Dish washing fluid (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Today I actually looked at the manufactures intruction manual for my Dethleff MH. They say that to clean the van I should use dishwashing fluid! Sounds a lot cheaper than all the cleaning fluids that fill my garage. Are they correct?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
strange advice.. I'd want to know what they mean exactly before using Fairy or such like .. perhaps it got lost in the translation ?

dishwashing liquid contains bleach and ammonia which will remove any polish and or wax .. this may leave the paintwork dull ..

I only use proprietary car shampoo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
being curious I checked the Hymer manual.. and it says much the same . which is a bit strange

11.1.3 Washing the Motorhome

n Wash the motorhome only on a washing site intended for this purpose. Avoid full sunshine. Ob- serve environmental measures!

n Only clean external applications and synthetic parts with plenty of warm water, dish washing liq- uid and soft cloth.

n Wash down motorhome with plenty of water, clean sponge or soft brush. In the case of stubborn dirt add dish washing liquid to the water.

n Parts made of glass-fibre reinforced plastic (GRP) require a regular follow-up treatment with pol- isher BF 150 from the firm BÜFA (Büsing und Fasch GmbH, Rastede). This way these parts will not turn yellow and the sealing of the surface remains intact.

n Treat rubber seals of doors and storage flaps with talc.
n Treat locking cylinder of doors and storage flaps with graphite dust.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You should never use washing up liquid (if that is what they are referring to) for washing any vehicle, it makes all the bodywork dull and a terrible finish.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
From that quote they say treat. Rubber seals with talc.
You should never do that, talc contains perfumes which can rot rubber seals. Baby powder is fine but not talc.

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
I don't doubt the bit about talc being bad, but the perfume? Surely the smell isn't the active ingredient.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't doubt the bit about talc being bad, but the perfume? Surely the smell isn't the active ingredient.
Having seen cuffs and necks in dry suits rotted due to talc being used on them, where as baby powder is talc without any perfumes and doesn't give any problems.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
From that quote they say treat. Rubber seals with talc.
You should never do that, talc contains perfumes which can rot rubber seals. Baby powder is fine but not talc.
I have unperfumed talc, baby powder smell from miles off. Had a real problem with bird poo on the roof, solution, Daz doesn't look any different now.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
They're saying use dish washing liquid to clear stubborn dirt but then telling you to polish it afterwards. Don't see any real problem in that, but I can't see many folk actually following those instructions to the letter........!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
They're saying use dish washing liquid to clear stubborn dirt but then telling you to polish it afterwards. Don't see any real problem in that, but I can't see many folk actually following those instructions to the letter........!

Its still crap advice if they are, washing up liquid has no place near any vehicle bodywork. Why not just say use a proper vehicle wash or name something specific.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Post Office, use traffic film remover, a STRONGISH mix, just look at their newish vehicle and they are a softish pink colour after the TFR and sunlight have had their way with the paintwork

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I did never use a detergent. All vehicles have water run offs, rain tracks and hidden areas that channel water away. Using a detergent will see the waxes and protective polishes washed away over time.

While you can apply polish and wax to the areas exposed, you'll never replace the bits you can't reach.

A good autowax/shampoo will clean it all and the residue will run down all these channels, waxing as it goes:)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I wonder if it’s a case of lost in translation. They probably mean washing up liquid, not dishwashing water. Dishwashing liquid is for dishwashers and would contain abrasives and other in-vehicle friendly additives.

Here’s what’s in Fairy washing up liquid

Aqua
• Sodium laureth sulphate
• Alcohol denat
• Lauramine oxide
• C9-11 pareth-8
• Sodium chloride
• 1,3-Cyclohexanedimethanamine
• PPG (polypropylene glycols)
• Dimethyl aminoethyl methecrylate/hydroxyproply acrylate copolymer cirate
• Parfum
• Geraniol
• Limonene
• Colourant

It doesn’t look too bad from what I can see.

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Today I actually looked at the manufactures intruction manual for my Dethleff MH. They say that to clean the van I should use dishwashing fluid! Sounds a lot cheaper than all the cleaning fluids that fill my garage. Are they correct?

