Disposing of grey water (1 Viewer)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
So 10% of your sh!te gets blasted over the guy behind!! Love the idea!! Where can I get one fitted!! And can you get one that varies the percentage? ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

On the main issue, I got a supplementary side hose fitted to the grey tank so I can attach a hose to a grey water disposal point. This also means I can direct the grey water straight down into a roadside drain if I need to, but I haven't had to yet.
I adapted my motorhome to do as DOJC states as the connection for the hose was well under the side skirt and a right hassle to get to. I adapted a hose connector plate which looks like those used for EHU’s on the van so that it uses the original bayonet type connector for the 40mm pipe supplied. This works a treat having used it for whole season. I discovered that the fresh water tank has the same hose connection system underneath the skirt but as it is fresh water I just drain it when need be usually onto the front garden next to where I park.

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 58
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I adapted my motorhome to do as DOJC states as the connection for the hose was well under the side skirt and a right hassle to get to. I adapted a hose connector plate which looks like those used for EHU’s on the van so that it uses the original bayonet type connector for the 40mm pipe supplied. This works a treat having used it for whole season. I discovered that the fresh water tank has the same hose connection system underneath the skirt but as it is fresh water I just drain it when need be usually onto the front garden next to where I park.

Mine is a bit Heath Robinson. Prefer yours, but my grey tank sits too low for me to get a level run through the side skirt, so have to use a simple pipe take off with a threaded lever valve

As you can see you need to be a Yoga master to contort to reach underneath to the sodding pull lever, which is far too short. I'm looking at fitting an electric dump valve as I am too old and too fat to be rummaging around under the bus, and Mrs DDJC has a bad back and nicer clothes :smiley:
20210223_105530.jpg

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Mine is a bit Heath Robinson. Prefer yours, but my grey tank sits too low for me to get a level run through the side skirt, so have to use a simple pipe take off with a threaded lever valve

As you can see you need to be a Yoga master to contort to reach underneath to the sodding pull lever, which is far too short. I'm looking at fitting an electric dump valve as I am too old and too fat to be rummaging around under the bus, and Mrs DDJC has a bad back and nicer clothes :smiley:
View attachment 468297
That seems a good solution. If you look at my pics, the hatch door to the side is access to the between floors space on the side where there is the drain valve which leads to the pipe through the lower floor. So I open the hatch having connected the hose, open the drain valve similar to yours, only a lot larger at 40mm and voila it drains. Involves a bit of kneeling to get to the valve as it is to the side and below the pump so there are a few bits and bobs that get in the way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The owner of a (very) private, invitation only, park up site I use regularly, has no objection to visitors keeping their grey water taps open...

Some let it run into buckets and throw it into the hedges... others let it run onto the ground where it rapidly seeps away harmlessly.

Oh... and some blokes wee into the hedges too... just like folk have been doing for thousands and thousands and thousands of years.

JJ :cool:

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
The owner of a (very) private, invitation only, park up site I use regularly, has no objection to visitors keeping their grey water taps open...

Some let it run into buckets and throw it into the hedges... others let it run onto the ground where it rapidly seeps away harmlessly.

Oh... and some blokes wee into the hedges too... just like folk have been doing for thousands and thousands and thousands of years.

JJ :cool:
As most have said, fair enough if the owner allows but not on public roads and public spaces

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks, outlet looks too low for a bucket and it’s almost in the middle of the VPN’s underside. So not easy to reach.
Hose sounds good idea. Any particular suppliers and adaptor recommendations appreciated.
I have searched and searched for a bayonet style connector as on my van but have come to the conclusion that it is a manufacturers special. The outlet is 40mm with the bayonet fixing inside the 40mm pipe which then is a push and twist, just like the light bulbs, to connect securely for draining. However, I realise that most UK built outfits use smaller size, 28mm seems the norm. Try searching for 28mm pipe connectors

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well they have by suggesting that allowing it to dribble away on their journey! It takes a good few minutes through a 40mm pipe at full bore to drain so how long to drain the average tank at a dribble, hell of a lot of miles I would say.
I think you may find that those comments were made tongue firmly in cheek.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well they have by suggesting that allowing it to dribble away on their journey! It takes a good few minutes through a 40mm pipe at full bore to drain so how long to drain the average tank at a dribble, hell of a lot of miles I would say.
Who did?

