Disgusting habits of some motorhomers - I sometimes despair!! (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Motorhome toilet 'emptied on Morfa Bychan beach'

From the BBC News website

_101988074_morfabychangeograph.jpg
Image copyrightSTEVE POVEY/GEOGRAPH
Image captionMorfa Bychan beach is popular with tourists
Motorhomes could be banned from parking on a beach overnight amid a claim a toilet was emptied on to the sand.

Gwynedd council is also considering increased beach access charges at Morfa Bychan, known locally as Black Rock Sands, in Porthmadog.

Councillor Selwyn Griffiths claimed campers staying overnight had left a "disgusting" mess.

The council confirmed it is planning to bring in "additional measures".

Emma Walters, a warden at the Black Rock Sands Touring and Camping Park, claimed she had caught a camper emptying a toilet at the weekend.

'Clogged up'
She said: "When I told him it was disgusting, he said 'tough'. You have to be careful.

"People are very annoyed. It's not only a tourist area, it's a nature area."

The council said its beach staff "actively advise" vehicles they should not park overnight but owners of motorhomes and campervans were "failing to comply with the requirements".

A spokesman added: "The council will be taking action... additional measures being considered include significantly increasing beach access charges for motorhomes and campervans and amending the beach by-laws to include the prohibition of remaining on the beach in a motor vehicle overnight."

Mr Griffiths said up to 70 vehicles have been staying at the site overnight, leaving residents "very upset".

"People walk along the sand dunes and are disgusted by what they see there," he added.

Public toilets at the beach have also been used to empty toilet contents, according to Mr Griffiths - leaving them "clogged up... disgusting, overflowing."

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Unfortunately you reap what you sow.... or in this case you reap what others sow...

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
warden at the Black Rock Sands Touring and Camping Park, claimed she had caught a camper emptying a toilet at the weekend.
whilst im not condoning the alleged actions at all...i will say that this line is very familiar from local newspapers on a number of places along that coast, none of which have ever been supported by any evidence.

In one place further down the coast it was actually proved by a local resident that it was the warden/owner of a local campsite who was creating the problem as they were actually loosing business:mad:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
whilst im not condoning the alleged actions at all...i will say that this line is very familiar from local newspapers on a number of places along that coast, none of which have ever been supported by any evidence.

In one place further down the coast it was actually proved by a local resident that it was the warden/owner of a local campsite who was creating the problem as they were actually loosing business:mad:
I expect the amount of dog shit on that beach from the locals animals far outweighs any contents of the cassettes.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I expect the amount of dog shit on that beach from the locals animals far outweighs any contents of the cassettes.
Two wrongs don't make a right though, or so I was always told.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Two wrongs don't make a right though, or so I was always told.

Martin
5 Minutes research and I am well following the money on this council.....

Councillor Gruffydd Williams in item 5.12 on the agenda (planning application number C17/1175/42/LL), as his father owned a Caravan Park located less than six miles from the site of this application.

Councillor Owain Williams in item 5.12 on the agenda, (planning application number C17/1175/42/LL), as he was the owner of a Caravan Park located less than six miles from the site of this application.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
As the problem of MH parking is only going to get worse perhaps the Council should consider an Aire with a maximum stay of 48 hours and restrict the number of available parking bays. That way everyone gets a chance. One Council had worked out that each bay of an Aire would cost £50,000 so decided not to bother. How can providing a few basic facilities cost so much. Biggest problem is that the Councils would rather spend THEIR money on themselves. Far cheaper to put up a sign and let the Police sort it out or put up a height barrier. France had a similar problem with MH’s so the Local Councils responded with Aires. Hundreds of them all over the place. They realised that MH’s don’t do Camp Sites all the time and the only way to deal with the problem is Free / Chargeable overnight parking. Now most of the MH’s park in designated areas with facilities or risk being asked politely to move on.