Fairy, a small amount every time, no need for a foot of bubbles

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
I wonder if it’s a case of lost in translation. They probably mean washing up liquid, not dishwashing water. Dishwashing liquid is for dishwashers and would contain abrasives and other in-vehicle friendly additives.

Aqua
• Sodium laureth sulphate
• Alcohol denat
• Lauramine oxide
• C9-11 pareth-8
• Sodium chloride
• 1,3-Cyclohexanedimethanamine
• PPG (polypropylene glycols)
• Dimethyl aminoethyl methecrylate/hydroxyproply acrylate copolymer cirate
• Parfum
• Geraniol
• Limonene
• Colourant

Which is the harmful chemical that doesn't harm hands, no matter how soft yet damages vehicle finishes? Baby shampoo is better though. Then Auto-Glym polish twice a year sometimes

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Which is the harmful chemical that doesn't harm hands, no matter how soft yet damages vehicle finishes?

Don't know, that's why I posted the list of chemicals in washing up liquid. I can't see anything that would harm a vehicle.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I thought you weren’t meant to use polish ( containing silicone) on GRP,and that wax should be used . I’m sure Ive read this on here somewhere,probably in the Detailing threads.
Anyway,I wouldn’t use washing up liquid and I wouldn’t use polish on GRP

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I always understood that dishwashing detergents contained loads of salt. Not good for vehicle bodywork I would think.
I'll stick to Autoglym I think.

Richard.

That was my understanding also, have avoided it like the plague for 35 years now:confused:

Ady

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Try Best Universal Grit Grime and Effluent Remover.
If Omo won’t brighten it,
And Daz won’t whiten it,
Then Bugger it
(courtesy of Fred Wedlock)

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Don't know, that's why I posted the list of chemicals in washing up liquid. I can't see anything that would harm a vehicle.

Nor me but Baby shampoo is softer so use that more.

I thought you weren’t meant to use polish ( containing silicone) on GRP,and that wax should be used . I’m sure Ive read this on here somewhere,probably in the Detailing threads.
Anyway,I wouldn’t use washing up liquid and I wouldn’t use polish on GRP

Always used Auto-glym on our yacht beginning and end of season, looked good for 10 years until sold

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Aqua

• Sodium chloride

Sodium chloride is salt. They only put it in washing up liquid to increase the viscosity.

You wouldn't deliberately wash your MH in sea water.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

what about the sodium chloride and the Sodium laureth sulphate.. ?

salt is bad for cars .. causes rust..

SLS is used in engine degreasing products, so removes wax and polish.

other than that.. probably ok if you want a rusty dull finish

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Salt is also used in car shampoos....

3. Sodium Chloride – It is common knowledge that road salt is responsible for the onset of rust in cars, which is why professional detailers emphasize the need for regular car washing during winter. However, salt is used in small quantities when manufacturing car shampoo due to its cleansing properties.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Salt is also used in car shampoos....

3. Sodium Chloride – It is common knowledge that road salt is responsible for the onset of rust in cars, which is why professional detailers emphasize the need for regular car washing during winter. However, salt is used in small quantities when manufacturing car shampoo due to its cleansing properties.

What do you use to wash the Concorde with?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
After cleaning the roof (another thread) I've just washed down the rest with a wash & wax ready for a coat of polish. Just found an Autoglym Christmas Box with a bottle of resin cleaner/polish so when the sun has gone off it will give it a try. I used Mer on the roof but then had a problem buffing it up because the sun dried it out too quickly (yeh stupid!). That's sorted now, but I'll try the Autoglym on the bodywork.

Further to my earlier post there's no way I'd use washing up liquid of any sort to wash any of my vehicles. No matter what's in them, or not in them, they're basically degreasants and will take the polish off. End-of!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What do you use to wash the Concorde with?

We have a guy who comes to do it. I don't know what he uses. I do know that to get any black marks off he uses a product specifically for that but otherwise just a general shampoo I expect.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
FWIW I trashed the paintwork on a Mercedes car after years of washing with Fairy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back