Disposing of grey water (1 Viewer)

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
We carry a flat ‘water carrier’ with a side cap. It slides under the drain tap and at 20lts is easy to drain a tank in three or four runs. I have another for draining engine oil too, then off to the local tip to get rid of it.

terminal15

Free Member
Sep 5, 2018
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg 601K PVC
Exp
Since 2018 with over 30k miles already...!
We also follow the bucket approach but, like others have said, the drain is too low for a standard sized one. So we bought a collapsible bucket off Amazon which we don’t open fully then it slips underneath. Fairly cheap method and works for us!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Thanks, outlet looks too low for a bucket and it’s almost in the middle of the VPN’s underside. So not easy to reach.
Hose sounds good idea. Any particular suppliers and adaptor recommendations appreciated.

go to a plumbers merchant tell what you've got, ours is 40mm so i got a hose 10 mtrs in length, works well

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Ah, Google, fount of all knowledge. ::bigsmile:
Are you aware of an Aire between March and Dunkirk close enough to Calais for the ferry on a road near the Grand Fort Phillipe(?) There is a nature park across the road which has a well marked walk through it quite long much of it on boards and the rest on sandy soil. Part is marked for buses but never seen any the times we have been to it.

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
I've got various lengths of 32mm push fit waste pipe and some grey flexi pipe which fits perfectly into push fit connectors.

I connected a short length of the waste pipe to the moho drain and I can easily connect either the rigid or flexi to it.
Having different lengths allows me to McGuyver the most appropriate length to reach wherever it needs to be.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I cut one of these down to size and placed under the Motorhome, amazing product as after a week i hardly have any Grey waste to empty, just some bits that i dispose of in the food waste bin.
1594314257836.png

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Depends what sort of site you are on. We are fulltimers and have been on a small CS site for nearly 15 weeks!

Hedges by the side of our pitch get our grey water. Some site owners would be upset by this, others encourage it.

Paul

Yes, been on a few where they ask you to water their plants with the grey water.

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
My van uses 40mm internal bore waste emptying pipework so it is a speedy operation. I remember the days in a caravan having the waste water going down the sink while you made a cup of tea waiting for it to go! Very small pipework and it appears that most these days are not much better.

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I cut one of these down to size and placed under the Motorhome, amazing product as after a week i hardly have any Grey waste to empty, just some bits that i dispose of in the food waste bin.View attachment 405634
Have you thought of the smell and waste residue for the next person on that pitch in high summer! Yuk.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Have you thought of the smell and waste residue for the next person on that pitch in high summer! Yuk.

I often hear this argument, having been in a caravan or motorhome on grass pitches in Southern France for weeks on end and letting the grey waste directly out, I can confirm there wasn’t a smell or any visible waste.

In fact, the only time it stank, was when I used a waste master and let it sit for a couple of days. That did start to smell!

I don’t do it on most sites purely because I know others don't like it. Obviously not on a hard standing or down a drain.

I did once follow someone down the Motorway in a new Elddis, deliberate or not, who knows, but they dumped the whole waste tank going along at 70. It made a right greasy mess of my shiny car. :-(

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Had a "helpful" coach passenger once who decided to pull the toilet drain handle in the loo whilst we were doing 100kph down a motorway, emptying an almost full tank..........................:oops2::oops2:

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
A MUCH cheaper solution that does exactly the same job.... look on eBay for an extending hose for a Henry hoover. About £11 for a 1.5m that extends to 11m and just so happens to fit the waste water outlet on many vans. Easy to store in the garage or under the van in a length of plastic downpipe. held up with some matching clips
What a cracking little tip. Plenty on eBay. Couldn't find an 11m one but plenty of 6m variants which will do me fine

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Our pull dump lever thing is very far underneath the bus. Requires rummaging round underneath. No room for our waste hog to slide underneath, either. We got a secondary tap run off pipe fitted to the grey tank so we can fit a hose. We use sites rather than aires (we tow a small trailer and aires don't like towing) and where there is a pitch with a drain, we will get it. For a few euros more, it is worth it.

