RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
I have a Avtex STH3000 Portable aerial which is ok if there is good coverage in the area where you are parked.
We have been away this xmas and struggled a bit to be honest,so we are thinking of going down the satellite route.
So not sure which route to go dish or dome ??
Can't be doing with the fuss of a portable dish so it will have to be fixed and pref auto tuning.
Look forward to your comments phill

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
@NickNic we have a Sky box at home with the full Sky package, and I've often thought about putting the box in the van when we go off, but never done it. Any issues/problems with the Sky service from your experience? Gary

Nope. Buy second hand box off FleaBay and then just move card when you go away, saves all of the phafffff. To ensure you get all of your channels, just visit the Sky website and pair the card, seconds work. Upon return, just pair the card back to your house box. Excellent.

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Never ceases to amuse me when I watch these nice posh vans with domes or dishes mounted on the roofs juggling back and forth trying to get a decent satelite signal. Happened again over Christmas when my mate moved his van four times so that SHMBO could catch up on one of the soaps.

Don't understand that. Park van with a clear view SE ishhhhh, press button, dish locks on, watch tv. Why do they need to jiggle ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have a Dome, works well except on heavy snow, in VERY heavy rain the picture pixelates a bit for a short time until the water clears off!
We also have a small aerial for spots where the Dome can't get a signal.
We have said tho that we aren't sure whether we would have a dome again, would probably just use an aerial.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Nope. Buy second hand box off FleaBay and then just move card when you go away, saves all of the phafffff. To ensure you get all of your channels, just visit the Sky website and pair the card, seconds work. Upon return, just pair the card back to your house box. Excellent.

At one time you had to call Sky to pair a card and too often may have raised suspicions so we always take our box from home. Is there a facility to pair on the website now?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Be like me, keep it simple!! Works fine in UK and a good part of Northern Europe.

Been there, cut my satellite teeth with manual dishes..

Started out with a cheapo camping dish from Maplin.. but it was no use in Spain.. so bought a 85cm domestic dish in a Spanish supermarket.. and lashed to the RV rear ladder or onto any available fence post.

Got fed up with that, no use when just parked up for one night .. too much hassle.. particularly when it's wet .. so bought a Maxview crank up .. worked ok provided it was calm, any wind and it was knocked out of alignment.. wouldn't buy another.. piece of expensive crap.

I used to watch others with auto dishes and thought.. yes.. one day I will get one.. and so it came to pass..
I bought and fitted the Alden AS4..

Granted , it is not as much 'fun' just pressing a button and viewing... .. but still enjoy watching others aligning manual dishes.. or chasing the dish and tripod as it flies up the site.. a bit like tugger watching.. :LOL:

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I bought a Sky+ box from cash converters, phoned Sky organised an additional viewing card and I to all intents and purpose have "multi room"

The only difference is that Sky think that I have multi room in our dining room instead of the motorhome lol

This works well for me, as we tend to series link etc to the motorhome rather than the house as we are more likely to watch a couple of episodes of something good on TV when we are in the motorhome than at home.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had an 85cm Oyster on the last van, forever taking it down in anything above a force 5 or 6 wind and in gale force wind even when down you could hear it banging about would never have a large dish again.
Fitted a cheap Snipe to current van, yet to come across a wind strong enough to affect performance & it performs across Europe almost as well as the big Oyster for a fraction of the price, gets Astra 2 UK channels as far south as northern Provence.

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
At one time you had to call Sky to pair a card and too often may have raised suspicions so we always take our box from home. Is there a facility to pair on the website now?

Yeppp, here. www.sky.com/quickfix

You will need a Sky ID. You can make one on the log in page, just like this forum.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@NickNic we have a Sky box at home with the full Sky package, and I've often thought about putting the box in the van when we go off, but never done it. Any issues/problems with the Sky service from your experience? Gary

None whatsoever (y)

The dish has a twin LNB so if I connect both cables the record facility works.

Obviously you won't get interactive or on demand services unless you can find a good internet service to connect it to but that's no big deal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
Well after a lot of thinking i decided to go for a 40cm Dome.
But after making a couple of phone calls to two different suppliers,i might change my mind.
One told me i would pick UK Tv up mid way down France,the other said i would not receive anything in France because the foot print had changed with the sats.
Can anyone confirm this please as i'm totally confused now :(

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have a maxview dome and got BBC down as far as Bordeaux last year, not sure what size our is, but would guess the dome is about 500mm so the same as you I would reckon

the only time ours is an issue is with trees close by, but that must apply to both (y), sometimes we are near trees and I presume it wont work and it does

used in Durness (top north west Scotland) last January in serious gales 60 / 70mph + gusts, picture excellent 99% of time, occasional pixilation

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
With most equipment if you draw a line in an arc to take in Bordeaux and Lyon you will start to loose all the BBC's ITV's Channel4 and Channel5 and all of the derivatives past that line, and definitely if you slide the line down to the Alps and the Pyrenees

Some report better performance but it will vary with time of day and atmospheric conditions, so we alway underplay the performance rather than over egg it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
With most equipment if you draw a line in an arc to take in Bordeaux and Lyon you will start to loose all the BBC's ITV's Channel4 and Channel5 and all of the derivatives past that line, and definitely if you slide the line down to the Alps and the Pyrenees

Some report better performance but it will vary with time of day and atmospheric conditions, so we alway underplay the performance rather than over egg it

I can live with that,just don't want to spend £1500 and can't get any TV !!!

