Disgusting habits of some motorhomers - I sometimes despair!! (1 Viewer)

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
Why not do the same as in France? Set up a free parking space and then prohibit Moho parking elsewhere, The fee parking area should have a dump station for grey and black waste and a supply of water. Not only would that solve the problem but it would encourage tourism and it’s ensuing income.

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Go around the NC500 in Scotland there is umpteen places where coaches and cars ect full of tourists where there is little or no facilities!
Folk have been caught short and while is it easy for men to relieve themselves it’s not so easy for the ladies.
If you have to go then you must whether it’s behind a bush or a wall you go.
Council and business’s are happy with the trade but are not willing too provide any services! and locals are fed up with disruption to dail life.
with idiots parking in and across access to their homes, parking in passing places too, the list goes on.

All the rage at Festivals now: https://tinyurl.com/nuxo7mv At last the women get to stand alongside the men

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Couldn' t they put an emptying point in and then charge for parking.
But you will still get the small minority who are not willing to pay for ANYTHING.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Motorhome toilet 'emptied on Morfa Bychan beach'

From the BBC News website

_101988074_morfabychangeograph.jpg
Image copyrightSTEVE POVEY/GEOGRAPH
Image captionMorfa Bychan beach is popular with tourists
Motorhomes could be banned from parking on a beach overnight amid a claim a toilet was emptied on to the sand.

Gwynedd council is also considering increased beach access charges at Morfa Bychan, known locally as Black Rock Sands, in Porthmadog.

Councillor Selwyn Griffiths claimed campers staying overnight had left a "disgusting" mess.

The council confirmed it is planning to bring in "additional measures".

Emma Walters, a warden at the Black Rock Sands Touring and Camping Park, claimed she had caught a camper emptying a toilet at the weekend.

'Clogged up'
She said: "When I told him it was disgusting, he said 'tough'. You have to be careful.

"People are very annoyed. It's not only a tourist area, it's a nature area."

The council said its beach staff "actively advise" vehicles they should not park overnight but owners of motorhomes and campervans were "failing to comply with the requirements".

A spokesman added: "The council will be taking action... additional measures being considered include significantly increasing beach access charges for motorhomes and campervans and amending the beach by-laws to include the prohibition of remaining on the beach in a motor vehicle overnight."

Mr Griffiths said up to 70 vehicles have been staying at the site overnight, leaving residents "very upset".

"People walk along the sand dunes and are disgusted by what they see there," he added.

Public toilets at the beach have also been used to empty toilet contents, according to Mr Griffiths - leaving them "clogged up... disgusting, overflowing."
Motorhome toilet 'emptied on Morfa Bychan beach' I reckon that this is absolute bull s####, strange that a campsite owner should be the only one to have seen this, even I as a motohomer would have taken his reg. number blocked him in and phoned the police,probably even rubbed his face in it, but I don't think any genuine motorhomer would do this, bearing in mind the irish travelling community are also using motorhomes these days so how do you distinguish who's who, frankly I think she telling porkies, or rather she's a barefaced liar like so many others who claimed to have seen it but never ever took a reg. number or used the camera on their mobile to record the misdemeanour which they seem to have to hand for every other trivial incident these days.

From the BBC News website

_101988074_morfabychangeograph.jpg
Image copyrightSTEVE POVEY/GEOGRAPH
Image captionMorfa Bychan beach is popular with tourists
Motorhomes could be banned from parking on a beach overnight amid a claim a toilet was emptied on to the sand.

Gwynedd council is also considering increased beach access charges at Morfa Bychan, known locally as Black Rock Sands, in Porthmadog.

Councillor Selwyn Griffiths claimed campers staying overnight had left a "disgusting" mess.

The council confirmed it is planning to bring in "additional measures".

Emma Walters, a warden at the Black Rock Sands Touring and Camping Park, claimed she had caught a camper emptying a toilet at the weekend.

'Clogged up'
She said: "When I told him it was disgusting, he said 'tough'. You have to be careful.

"People are very annoyed. It's not only a tourist area, it's a nature area."

The council said its beach staff "actively advise" vehicles they should not park overnight but owners of motorhomes and campervans were "failing to comply with the requirements".

A spokesman added: "The council will be taking action... additional measures being considered include significantly increasing beach access charges for motorhomes and campervans and amending the beach by-laws to include the prohibition of remaining on the beach in a motor vehicle overnight."

Mr Griffiths said up to 70 vehicles have been staying at the site overnight, leaving residents "very upset".

"People walk along the sand dunes and are disgusted by what they see there," he added.

Public toilets at the beach have also been used to empty toilet contents, according to Mr Griffiths - leaving them "clogged up... disgusting, overflowing."