Three years ago we were on a site near Jesolo, near Venice. There was no drain, so we largely used site facilities. There was no service point to dump out and a week later we set off for Austria and noticed a really (and I mean really) bad smell. Couldn't find the source. On the edge of the Alps, we pulled into a stop and tried to find it. It was the grey water tank and it was rank. The meter showed empty which meant it was less than a third full. I can only assume washing up water.

We parked away from everyone, over a drain and I pulled the lever. Anyone who has ever used the lorry parks in Europe will know that they are often pretty repulsive places, with truck drivers often not bothering to walk the thirty yards to the khazi. It was raining a bit, but we certainly contributed to the bad smells of the lorry park. Lesson learned. Even if you think your tank has nothing in it, dump out.

Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1998
Having been a camper for over 60 yrs and an ex Scout Leader. The saying was "Buckit and Chuckit". Using common sense of course.
In France a site owner begged us to stop wasting water down the drains and put on pitch edges. He was paying for what we wasted.

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Hi, we’ve booked a campsite in a couple of weeks but learnt they don’t have a drive over drain to dispose of grey water.
Just the usual disposal stations that we used to use when we caravanned.
Any suggestions on the best solution. Didn’t want to have to carry a wastemaster.
In this situation we use a bucket, but do it daily then its not such a PIA :)

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
I started this post back in July, so now use the colapz hose to a black waste tank if needed. But what also handy is the ability to run the hose into nearby bushes if there are any.
Though if you’re only on a site for 3-4 days there’s enough capacity to empty on departure using site facilities.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We were on a site in Craven Arms a few years ago and ask about grey the water drain. The site owner said" Chuck it the hedge bottom". He reckoned it helped keep the weeds at bay.
I woudnt do this unless told to. It dosnt look good on a posh site.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As do we😁😁 the other bucket is our washing machine, clearly labelled😉
Now I have a new to me A class with +300kg spare payload maybe I could treat Mrs Westy to a twin tub🤔😁😁
Does that mean you're in the market for another bucket?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Somewhere in the back of my shed is a device several of us built to process grey water on green field sites. A hose from the outlet on the van feeds a 60cm long length of 110mm waste pipe with a screw on cap each end. This chamber was stuffed with grass to absorb fat a food debris. Dirty water enters one end and discharges to another flexible pipe the other end which can be run to the border of the pitch.

Although not drinkable, the discharge water is clean enough not to stain the pitch. Change the grass filter after 7 to 10 days or when moving on

Deleted User
With my previous van, I could not get a Wastemaster underneath the outlet (damn silly design and a major bugbear). I just used to empty into a medium sized washing up bowl and then carry this to the nearest service point. It was not ideal but it was the best option I could come up with and I always tried to get fairly close to a service point.

PS I could not get a bucket under the outlet either - but yes, a bucket is a better idea than the washing up bowl.
Washing up bowl into bucket, repeat as necessary, bucket to disposal point or nearest bush as appropriate :Smile:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've been asked on a full blown C&CC site to put the grey waste in the nearest bush. Saves emptying the septic tank. I would only do it on a campsite if asked by owner. In my experience, over half of them want exactly that (probably depends if they're on mains drainage or not!)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We stopped on a small campsite in Portugal and were told to throw grey water into the ditch running alongside. A day later we had to move the van because of all the flies! (Everybody was dumping their grey, not just us :roflmto:)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
20190818_165310.jpg
My experience has been dont rely on one method for anything, for waste disposal i have 2 folding buckets available and with the toad carry a waste master type box on wheels, the colapse pipe is a rediculous price , i have flat lay pipe ( not always successful) and waste pipes from 40, 32, 28 with various fittings that live in a box (square drain pipe) above the towbar.
20200331_122935.jpg

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
just thought this was the tap I always left open...................

ready for incoming

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Empty your grey waste into a bucket walk to the disposal stations and empty bucket, and repeat until your grey waste tank is empty.
Just a thought, as I'm a total newb, but couldn't the wheeled WC cassette be laid flat under the grey outlet and be filled ?
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back