pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have been looking for a site to go away a few days next week and came across this at --Yeatheridge Farm Caravan & Camping Park, East Worlington, Devon. "We do not accept commercial vehicles or any type of converted transport vehicle; and we may refuse entry to particularly large caravans or continental vans (i.e. LMC, Tabbert, Hobby) we deem to be unsuitable." never seen anything like that befor on any site.
Pam with a 26' Hobby wont be going there then.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Curious to know why? Many drives won't accommodate a MH and ours copes with a mh up to 6m but any more and I'll be either overhang onto the pavement or be taking bits of MH out of our cornflakes packet in the morning.

Hi
I at one time asked the local Council about erecting a garage in our back garden with access from the side (we live on a corner) the answer was yes but at least 6 Mtrs back from the pavement, must be some planning rule, I didn't do the garage which was for the MH has 6 plus 8 for the MH would have taken up most of the back garden. Pete

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
i now have no lawn at the front of my house. so I can park my 6mtr van on my drive. anything bigger and I would have to eat my cornflakes, in the m/home. but I can get both our cars on the drive as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I dont think we would have bought our MH if we couldn't keep it on the drive. I didn't want the trouble of storage.

We are however lucky - our 6.5m MH fits on the drive in front of half the double garage and we can still get 4 cars on too. Only have 2 cars but these go on without having to move the other to get out.

Who said new houses have no room?

Jen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am so lucky we only have an Ex council bungalow but we have our motorhome my sisters motorhome and 3 cars with loads of room spare 2 gates thats just on the drive i still have 3 lawns one at the front of the house one at the side and one at the back. any way back to what i started with i will be going to the campsite tomorrow feeling quite positive all will be ok, but if its not cover your ears

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@pamie I hope you have a most wonderful time at Yeatheridge, I haven't read anything but good reviews about it so go in with a smile and feel it getting bigger day by day :D

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have just marshalled for the first time. Whilst setting people up I was told to put the doors on one side but not why. I was always curious about this so once things had quietened down and and all the other marshals were outside chatting. I walked over and asked a few of them about this rule and why. I got various reasons.

1. If all doors are on the same side you don't come out of your van onto someone elses awning area. A lot of people complain about kids/dogs bounding out of vans straight onto their pitch. Having the doors on the same side eases that.

2. Fire safety. With awnings face to face there is an increased risk of fire jumping vans even with a safe distance.

3. Fire safety. When firemen turn up they will not know which side doors are on and if they are all the same way round then they can get to you quicker if door is obscured by smoke or fire.

There were other minor reasons but these three seemed to me to be the most valid of the reasons I was given.
What about left hand drive vans?

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What about left hand drive vans?
I don't understand which bit you are referring to sorry. I was told to set all vans with the habitation door on the same side. This meant vans facing in different directions. Some of them facing the wrong direction were left hand but by no means all of them.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Curious to know why? Many drives won't accommodate a MH and ours copes with a mh up to 6m but any more and I'll be either overhang onto the pavement or be taking bits of MH out of our cornflakes packet in the morning.
Tried everything, but I cant get our Hymer backed into the drive. It leads to the police station, and they keep asking to get past, especially at night when the take away opens. :(

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have just marshalled for the first time. Whilst setting people up I was told to put the doors on one side but not why. I was always curious about this so once things had quietened down and and all the other marshals were outside chatting. I walked over and asked a few of them about this rule and why. I got various reasons.

1. If all doors are on the same side you don't come out of your van onto someone elses awning area. A lot of people complain about kids/dogs bounding out of vans straight onto their pitch. Having the doors on the same side eases that.

2. Fire safety. With awnings face to face there is an increased risk of fire jumping vans even with a safe distance.

3. Fire safety. When firemen turn up they will not know which side doors are on and if they are all the same way round then they can get to you quicker if door is obscured by smoke or fire.

There were other minor reasons but these three seemed to me to be the most valid of the reasons I was given.

This reads like an extract from the CC Wardens training manual..:rolleyes:

I'm all for rules and proper spacing .. but being told which way to face the hab. door at a meet is ridiculous..
Last meet I was at there was no such instruction.

The Fun Rally Marshals Handbook says this.. "Ideally" .. not Must ..

Ideally all doors should face the same way, but this is
not as important as maintaining the 6m gap between
motorhomes.
Some ralliers will want to park up
awning to awning, however their must be 3m between
awnings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don't understand which bit you are referring to sorry. I was told to set all vans with the habitation door on the same side. This meant vans facing in different directions. Some of them facing the wrong direction were left hand but by no means all of them.
Duh, my mistake, I "thought" that you had meant that everyone had to park facing the same way lol

My mistake

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Tried everything, but I cant get our Hymer backed into the drive. It leads to the police station, and they keep asking to get past, especially at night when the take away opens. :(
Business opportunity there for you Toots.
Set up a home delivery service for them.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back