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I would not be so sure. Why not end with saying tongue in cheek then we know where we are
On a forum which has people from the very much more experienced than I to the complete novice, unless it is explicitly jocular by the nature of what is said or states that it was jocular may I suggest we ensure that all understand that draining away grey water in a public space eg a road , verge, etc is just not giving us motorhomes a good image so do not do it.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
If you look at Eddie's list it is obvious that he was joking. Who believes that gassing actually happens :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Course it does.

I've woken up many times, with a huge headache to find that the thieves have gassed me out, left the door open overnight and drank several bottles of my wine. And then trashed the awning and peed in the inner tent.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Course it does.

I've woken up many times, with a huge headache to find that the thieves have gassed me out, left the door open overnight and drank several bottles of my wine. And then trashed the awning and peed in the inner tent.
You forgot opened the water water tap, allowing that toxic poisonous waste to dribble out!

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Doesn’t the onboard shower drain into the waste water tank? I know mine does
Yes, I'm pretty sure most showers drain into the waste water tank. I was replying to motomoros who was suggesting that rather than use the waste water tank the OP did the following "Washing up bowl into bucket, repeat as necessary, bucket to disposal point or nearest bush as appropriate." This prompted me to ask how he collected the water from his shower.
I find it hard to understand why people would not allow grey water to run into their grey waste tank. The campsite where the OP is staying may not have a drive over grill for dumping grey water, but the waste water hose should be able to cope with a lip and you just have to rinse out the hose before you return it to the locker.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have searched and searched for a bayonet style connector as on my van but have come to the conclusion that it is a manufacturers special. The outlet is 40mm with the bayonet fixing inside the 40mm pipe which then is a push and twist, just like the light bulbs, to connect securely for draining. However, I realise that most UK built outfits use smaller size, 28mm seems the norm. Try searching for 28mm pipe connectors
Most 28mm stuff is designed for push-fit like this:

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Reminds me of the time as an Operations officer in the coach company I received a phone call from a somewhat irate lady who had been following one of our coaches. Apparently one of the passengers, unknown to the driver, pulled the wrong lever when they tried to flush the loo.................................
When I worked for one of the national, fast coach companies there were regular complaints from motorists about the toilet being flushed onto the road.
It was actually the grey water, because that's the way caetano built the coaches.

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Yes, I'm pretty sure most showers drain into the waste water tank. I was replying to motomoros who was suggesting that rather than use the waste water tank the OP did the following "Washing up bowl into bucket, repeat as necessary, bucket to disposal point or nearest bush as appropriate." This prompted me to ask how he collected the water from his shower.
I find it hard to understand why people would not allow grey water to run into their grey waste tank. The campsite where the OP is staying may not have a drive over grill for dumping grey water, but the waste water hose should be able to cope with a lip and you just have to rinse out the hose before you return it to the locker.
Currently my hose is only two metres long so I have to get pretty close to the grey water drain but I could easily accommodate much longer having two floors in the van with loads of space, especially for something very light. I find that with my 150 litre waste water tank I can go up to three days before the need to empty and we the don’t to use the shower much.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If your going to use a bucket, if you drill lots of holes in it first, you can empty your grey water straight into the bucket.

Never fills up and the ‘grey water brigade‘ nod approvingly as they walk round checking
I have been told by others that the technical term used is a magic bucket. They also say not to drill too many holes because the damp patch will show (as my wife says about something else). ;) :ROFLMAO:

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I have been told by others that the technical term used is a magic bucket. They also say not to drill too many holes because the damp patch will show (as my wife says about something else). ;) :ROFLMAO:
Tongue in cheek my response is “I would not wish to follow you onto your pitch"

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Look for an area with expensive houses, wait until it rains and dump grey water there. ;)
Warsash or Hamble? Or even Locks Heath? [Worked in Bitterne & Eastleigh 1987 to 1990 and lived in Warsash] :LOL:

Steve

Reactions: 68c
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Currently my hose is only two metres long so I have to get pretty close to the grey water drain but I could easily accommodate much longer having two floors in the van with loads of space, especially for something very light. I find that with my 150 litre waste water tank I can go up to three days before the need to empty and we the don’t to use the shower much.
Wish I had a 2 Mtr hose !!

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Having spent many hours in the last week researching sh*t, wc, black tanks etc. I found a site on youtube testing various methods of flushing black tanks.

Sadly I found it very interesting 😱

Broken Link Removed is the website.

Not for those with a vivid imagination! Surprising what gets left behind!

Conclusion for me was:
1. A macerator wc is a good idea rather than a simple drop device.
2. Flushing the tank using grey water is also a good option.
3. An option to flush through with clean water particularly at end of season or a layup period would be useful.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I don’t think you were tall enough for those posts. They went straight over your head.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back