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It is well documented and tested (lol shall I call you RS or Mr Spike;))

I lost all my BBCs etc about 100k south of Bordeaux back in August but sat happily watching Sky sports and Sky Movies at Las Dunas in the Costa Brava

Using a Free To Air box (FTA) you would need to switch to English speaking stuff on Astra1 at Las Dunas

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Roadpro dome works well wind /rain does not affect it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
Roadpro dome works well wind /rain does not affect it.
That's the one I looked at,but I was put off today when I was told it won't work ANYWHERE in France???
Just need someone to confirm they work (or a dish) at the minute, before I commit to buy !!!

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That's the one I looked at,but I was put off today when I was told it won't work ANYWHERE in France???
Just need someone to confirm they work (or a dish) at the minute, before I commit to buy !!!
That is complete rubbish I'm afraid. I have the previous Camos 40 (supplied by Roadpro via Dave Newell). The current Roadpro branded version is the later and, I believe, slightly improved version. It will definitely pick up UK free-to-air channels well into France. Eddie Vanbitz has given a fair assessment above: if you draw an arc round from Bordeaux to Lyons that will give a good idea of where UK channels will be available for most satellite systems.
As you move toward the East, the southerly boundary reduces and once you get into Germany, the dome will struggle beyond the Western edges of the country. Atmospheric conditions have a noticeable impact on reception once you reach the fringes of the dish's/dome's range so it is not possible to define a firm reception boundary.

Andy, who owns Roadpro, has spent a lot of time travelling in Europe testing the systems he sells. I urge you to look at the customer reviews tab on the Roadpro 40 Dome website page and in particular the one at the top which is dated 2015: Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I had a Neta dome on the RV , faultless.
I now have a dish on the Hymer works well but nervous in high winds, always holds signal but how strong are the roof fixings, could leave a hole or two if blown off :Eeek:

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2015
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt,
Exp
September 2015
Have been following this with some interest as we have the same dilemma, dish or dome. Pretty sure we are going to go the dome route, has anyone any experience of the latest SatFi RV dome as we can't decide between this and the RoadPro.
Thanks

Upvote 0

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
The more of these threads I read the more confused I am on which system to buy!

The Oyster Cytrax seems to be getting good write ups but it's quite expensive...anyone shopped about for the cheapest UK price recently?

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Unless you were discussing the SatFi UK dome designed for the UKmmarket, primarily for smaller vans and caravans, the person you spoke to was talking rubbish

I had a Neta dome on the RV , faultless.
I now have a dish on the Hymer works well but nervous in high winds, always holds signal but how strong are the roof fixings, could leave a hole or two if blown off :Eeek:
dishes will always be susceptible to wind and lightening. Ask yourself how often do you say, the weather is great, really sunny, let's go inside the van? No? Your right, it's blowing a gale and you sit in the van and can't put the dish up for fear of damage lol

Have been following this with some interest as we have the same dilemma, dish or dome. Pretty sure we are going to go the dome route, has anyone any experience of the latest SatFi RV dome as we can't decide between this and the RoadPro.
Thanks
the Sat FI RV has a larger reflecter internally and is a newer design. Both good though

The more of these threads I read the more confused I am on which system to buy!

The Oyster Cytrax seems to be getting good write ups but it's quite expensive...anyone shopped about for the cheapest UK price recently?
Cytrax is excellent, over comes the wind issue with Oyster dishes, but will only marginally out perform a dome that will come in at circa £1299 less 10% (with Van Bitz and Funsters discount For example) so at lot more expensive. If a big dish won't fit or your worried about wind, and a dome won't fit the Caro or the Cytrac are a solution albeit at a price

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I have a book or two, they too are a pain in the wind and rain as the pages get soggy or continuously blow about, it's great for getting away from the TV though and works all the way through Spain, Portugal and Morocco.(y)

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
No not officially, it may do on a good day, the same as in a boat along Poole to Weymouth you often receive "Welcome to France" messages

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I would prefer a great big dish but mounted on a flimsy mhome roof always the risk of wind damage, unlike being fitted with rawlbolts to a brick wall.
A dome and a big portable dish in the garage is favourite for me.

Upvote 0

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
The Cytrac performed very well in the high winds since it was fitted in November. Never felt the need to lower the dish except when we went to bed. Though with the road pro dome fitted to the tin tent I never gave it a second thought in gale force winds as it was fit and forget.

Upvote 0

Shiney

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E562
Exp
We have a Satmark 40cm dome with AutoSkew and Dual LNB. We get UK free channels down to Bordeaux and Sky HD all over France and Spain. Not been all the way to south Spain yet but certainly mid Spain and the Pyrenees are no problem. The SKY subscription is on a much wider footprint that the Uk free to air channels. Nor problem for me as I only want the Sky channels!!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back