Ditch the desktop for chromebook? (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
My PC has died, after at least 8 years its dead..rip

Went to buy a new PC but now tempted by a chrome book instead and embracing the cloud,

Comments please

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Went to buy a new PC but now tempted by a chrome book instead and embracing the cloud,

Comments please

hi Paul if your PC was 8 yrs old you can get a 10x s better one for 150 quid :winky: have a look on Ebuyer --me- still like the pc better than a laptop but must admit I like the tablet also
terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Comments please
Dont know what I am talking about but am I right in thinking they run Lynux not Windows. Ok as long as you have an internet connection. That is it, all I have.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Do you need USB for GPS/satnag etc?

I still need a Windows PC to load walking routes and maps on my Garmin GPS. Also to get lifetime map updates from Garmin and to load Archies Campings POI onto the Garmin sat nav.
I take just an Android tablet and phone in the van and sync with Google Chrome on the PC in case of loss.
I also use Open Street Maps on my GPS for walking/biking maps for most of Europe and Garmin Mapsource software is best for this and my PC is essential.

I think that WIFI aeriels only work on Windows so possibly another consideration!!

Ah, the world of choice we live in.:Confused:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Dont know what I am talking about but am I right in thinking they run Lynux not Windows. Ok as long as you have an internet connection. That is it, all I have.:Smile:

Strictly speaking they don't have an operating system....they just do it all in the cloud

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Think of it like its an android tablet with a keyboard, but at a fraction of the cost. Great for surfing, and plenty of functionality via lots of apps etc. can't run any Microsoft programs or multi task, but as an Internet tool and if you use google mail and docs, they are hard to beat and the low cost make them a winner:thumb:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
My main concern would be using the laptop on WIFI connections with poor bandwidth, as often happens when i'm away in the van. I think it really depends on what you want the machine to do and where.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Strictly speaking they don't have an operating system....they just do it all in the cloud

what you basically have is a chrome browser front end to a linux os. All geared to running with web apps.the experience is meant to be Very similar to standard chrome browser with its web apps etc

Lots of positives and negatives but also very dependant on how you want to use them...I tried a version of it on a netbook and found it a tad limiting as it really needed a web connection for a lot of things....and a good one at that. And a lot of chrome books have very limited local storage which didnt work for me

cloud is great for some stuff...but arse at others if your on a slow link. And not forgetting you have to get the stuff up there first...and uploading is a tad slow..so depends on what you want to put up there..

my suggestion would be...get an old laptop or use an old one you may have loafing about and blow a copy of chrome os from chromium projects onto it and try it out first. This isnt the pucker chrome os...it a version of it but close enough to see if you can live with it

whats died on your pc btw...may be easily fixable..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If all your data is stored in a cloud rather than by you then it is under the control of the cloud owners. If you are happy then OK, I prefer to retain control :Smile:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well gone for a full restore and lost Nikkis docs and now running the PC as a chromebook essentially and dumped all the rubbish...will see how long it lasts :Cool:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my god, what an abomination the google operating system is! no internet or poor connection you cant do much. even when you do have a connection, using it you have agreed that your documents are free for google to use as they see fit. you cant run windows software on it, so no updating your gps or sat nav

read the serious reviews written by professionals and you will see what i am saying is not just my opinion

seriously, if youre used to an 8 year old pc a basic entry level laptop at ÂŁ250 will be a huge step up. you can also migrate all your documents and many programs over too (run older software in compatibility mode). buy a bargain as most places are selling off the last windows 7 systems cut price now

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Think of it like its an android tablet with a keyboard, but at a fraction of the cost. Great for surfing, and plenty of functionality via lots of apps etc. can't run any Microsoft programs or multi task, but as an Internet tool and if you use google mail and docs, they are hard to beat and the low cost make them a winner:thumb:
Probably another silly question, can you skype with them.:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back