Dissertation on The Motorhome (1 Viewer)

ben daughtry

Free Member
Nov 23, 2017
Funster No
I am a final year BA Architecture student at Westminster University and new owner of a 1989 Pilote Talbot Express Motorhome. After enjoying a few trips in the UK, I have decided to write my dissertation on the social aspect of ‘motor-homing’ in the UK.

The subject of motorhome living particularly interests me as the home is a mobile space and the choices people have been making for many years.

I aim to examine the choices made by motorhome users and it would be invaluable to hear from experienced communities. I intend to speak to manufacturers and dealers regarding sales figures, design and manufacture but the most interesting conversations come from the people that experience motorhome travel and living.

I hope that you would be willing to share your thoughts. I have had informal chats with fellow motor-homers which have been incredibly insightful but require a wider scope of information for my research.

I have attached a questionnaire (this is just a guide, i want to hear your thoughts in general) which I would appreciate if you could complete and forward to any relevant person(s). Apologies it wont allow me to upload a word document only a PDF!

My email address is benjaminpjdaughtry@googlemail.com

If you are able to send any further information such as meetings, rally agenda’s, feedback in any form I would be extremely grateful.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Daughtry

Attachments

• questions .pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 67

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Benjamin

What does
romtascism
mean please?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Ben

You might get on better asking questions on the forum rather than in a PDF format, if you are a motorhomer yourself it would certainly be worth your investment of £15 to join and then you get access to all our members views and opinions for your dissertation, as well as advice on any aspect of your own van.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:
Hi Ben, it would be a lot easier if your PDF was an editable form then members could just fill it it. I looked at it and thought too much hassle where as it I could have just filled in the answers I would have done it.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ben

You might get more responses if you save the questionnaire as a .rtf (Rich Text File) which will open in virtually anything.

For some reason I've always found .pdf files a bit of a faff to deal with, and I taught ICT for many years. I found .rtf to be trouble free when setting online tasks for others.

I'll answer it in a spare moment.

OP
OP
B

ben daughtry

Free Member
Nov 23, 2017
Funster No
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions they are very helpful!
Having problems with uploading as an RTF as well so will post questions below
also having problems with subscribing, seems to be a problem with Paypal with try again later!

How long have you been motor homing?

What inspired you to buy a motor home?

What factors were important when you made your choice? Size? Brand? Mod-cons?

Who do you go with and where?

What do you do once you reach your destination? Are there activities, seeing the local area and sites? Simply relaxing?

Do you treat going away in the motorhome as a holiday? Do you also go away without the motorhome? Has the financial element ever played a part in your decision?

If so, what are the differences between the two? Is there a preferred option?

Is there a community aspect in motorhoming which you don’t benefit from in whats now a traditional holiday?

In your own words, what are the main reasons behind you choosing to continue to use the motorhome?

There’s a feeling of romanticism with a motorhome with the ease of seeing beautiful parts of the UK and abroad, is this more of an appeal of a city break or busy hotel?

Please add any other comments:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You have probably only got to read through posts on this forum for most of your answers.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Might be worth adding,
Do manufacturers of motorhomes, meet motorhomers needs
How many motorhomes did you buy before identifying what was right for you, and why.
You would get a whole dissertation on how poor the quality control is in the motorhoming industry.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
This may not be exactly what you had in mind, but I've answered your questions below.

- 7 years

- The flexibility it offers in respect of travel and accommodation

- Size, build quality, facilities, ability to make the changes/upgrades I wanted.

- Always with wife. Sometimes with other family members too. Go to:

Music festivals (Glastonbury)
Literature/arts festivals (Hay)
UK Tourist destinations (Lake District. Peak District, Wales, Cornwall)
UK short breaks
European long and short breaks (including most countries in Western Europe so far). Visit friends and family and see local area and sites.

What do you do once you reach your destination? Are there activities, seeing the local area and sites? Simply relaxing?

Depends on location - see above

Do you treat going away in the motorhome as a holiday? Do you also go away without the motorhome? Has the financial element ever played a part in your decision?