It’s about time the Local Councils helped Local Businesses instead of putting up barriers.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
5 Minutes research and I am well following the money on this council.....

Councillor Gruffydd Williams in item 5.12 on the agenda (planning application number C17/1175/42/LL), as his father owned a Caravan Park located less than six miles from the site of this application.

Councillor Owain Williams in item 5.12 on the agenda, (planning application number C17/1175/42/LL), as he was the owner of a Caravan Park located less than six miles from the site of this application.
But’ there are about four or five other campsites within a mile of that beach.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Strange it was a warden from the campsite who reported it no vested interest there then

Possibly has a vested interest as she was on a FB motorhome group last evening and she says she is a motorhomer who's a tad upset with what she saw....

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Motorhome toilet 'emptied on Morfa Bychan beach'

From the BBC News website

_101988074_morfabychangeograph.jpg
Image copyrightSTEVE POVEY/GEOGRAPH
Image captionMorfa Bychan beach is popular with tourists
Motorhomes could be banned from parking on a beach overnight amid a claim a toilet was emptied on to the sand.

Gwynedd council is also considering increased beach access charges at Morfa Bychan, known locally as Black Rock Sands, in Porthmadog.

Councillor Selwyn Griffiths claimed campers staying overnight had left a "disgusting" mess.

The council confirmed it is planning to bring in "additional measures".

Emma Walters, a warden at the Black Rock Sands Touring and Camping Park, claimed she had caught a camper emptying a toilet at the weekend.

'Clogged up'
She said: "When I told him it was disgusting, he said 'tough'. You have to be careful.

"People are very annoyed. It's not only a tourist area, it's a nature area."

The council said its beach staff "actively advise" vehicles they should not park overnight but owners of motorhomes and campervans were "failing to comply with the requirements".

A spokesman added: "The council will be taking action... additional measures being considered include significantly increasing beach access charges for motorhomes and campervans and amending the beach by-laws to include the prohibition of remaining on the beach in a motor vehicle overnight."

Mr Griffiths said up to 70 vehicles have been staying at the site overnight, leaving residents "very upset".

"People walk along the sand dunes and are disgusted by what they see there," he added.

Public toilets at the beach have also been used to empty toilet contents, according to Mr Griffiths - leaving them "clogged up... disgusting, overflowing."
I wonder why Emma Walters did not take down the registration number of the offending vehicle and report it to the police

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Each bay would cost ÂŁ50,000 :Eeek: someone somewhere is taking the pee! (or a bit in the pocket, surely not!)
This figure could easily be reached, time you buy the land connect up to sewers lighting water electric, dig out level and create surface. Fencing barriers lighting cameras staff local business rates etc.50k seems like a conservative estimate to me. This is without aftercare and maintenance.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This figure could easily be reached, time you buy the land connect up to sewers water electric, dig out level and create surface. Fencing barriers lighting cameras staff etc.50k seems like a conservative estimate to me. This is without aftercare and maintenance.

I'm so behind with the times, obviously :(.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This figure could easily be reached, time you buy the land connect up to sewers water electric, dig out level and create surface. Fencing barriers lighting cameras staff etc.50k seems like a conservative estimate to me. This is without aftercare and maintenance.
But for each bay?

I think that's where councils go wrong they seem to find the companies that charge them a fortune.

It's like when a paintshop finds out it's an insurance job the price more than doubles often writing off the car

When a contractor knows it's the council they just hike up the price knowing most of the councillors are thick as mince

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
But for each bay?

I think that's where councils go wrong they seem to find the companies that charge them a fortune.

