapointed. If mine wants to send me down a narrow lane I ignore it carry on and let it recalculate but I always know which way I should be heading as I look at a map before starting a journey. If you rely solely on satnavs to guide you everywhere then you're gonna be unhappy whatever model you buy.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We all need to remember that a sat nav is only a tool.

Lots of us came to this conclusion yesterday when a Polish artic came up our very narrow lanes with right-angle bends and wedged itself beautifully. Following his satnav ! Not taking notice of the 7.5t signs.

Two tractors and much traffic diversion by local plod and the road was open in only 2 hours.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our Garmin has an option of car, bus or truck we tend to leave it on bus and so far not taken us down any really wee roads might have been a squeeze fitting a bus on the ferry in France though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Link Removed

look good for the money just waiting for the seller to be back from holiday to ask some questions
uk seller but based in china,don,t know how that works

I bought the 7 inch screen truck version from this seller [navibuzz] in February seller is in china but item sent from Glasgow .
Brilliant to deal with not a lot of instructions with it but sorted out a couple of minor issues via e -mail
Only use it as a basic sat nav not tried poi or anything technical but it gives at least 3 alternative routes easy 1 , 2, fastest and economical, good lane guidance got us through some very complicated junctions around Nottingham last week no problem if you make a mistake it recalculates the route within a couple of hundred yards
Screen can be a bit difficult to see in very bright sunlight but they sell a cowl to combat this ,must get one before the summer.
Well worth the money in my opinion and with free map updates for life[ for the over sixtys] :ROFLMAO:

dave e
Easy to use with post code or co-ordinates

Last edited:

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
ditching tomtom

Absolutely right Jim. Having suported TOMTOM for years I bought three 1005. Every one of them has been replaced by Amazon and I, on my fourth, could not get cameras on it because TOMTOM could not get it on the account after hours of mine and their efforts. Useless.
I have bought a Garmin NuLink 2390 and its been superb, accurate and it learns your regular routes. Garmin pick up the phone an help you. Its battery life is better, it fires up quickly......

Phil

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are using our new Tom Tom now in France and I hate it.

If it can save a hundred yards instead of staying on the main route it will take us down dried river beds.

Every trip I have to look it up on the map and of course the road numbers do not, or seldom match the map.

The safest way I have found is to always set it to go via somewhere and if necessary re programme it when I get where we have set it to go via.

My old Tom Tom Go was far better.

I agree with that - we have the new maps and I too noticed the number of 'daft' routes it tried to take us on had increased ...

I also observed it whilst we were travelling along and noticed that lots of what appear to be private roads/drives and even farmers tracks into fields are marked on the maps as 'roads'!!!

Last edited:

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Tomtom

Apple will own tomtom within the year. Its the only way the necessary investment in Apple maps can happen and the only way to save Tomtom
Philk

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Day (TT) do dat with roundabouts too, take the 5th exit or whatever and there are only 3 when you get there, the other two are cycle tracks or earth rds into a field.

But anyway driving anywhere, you aren't supposed to turn either your eyes or your brain off - you know like when he's insisting you ought to turn left and you can see the No Entry sign, you just tell him to sod off and then ignore him till he's prepared to speak to you sensibly again LOL

I expect nobody told the puter programmer it's now a one way street.

No point in getting arsey with it, is it? :roflmto:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Have only had Garmins so can't compare with other makes.

Old StreetPilot, superb for an old machine but couldn't update maps in the end.

nuvi 2460 lasted about 4 or 5 months, closed down never to work again. Fast, good screen, a bit erratic and couldn't quite relax with it. But a lot of satnav for the price.

Replaced with a new nuvi 2460 as I reckon lightning doesn't strike twice. Yes it does after 2 months! Same problem except it will restart and stay on for about 20 seconds

Replaced with nuvi 2595, best yet,to the point when travelling alone a varied route of more than 1000 kms recently, with numerous via points I forgot I was using it (until it tried to something silly which they all do to one degree or another). That's the biggest praise I can give the nuvi 2595 is it feels natural and very much in the background.

Bought again from Amazon including lifetime maps

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LGTLWQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00[/ame]

If this Garmin fails within a year or so don't knoiw where to go really, they all appear to have problems, but really like this one.

If you haven't used a garmin before and buy one, get someone to show you the basics, it's not all obvious until you understand it, if that makes sense.

Hope this helps

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We did have the TT 700, then upgraded to the TT720, which is what we currently use, but with the latest truck mapping on the SD card. It's very good, and allows you to input your vehicle and axle dimensions/weights, after choosing car/van/bus/truck. :thumb:

The battery power though is absolute pants. :Sad:

Cheers,

Jock.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
i have never had any probs with my Tom Tom had it for many years our van has the Luton i also have a i phone and the sat nav app you can download is brill

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Varmints

We've been using a Garmin 660t for a few years now, we particularly like that it names the road you are next to turn into rather than just saying next left.
It also has hands free capabilities which work very well.
It came with lifetime updates so twice a year we can upgrade the maps, our only gripe is the memory is now too small for all the upgrades but we are looking into increasing that.

There are 3 other makes of sat nav in our family, without a doubt everyone prefers the Garmin.:thumb:

rhodos

Free Member
Oct 3, 2012
carlisle
Funster No
MH
Swift Belero
Exp
Sat navs

I still have a Tom Tom 700 but only now use it in the car,after coming stuck (literally) in a very narrow gap on a couple of occasions in rural France,with my 7m van.:shout:
I was unable to upgrade the Tom Tom to a version to enable me to load my van size and weight to avoid the above situations.:Sad:
I invested in a Snooper which fits the bill very well::bigsmile:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
uk seller but based in china,don,t know how that works

I bought the 7 inch screen truck version from this seller [navibuzz] in February seller is in china but item sent from Glasgow .
Brilliant to deal with not a lot of instructions with it but sorted out a couple of minor issues via e -mail
Only use it as a basic sat nav not tried poi or anything technical but it gives at least 3 alternative routes easy 1 , 2, fastest and economical, good lane guidance got us through some very complicated junctions around Nottingham last week no problem if you make a mistake it recalculates the route within a couple of hundred yards
Screen can be a bit difficult to see in very bright sunlight but they sell a cowl to combat this ,must get one before the summer.
Well worth the money in my opinion and with free map updates for life[ for the over sixtys] :ROFLMAO:

dave e
Easy to use with post code or co-ordinates[/QUOTE]

I liked the sound of this and had a quick look via ebay link, very impressed, particularly as they do a version with bluetooth AND reverse camera for £79,
any one else tried these ?,
Thanks, maxsdad,
Berrdrinker1 :thumb::drink:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
A problem with AL:L satnavs including tom tom becasme apparent when driving landrovers, and can be magnified on MH,s...it certainly is on vans anf HGV's.
The large body, plus overcab, plus heated windscreen (if fitted) can prevent signal from getting through.
I fitted an external (tomtom) ariel after getting pissed off with no signal after exiting tunnels in Austria,.......it works for me, and certainly helps in the Mh to get through the overcab issue.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
A problem with AL:L satnavs including tom tom becasme apparent when driving landrovers, and can be magnified on MH,s...it certainly is on vans anf HGV's.
The large body, plus overcab, plus heated windscreen (if fitted) can prevent signal from getting through.
I fitted an external (tomtom) ariel after getting pissed off with no signal after exiting tunnels in Austria,.......it works for me, and certainly helps in the Mh to get through the overcab issue.
Maybe that accounts for the slight delay our TT appears to suffer, ie, I'm at the exit I need on the roundabout, before the TT catches up, or is that a normal characteristic of all TTs? :whatthe:

Cheers,

Jock.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Link Removed