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
This figure could easily be reached, time you buy the land connect up to sewers lighting water electric, dig out level and create surface. Fencing barriers lighting cameras staff local business rates etc.50k seems like a conservative estimate to me. This is without aftercare and maintenance.
£50,000 rubbish, the car park is already there, so overnight parking in ANY and EVERY car park shouldn't be too much of a problem it could be used from 6pm till 8am, after all that's all we're asking for, overnight parking when no-one else or virtually no-one is using it cos they've all gone home from the beaches city centre car parks by then, so a nominal charge of around £5 a night would be additional welcome income surely, plus the fact that most car parks already have a toilet block so you don't need to be a genius to work out that it could be easily adapted and incorporated into future car parks that one end cubicle could be accessible from outside the main block for chemical disposal also as there is also a water tap (washbasins) there It would be easy enough to incorporate an outside tap even if metered. None of this is rocket science, nor would it cost a fortune, they just don't want to do it mainly for politically corrupt reasons.

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Similar scenario @ Dornoch sands last year.
I am of the opinion that caravanning/motorhoming/ camping is going through it's biggest change for many many years.

Young Caravanners need to sit an extended driving test if they passed their driving test after Jan 1997. ( to pull a van more than 750kg i think) This takes in people nearing 40 years of age.
So instead of buying a Caravan they buy a motorhome that their licence covers.
This gives us more motorhomes on the road ( which are more convenient)
There are also more people having staycations due to terrorism.
More access to hire fleets, internet site seekers and social media make motorhoming/campervanning a very attractive holiday.

In turn campsite owners that have invested a lot of money in fancy sites with all the luxury pitches and shower blocks are no longer needed as everything a motorhomer needs he has in his van.
Why would i want to pay £28 for an overnight stop ( i have done but only once) in at 5.30 pm out before 10am and never used any facilities.

These sites need to reassess what the camper wants and needs.

The big boys have cottoned on and offer very deals out of season.

We as motorhome owners must stick together and also police ourselves and point out any bad behaviour to others that way these site owners will have nothing to complain about.

Agree, especially about spending money on lousy unsuitable sites. As for spending money locally, years of lousy food, bad service, dirty premises, grubby staff and bellowing customers in establishments ranging from hamburger vans through fish & chip shops to 4-star hotels we gave in and decided never again. We cook everything ourselves. We do spend money in Supermarkets and share a single portion of Caesar Salad or prawns Pasta etc with half a home-made bread roll which are good. Most meals are cooked aboard after the supply of home-cooked bulk frozen meals have been eaten, usually 6/7 days after departing home. Junk food such as cheese-hamburgers or KFC & c are once a fortnight guilty gap-fillers.

These places we all stay in suddenly become precious to locals who have been dumping, their rubbish in their own environment and neglecting it for years. I'm sorry but it's our environment too and we want to use it for our pleasure.
Locals or not now have a target, something new arriving in their towns and villages. We all must have seen the suspicious looks from concerned citizens who, eager for gossip, indignation and something to complain about. Leaving the side door open while you make a cup of tea or sandwich causes curious and suspicious behaviour in them.

Parking in legal parking places offends these CCs because we're bigger than they are and I'm sure many are envious if not jealous of the bigger M/Hs and vent their spleen by complaining and persuading councillors to stop us parking, have us herded to makeshift camps with zero facilities and feel smug about not having to look at us.

Society evolves constantly, LAs & businesses must provide for that. I'll use Cornwall as an example at times. I'm on a roll-ish so words may flow .... :)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
£50,000 rubbish, the car park is already there, so overnight parking in ANY and EVERY car park shouldn't be too much of a problem it could be used from 6pm till 8am, after all that's all we're asking for, overnight parking when no-one else or virtually no-one is using it cos they've all gone home from the beaches city centre car parks by then, so a nominal charge of around £5 a night would be additional welcome income surely, plus the fact that most car parks already have a toilet block so you don't need to be a genius to work out that it could be easily adapted and incorporated into future car parks that one end cubicle could be accessible from outside the main block for chemical disposal also as there is also a water tap (washbasins) there It would be easy enough to incorporate an outside tap even if metered. None of this is rocket science, nor would it cost a fortune, they just don't want to do it mainly for politically corrupt reasons.

Then the gypos move in and trash it :rolleyes:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Agree, especially about spending money on lousy unsuitable sites. As for spending money locally, years of lousy food, bad service, dirty premises, grubby staff and bellowing customers in establishments ranging from hamburger vans through fish & chip shops to 4-star hotels we gave in and decided never again. We cook everything ourselves. We do spend money in Supermarkets and share a single portion of Caesar Salad or prawns Pasta etc with half a home-made bread roll which are good. Most meals are cooked aboard after the supply of home-cooked bulk frozen meals have been eaten, usually 6/7 days after departing home. Junk food such as cheese-hamburgers or KFC & c are once a fortnight guilty gap-fillers.

These places we all stay in suddenly become precious to locals who have been dumping, their rubbish in their own environment and neglecting it for years. I'm sorry but it's our environment too and we want to use it for our pleasure.
Locals or not now have a target, something new arriving in their towns and villages. We all must have seen the suspicious looks from concerned citizens who, eager for gossip, indignation and something to complain about. Leaving the side door open while you make a cup of tea or sandwich causes curious and suspicious behaviour in them.

