Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Chard
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily
Exp
Since 2010
Hi I've just bought a tv with built in satellite reciver can someone tell the best dish to use in Portugal and any advice on picking up British TV in Portugal as I spent the winter down there and any advice would be greatfull plus where to buy the extras I need. Thanks kjack

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
I am sorry, but having read a few posts about this before, the experts are going to tell you to get a f*****g big one.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yep you will need a massive dish. You might be better to try sourcing a good data package and watching tv on TVcatchup.com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
It does need to be big,best way now is apps, for tv

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
But be prepared for dire warnings from some member(s) of excommunication and confiscation of all your worldly goods if you make use of SatBack signals from Intelsat 907

Malcolm

OP
OP
Kjack

Kjack

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Chard
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily
Exp
Since 2010
When I was there last year I met several people who were watching British TV there dishes were not that big. There was a guy there said he would set the whole system up and running for me at the cost of 300 euro. That seems a lot when my TV has sat built in especially for 3 mths. I think there must be away a bit cheaper?

Deleted User
When I was there last year I met several people who were watching British TV there dishes were not that big. There was a guy there said he would set the whole system up and running for me at the cost of 300 euro. That seems a lot when my TV has sat built in especially for 3 mths. I think there must be away a bit cheaper?

Those that are getting mainstream UK TV in Portugal are using a cracked decoder box to get a signal from the Intelsat 907 satellite, the legality of this is not for me to comment on.

For all practical purposes it is impossible to access UK TV on a reasonable sized dish from the normal satellite.

For the last two winters we have used unlimited data sims from NOS, €15 for 15 days renewable online, in a mifi and used Pure VPN to access BBC iplayer etc on the laptop though it is possible to use a TV via HDMI cable but I have never managed to do this.

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990

Not when your tv with the built in satellite receiver will not tune into Intelsat 907.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Not when your tv with the built in satellite receiver will not tune into Intelsat 907.
It's not just a question of tuning in to Intelsat 907, which your sat dish must be able to do. The Satback UK signals are encoded, and it would require a sat receiver which allows you to enter the decode sequence to receive them. The link I included above suggests that this would be possible for slightly over £100, which I would have thought is a reasonable one off payment if TV in southern Europe is important to you.

Malcolm

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have always got our TV using a sky box and an Oyster 85 cm dish with Autoskew you may not get BBC or ITV but most of the other channels(y)(y)(y)

Deleted User
We have always got our TV using a sky box and an Oyster 85 cm dish with Autoskew you may not get BBC or ITV but most of the other channels(y)(y)(y)

Other channels?.......not got BBC.....not got UK TV:)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Other channels?.......not got BBC.....not got UK TV:)
Yes we do get BBC ITV but not always as may not bein the footprint for those channels.
With a sky box most are UK channels

Last edited:

Deleted User
Yes we do get BBC ITV but not always as may not bein the footprint for those channels.
With a sky box most are UK channels

As far as I am concerned BBC is UK TV, not interested in whats on SKY, occasionally something decent on ITV or Channel 4, no interest whatsoever in films etc

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As far as I am concerned BBC is UK TV, not interested in whats on SKY, occasionally something decent on ITV or Channel 4, no interest whatsoever in films etc
The question by the OP was what dish I couldn’t care less what you want to watch(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back