LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Due to reasons I won't go into I ended up on a local campsite for 3 1/2 weeks this summer. This place is attached to an SSI protected area. Absolutely no waste or tap water onto the ground due to risk of nitrates leeching into the local eco system. The same big stick that councils are now hitting pop up sites and rally fields trying to register for next year

If they get their way, the environmental lobby will be putting big changes to the way we rally and ALL waste water disposal. Sites without facility for collecting grey waste may need to install it to continue. An SSI trumps exemption certificates for rallies and planning permission for existing sites. Watch for price increases for camping from next year on

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We also always wash up in the motorhome. But before we do that we scrape and wipe all of the food remnants and grease into the waste bin. That minimises the smells that build up in the grey waste tank, which are caused by the food remnants rotting down.
I have dogs ... plates are all cleaned long before they go in the sink

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I have dogs ... plates are all cleaned long before they go in the sink
I'm guessing you get the dog to pee in a bucket too ... :whistle: Cant have that nasty dirty water on the ground can we.
I've asked Barney (our Border Collie) to use the bucket but he refuses!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Hi, we’ve booked a campsite in a couple of weeks but learnt they don’t have a drive over drain to dispose of grey water.
Just the usual disposal stations that we used to use when we caravanned.
Any suggestions on the best solution. Didn’t want to have to carry a wastemaster.
Use your common sense. Ive never used a drive over or needed a wastemaster.

Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Hi, we’ve booked a campsite in a couple of weeks but learnt they don’t have a drive over drain to dispose of grey water.
Just the usual disposal stations that we used to use when we caravanned.
Any suggestions on the best solution. Didn’t want to have to carry a wastemaster.
We use a bucket and tip it in the sink.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
A MUCH cheaper solution that does exactly the same job.... look on eBay for an extending hose for a Henry hoover. About £11 for a 1.5m that extends to 11m and just so happens to fit the waste water outlet on many vans. Easy to store in the garage or under the van in a length of plastic downpipe. held up with some matching clips
I like this idea, I have a very unruly bunch of pipes in my locker, who spread out getting in the way and aren’t usually needed but when I leave them at home they are needed.
So after getting bored reading to page 8 of this thread I decided to do some experiments.
My pipes are 28.5mm wide and 5.5m long in total cut into two different lengths with a joining piece.
I had a 40mm wide piece of left over drain pipe. To my surprise the 28.5 was a very snug fit in the drainpipe.
So I then tried to find some expandable 28.5mm pipe, but eBay seems to have vacuum cleaner expandable pipe to fit 32mm. I can’t see that fitting into the drainpipe especially as it will need to squash up when pushed in.
So does anyone else have expanding 28.5mm pipe (other than the Collapse stuff at £35) or if using the vacuum pipe stuff what size of drainpipe are you using to store it squashed up?

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
We carry a flat ‘water carrier’ with a side cap. It slides under the drain tap and at 20lts is easy to drain a tank in three or four runs. I have another for draining engine oil too, then off to the local tip to get rid of it.
Can you tell us the name of the product please and if possible a photo.

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Are you aware of an Aire between March and Dunkirk close enough to Calais for the ferry on a road near the Grand Fort Phillipe(?) There is a nature park across the road which has a well marked walk through it quite long much of it on boards and the rest on sandy soil. Part is marked for buses but never seen any the times we have been to it.
What’s this got to do with waste water emptying!

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
I have searched and searched for a bayonet style connector as on my van but have come to the conclusion that it is a manufacturers special. The outlet is 40mm with the bayonet fixing inside the 40mm pipe which then is a push and twist, just like the light bulbs, to connect securely for draining. However, I realise that most UK built outfits use smaller size, 28mm seems the norm. Try searching for 28mm pipe connectors
I
Yes that would be about right, but the amphibians would not thank you for it, not so good for them, it's not just the ground it's everything that lives in it as well, and you do not know where your grey water will end up, water will evaporate, but the chemicals held in suspension in the water will not.
let's say you are on a site where this occurs frequently, say 10 times a year then it would be 1000 litres, and not everyone will just have dish soap in their grey water, some people will use bleach and the like.
Would you like to have a pitch where the previous occupant had dumped their grey water, to fester underfoot?
Would you tip a full bottle of fairy into a ditch?, maybe not but that is what happens when enough grey water is dumped in roughly the same place.
Do as you will but i certainly won't, dump it in the proper place, if the site doesn't have that facility, then road drains would be much better than hedgerows,ditches and such.
Correct me if I am wrong, road side drains go to a soak away and not to a treatment works.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Can you tell us the name of the product please and if possible a photo.
Sorry. We bought them years ago and so I have no idea of the name - this is the ‘oil drainer‘ one and the waste water is the same…..but cleaner.
image.jpg

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We carry a flat ‘water carrier’ with a side cap. It slides under the drain tap and at 20lts is easy to drain a tank in three or four runs. I have another for draining engine oil too, then off to the local tip to get rid of it.
We bought a container marketed specifically for draining engine oil into, from Parkers, motor parts. It was smaller & lighter than a wastemaster, so took up less room. We can attach a pipe to it for when we can pipe grey water into hedges (we cant reach our waste to attach pipe directly) Cant get a bucket out if we push it under. Container is working quite well.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
RidersofRohan is this what your after? Convoluted inside 32mm waste, inside 40mm waste, all inside square drainpipe. On top is a corner used as an end cap.

View attachment 547073
View attachment 547159
Now that is clever and if the 3 pipes are roughly 2m would extend to about 6m. A real Fireman Sam type arrangement. I had already realised the square drainpipe was going to accommodate the 40mm pipe and that I think I could attach it to the box/ cycle rack I have at the back, rather than as suggested underneath the van.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Now that is clever and if the 3 pipes are roughly 2m would extend to about 6m. A real Fireman Sam type arrangement. I had already realised the square drainpipe was going to accommodate the 40mm pipe and that I think I could attach it to the box/ cycle rack I have at the back, rather than as suggested underneath the van.
On the other hand it would go between the two floors on mine. I had some 38mm pipe left over at home which goes into the 40mm corrugated type pipe used for drainage as per Euramobil. A German on the pitch behind me at Hemsbach was using the same setup into the drain between the two of us.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I have a 3/4 inch hose for grey water, a 40l waste hog and of course a grey water tank on the bus, with pull-rod dump and piped take-off. I use whichever is the best option for the site I am on. The hose is a faff and unwieldy. I'm not sure I will be carrying it much more.

When a tugger, I tried rigid pipes. Problem for me was that, you end up pitching your van according to the drain location, not the view, sun or aspect!!

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
The Colapz grey waste pipe is a great solution, may be a little pricey especially when compared to the bucket solution but well worth it if like me you like the convenience and ease (y)

Flexi waste pipe kit

View attachment 403305
Yep.. this is an excellent kit. They also do a flexi hose for filling an aqua-roll from the stand pipe.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’ve got a roll of flexible hose, but I’ve never used it as it takes 2-3 days to fill the waste tank, and as it’s a motorhome, I don’t stay anywhere that long.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I can see no environmental objection to emptying grey waste into a roadside drain: the contents from washing up and showers are no more harmful than the run-off from roads of diesel drips, oil, carbon deposits from exhausts, and rubber residue etc. In fact some of MH waste might break-up some of the petro-chemicals.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back