Parking in legal parking places offends these CCs because we're bigger than they are and I'm sure many are envious if not jealous of the bigger M/Hs and vent their spleen by complaining and persuading councillors to stop us parking, have us herded to makeshift camps with zero facilities and feel smug about not having to look at us.

Society evolves constantly, LAs & businesses must provide for that. I'll use Cornwall as an example at times. I'm on a roll-ish so words may flow .... :)
LOL, you are exactly the type of person local councils don't want. Maybe you should add a bowl of gruel to your meal as a treat :)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Very simple.......my moho cost a fortune, I am not parking it in some shitty back road in Wales for kids to bounce balls off and myopic drivers to dent, I would have to use the sites.
I and I'm sure most other Welsh folk resent your description of a sh***y backroad in Wales. Your insulting description of our country backroads is totally unwarranted.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I and I'm sure most other Welsh folk resent your description of a sh***y backroad in Wales. Your insulting description of our country backroads is totally unwarranted.
I am truly sorry, if I have offended any Welsh person or person of Welsh descent, I am sure all Welsh back roads are paved with beautiful leeks and Welsh dressers. Like this one -gurnos-housing-estate-merthyr-tydfil-south-wales-

gurnos-housing-estate-merthyr-tydfil-south-wales-uk-empty-house-with-AC96A6.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think @GJH has done to death the reasons why it isn't at all easy or cheap to do?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I am camped up in a little town called Ardmore in southern Ireland tonight.....there are no motorhome parking signs thoughout the town along with no motorhome overnight parking signs and a height barrier on the main car park. I am told there were at least 60 mohos in the local field I am in tonight at the weekend, there are 14 tonight. It's pretty obvious to me that previous to the ban the small town car park and parking spaces were rammed up with mohos for the weekend. It's just not sustainable for towns like this any more, there are too many people with too many vehicles looking for a freebe :(

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
LOL, you are exactly the type of person local councils don't want. Maybe you should add a bowl of gruel to your meal as a treat :)

Whether they want us or not, like the surfers in Newquay, we're all coming so prepare for and provide for us. Nobody wants their lives disturbed but it's not their patch exclusively, it's ours and we want to use it unless you're for fencing in and stopping free movement within the UK?

Gruel, I cook what this man cooks https://tinyurl.com/ycfh7y5q and this team: https://tinyurl.com/oz5gvgb cooks.
I also did 3 years in Catering College and 15 years as Chef in hotels & restaurants, some with big brigades so feel able to cook such simple foods with skill. However, I enjoy the pre-prepared salads from supermarkets where hygiene is under constant supervision and quality very good with fresh ingredients.

I would also add that unless you use your local butcher, baker and candlestick-maker, you're the type of person your town doesn't want there, on the basis of your limited opinion. IMHO :D

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003

I went to a very small village this w/e that has done exactly that. Council car park is big and empty at night £5 overnight, toilets are open and well maintained. They even had two showers there. There were two newish large M/Hs using the nearby road instead to avoid £10 for the w/e inc facilities mentioned.

You've made simple excellent points.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I think @GJH has done to death the reasons why it isn't at all easy or cheap to do?
Thank you. It really is a case of each case on its merits.
For instance, the only car parks I can think of in the larger towns on Teesside (Middlesbrough, Stockton, Redcar) that have a toilet block are multi-storey ones. None of the surface car parks have one. One doesn't have to be a genius, therefore, to work out that such provision would probably entail significant works.
The coach park at Guisborough has one, and it was able to be used when an "aire" was trialed there - and not used.

EDIT. Just remembered there is a toilet block near the small, free, car park at The Stray, Redcar. Camping has been banned in that car park because of the nuisance motorhomers caused.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
I live near here and there are 3 camping sites within 100 yds of the beach. Toilets with all the plumbing needed for an aire are at the beach entrance. FYI the beach is level sand that you can drive on, interestingly enough, at very high tides the sea comes right up to the dunes, any camper parked up would have nowhere to go. It’s easy to see why MoHo owners would want to stay though, when the weather is good, this beach is amazing.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
I went to a very small village this w/e that has done exactly that. Council car park is big and empty at night £5 overnight, toilets are open and well maintained. They even had two showers there. There were two newish large M/Hs using the nearby road instead to avoid £10 for the w/e inc facilities mentioned.
Hi there Ducto,
Typical isn't it, you have people on here campaigning for and complaining about the lack of aires, motorhome parking places and then you find two motorhomers the type it seems who fit the description FLT's, a title I don't like, but seems very apt here, who are too mean/tight to pay £5 for an official overnight parking, SHOWER INCLUDED, it beggars belief, BUT, I wouldn't mind betting they were quite happy to use the showers the following morning and fill their water tanks, and maybe empty their cassettes? scumbags, where is this little gem by the way, I would be quite happy to pay a £5 to use it, if the council don't see any fivers coming in from the likes of these few they will assume it's obviously not required and withdraw it's use.

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003

I'll take photos next time I see this deplorable behaviour as I think that really is dreadful behaviour

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back