It's like when a paintshop finds out it's an insurance job the price more than doubles often writing off the car

When a contractor knows it's the council they just hike up the price knowing most of the councillors are thick as mince
In a remote area finding and connecting up to a power and water supply could cost a fortune not cheap running in new services.....:eek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As posted on the other thread:
Leaving aside whether or not toilet cassettes were emptied, the sheer fact that so many people are knowingly ignoring the no overnighting rule is plenty in itself to give the council the wrong impression - that too many motorhomers are FLTs who are too tight to use caravan sites when they are available
I'll bet not one of the motorhomers concerned has even bothered approaching the council to discuss provision of an aire type facility as an alternative.
It is no wonder that councils get the wrong impression - and no amount of excuses will change that.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
But’ there are about four or five other campsites within a mile of that beach.
You do realise all those campsite owners will be talking to each other and the councillors named will be representing their specific interests. Very much like almost every farmer in the UK belongs to a local group which forms a huge national interest lobby.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As posted on the other thread:
Leaving aside whether or not toilet cassettes were emptied, the sheer fact that so many people are knowingly ignoring the no overnighting rule is plenty in itself to give the council the wrong impression - that too many motorhomers are FLTs who are too tight to use caravan sites when they are available
I'll bet not one of the motorhomers concerned has even bothered approaching the council to discuss provision of an aire type facility as an alternative.
It is no wonder that councils get the wrong impression - and no amount of excuses will change that.
Personally the fact that the motorhomes choose not to use the campsites should give enough indication to the council that motorhomes do not need campsites.

I'm not believing for one second that no one who works in council planning parking departments have motorhomes.

It's only by breaking and bending laws that they get changed as far as I can see

I don't excuse the dumping ( if it happened which again is never proved and is always a councillor, a campsite employee or bed and breakfast owner that witnesses but never provides evidence of it ) but parking a motorhome in a parking space I won't object to.

They don't kick up a fuss about cars or ordinary vans being parked there only motorhomes.

All it does is push me more and more towards a stealth type camper van it seems to be the future

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Beats me why they can't dig a hole at the back of the toilets, with a pipe for emptying cassettes for about ÂŁ100 then chargeing a tenner a night, to stay, they would have their money back in a week, it's a no brainer, but instead they would rather spend money on signs and wardens and hope to get money out of fines.(n)(n):(

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Personally the fact that the motorhomes choose not to use the campsites should give enough indication to the council that motorhomes do not need campsites.

I'm not believing for one second that no one who works in council planning parking departments have motorhomes.

It's only by breaking and bending laws that they get changed as far as I can see

I don't excuse the dumping ( if it happened which again is never proved and is always a councillor, a campsite employee or bed and breakfast owner that witnesses but never provides evidence of it ) but parking a motorhome in a parking space I won't object to.

They don't kick up a fuss about cars or ordinary vans being parked there only motorhomes.

All it does is push me more and more towards a stealth type camper van it seems to be the future

They have thought of that by making it illegal to sleep in a vehicle overnight on the beach

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

The fuss is not about cars (or any vehicles) parking it is about motorhomes being used for camping. It is high time people (including those trying to excuse there own behaviour) understood that in the UK there is a difference. It doesn't matter what is the case in other countries but UK law which applies.

The fact that some choose to camp illegally rather than open constructive dialogue about providing an alternative is easily sufficient to give councils the wrong impression. Motorhomes may not need caravan sites but the message being broadcast is not that but simply that their owners want something for nothing.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Errr?. Axe to grind? conflict of interest? EVIDENCE?. But still, NEVER let the truth get in way of a good story.
Yes that's my feeling and it's always the same story ....it was the same at la azohia and at dornoch in Scotland where the local b&b owner claimed to see waste dumping etc.

Why anyone would empty a cassette toilet on a beach they are camping on is beyond me

Even the stupidest dirtiest scumbags out there is be surprised at emptying a loo on the sand , and not in front of an audience either.
I know for sure if I saw it is have taken the person's photo and one of their van and number plate and posted it all over Facebook

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
but instead they would rather spend money on signs and wardens and hope to get money out of fines.

The last few words are the reason. Fines are easy to collect. involve no collection of "evidence", have many "Arse covering" get out clauses. In fact it`s the way to go for MOST Bureaucracies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back