Yes, it is a holiday. Rarely without motorhome, but sometimes to Med Islands so no motorhome. Financial? Not really in deciding between motorhome or non-motorhome trip.

Is there a community aspect in motorhoming which you don’t benefit from in whats now a traditional holiday?

Probably. There is obviously a community aspect to motorhoming. And there is obviously a community-oriented way of doing a traditional holiday. I am community-agnostic on this question: mainly do it for non-community reasons.

In your own words, what are the main reasons behind you choosing to continue to use the motorhome?

Hate flying. Like being independent.

There’s a feeling of romanticism with a motorhome with the ease of seeing beautiful parts of the UK and abroad, is this more of an appeal of a city break or busy hotel?

Not much given to romanticism generally. But city breaks with busy hotels are not really my scene.

OP
OP
B

ben daughtry

Free Member
Nov 23, 2017
Funster No
Hi Dogeared,
thats a very interesting point, in your opinion is this a relatively new issue?
are manufacturers not listening to their customers? this is something i would like to bring up with a manufacturer if i get the chance.

Paulw2 thank you very much!

i have been through the forum previously and found lots of interesting posts which contributed to wanting to write the essay in the first place, it seemed a lot of people are trying to escape something in one way or another! (this isn't a psychoanalysis! i just found it interesting) I even included some in a presentation last week!

thankyou

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
8 years

We used to be caravanners but switched to motor homes when Sue became ill with MS. It is much easier for me as carer to be able to pitch and get straight on with cooking etc.

End dinette, under 6 metres so we could park easily, swivel passenger seat and accessible wc.

Just the 2 of us, Holland, France. UK

What do you do once you reach your destination? Are there activities, seeing the local area and sites? Simply relaxing? National Trust, we read, listen to music, cook, and chill.

Do you treat going away in the motorhome as a holiday? Do you also go away without the motorhome? Has the financial element ever played a part in your decision? Our van is our only vehicle so we either walk locally, or use the van and often feel on holiday here in north Norfolk. We love our moho and dislike hotels intensely.

We have adapted our van to suit the MS with a wheel chair access to the rear lounge and wet room, 12 volt hoist to the passenger seat. Anywhere else is usually fraught with difficulty for access.

Is there a community aspect in motorhoming which you don’t benefit from in whats now a traditional holiday? We like the club sites for the welcome and friendliness from both wardens and members.

Independence, we do enjoy Holiday property bond holidays but tend to be spring and summer campers.

There’s a feeling of romtascism with a motorhome with the ease of seeing beautiful parts of the UK and abroad, is this more of an appeal of a city break or busy hotel? Definitely. This year we have been to the Netherlands, Keswick and Shetland. All lovely places.

Please add any other comments:
Enjoy your own holidays. Our van is a 2005 model with 103,000 miles on the clock. We hope to keep on going as we love the layout and spare cash.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
9½ Years.

Natrual progression from tents/trailer tents/caravans.

Had to be German built I've had too many problems with poor quality on UK caravans.

With my wife, to France/Germany/Belgium/Italy/Greece/Spain/Portugal basically anywhere that takes our fancy. Don't bother much with the UK too unfriendly towards Motorhomes.

Walking, cycling, site seeing no time for relaxing.

Yes always a holiday but keep spending down to enable more & longer trips. Have the occassional break without the Motorhome also visit our daughter who lives in Thailand.

Prefer the Motorhome more relaxing.

We get more out of Motorhoming as we get off the beaten track and aviod the tourist hot spots.

Just love the lifestyle.

Just a great experance in mainland Europe, UK is difficult can't park anywhere hard to find places to spend the night compared to mainland Europe.

OP
OP
B

ben daughtry

Free Member
Nov 23, 2017
Funster No
Thankyou Foxy1956 and Lenny HB
some very interesting and varied responses so far

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have emailed my answers to you. Perhaps at some time in the future you will be able to share your findings with us all. Good luck with the dissertation @ben daughtry .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back