Discount for cash!!!` (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Looking for a new van we came across this Broken Link Removed

Went to have a look, really liked it ,Good layout(i always say that :rolleyes: ), went to office to see salesman
spoke to a guy i explained was looking for a deal and i had no P/X, he said i can knock £500 off thats all for cash.

I thought it was overpriced to start with ,I was expecting a couple of grand off. Am i wrong ????

Karl

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We thought we would get a few grand off too but 1000 was the maximum so we ended up buying private. No warranty should something go wrong but we insisted on a fresh hab certificate.
We are happy with our deal.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
No but you have to be prepared to walk and if you've fallen for it that can be difficult so its your call, whats your max spend, I would say your about right 23 to 24 grand, lay the cards on the table and let us know how it goes(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The first van I "almost" bought was a second hand Eldiss Autoquest 180, priced at £26k. I had no P/X ,and I was paying cash.

The dealer did not even realise it had a solar panel till I asked about the regulator rating. He was so uninformed about the van when asked questions.
Anyhow he too offered a me just an initial £250 off the price, great I thought, less than 1% discount for cash.:doh:
After some haggling I offered £24,500 cash there and then.

He then had dropped to £25, 000, just £1000 off. He then said to me, "come on you don't want to loose this van for just £500 do you", to which I replied "and do you want to loose this cash sale for just £500", at which point I walked.

I'm glad I did because I know now that an end lounge was definitely not the right layout for us, and I chuckled when 2 months later I saw the van, still on his forecourt listed at under £24k.........

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Went to have a look, really liked it ,Good layout(i always say that :rolleyes: ), went to office to see salesman
spoke to a guy i explained was looking for a deal and i had no P/X, he said i can knock £500 off thats all for cash.

I thought it was overpriced to start with ,I was expecting a couple of grand off. Am i wrong ????

Karl

It seems to have plenty of extras - Satellite TV, reverse camera, alarm - make sure they all work - and a warranty

If it is exactly what you want then go back and just get the best deal you can and buy it.

It is more important that you find the van for you.(y)

You might spend hundreds looking and come up with something not as good.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I don't think it's too high a price in the first place considering it's based on the Merc.24/24.5 k would be a better price (y) Go back and sharpen your negotiating skills;)They have already offered a measly 500 off -push harder -you should get it down to 25 at least :)try to grab a different salesman he may offer more off -you are already armed with some suggestions from above :) good luck -remember they want to sell it as much as you want to buy it :D
terry

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
There's a saying I was told many years ago.............

A man asked the old farmer "How much discount for cash?" The farmer replied ...........

"If I'd known you wanted discount I would have added something on in the first place!":LOL:

The van seems good value - if the van's right for you anything off is a bonus(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If he is a good salesman and can see from what you say and reading your body language then he isn't going to offer a great deal and it is very much harder to get one. Once you have gone as far as you can simply leave your number and ask him to call if he can improve the offer. That way, you have walked away (showing him you aren't desperate) but without closing the door. He has his sales targets to meet so might be able to sweeten a bit if short of target. Also, ask to talk to the manager who has the real power of decision over discounts....... Cheers and good hunting

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Karl
Don't know about the price, but they are a sound dealer

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Discounts, 100% of nothing is nothing.

It's simple, the van is worth what you are prepared to pay for it. Ask for his best offer. If it is above what you are prepared to pay, say sorry too much and walk away. If he, as a result still want's to talk, remind him you asked for his best offer. Then give him one more go. Then if it is still above what you are prepared to pay, there are plenty more out there, unless of course it was a Winnebago.:rofl:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Without being gloomy, I guess that the summer is nearly over and dealers may start offering better deals to get rid of stock. The decision to be made includes how much the van is worth to you and how long could you risk waiting for it to drop in price?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does the discount come off the salesman's commission? Not a specific question about this MH, but a general question really.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I get the impression that you can get a better discount if buying with some finance as the dealer gets a commission on that which they can then pass on if so inclined. I'm not a dealer but I believe that to be the case. Might be worth trying that route - then pay the finance off after 1 month if the sums add up!!!
That said - looks a good van at a good price to me(y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Does the discount come off the salesman's commission? Not a specific question about this MH, but a general question really.
Probably not he will go to either manager or someone above and tell them the deal to get it ok-ed - If I walk on a deal I always leave my number -surprising how many ring you within an hour ;)
terry

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Is there anything it hasn't got that you want that you could suggest be fitted rather than have cash off the price. The value to you is more and the cost to him is less. e.g bike rack, tow bar, satellite etc

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Its looks a nice clean van, reasonable miles, extra's and on a Merc, I think I heard Oaktree were a decent dealer as well, face them up with an offer near enough to make it difficult for them to turn it down

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
On the other hand in a month the market will be flooded with private sales .....if dealer selling for 26k you can bet he paid 22k max private sales are much easier to get bargains and from my experience warranties on second hand campers from dealers aren't that great they can usually get out of any claims

I know the dealer my sister bought hers from had a sold as seen policy on anything under 30k and she had quite a few problems that even trading standards couldn't sort out .....:(

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Looks like a great van Karl and Fay will be ok not falling out of bed in this one :roflmto:
If you do buy it come visit us at Malvern we're there for the duration:party3:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Keep us posted - looks a nice van and not a bad price. Make an offer and leave your number as we said.

Looking forward to Malvern.........

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi, I live quite close to Oaktree and can be found wandering most weeks as it's great to see a wide range of makes and models (not seen anything too tempting yet).

Looking forward to seeing how you get on as they always seem to be busy and have a high turnover of stock.

Fingers crossed for you(y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Don't know about the price, but they are a sound dealer
Greetings,

Same dealer, Quote,"immaculate inside and out" Rear bumper had a split in it. The drivers seat looked like it had been used by a coalman at work and the half dinette seat had the look as if a baby had puked on it.
Thats 600 miles round trip my car won't ever back.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Greetings,

Same dealer, Quote,"immaculate inside and out" Rear bumper had a split in it. The drivers seat looked like it had been used by a coalman at work and the half dinette seat had the look as if a baby had puked on it.
Thats 600 miles round trip my car won't ever back.

Yep - do agree with you there, sometimes they can be on the 'grubby' side. One of the blokes that I chat to told me that they have a quick wash and tickle inside and outside and once sold they give them the full works.

The other week they had the Autotrail A class they only did for a year or two - great layout but it was in a right state, the shower looked as though it had split and been mastiked by one of the blind mice:LOL:.

I know some other dealers do this as well, not sure if it's best idea, doesn't give the best impression. What amazes me is that folk have let their mh go to a dealer in that state in the first place:oops2:

Will be prob be calling in later as I've got to go to Ilkeston - think the car automatically turns in there by itself now::bigsmile:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We used oakTree.. Good dealership.. Not that well cleaned.. But it was the van we wanted and he accepted £1000 off for cash very easily.. We got the extended warranty too.. Not had to use it..
Seems a good dealership tho..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I get the impression that you can get a better discount if buying with some finance as the dealer gets a commission on that which they can then pass on if so inclined. I'm not a dealer but I believe that to be the case. Might be worth trying that route - then pay the finance off after 1 month if the sums add up!!!
That said - looks a good van at a good price to me(y)

Be Careful doing that, unless they have changed most HP agreements have charges for early settlement.

Ian

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
Having looked at a few models for sale of this age the price seems to be good especially as the guy is offering a 3 year warranty, its unusual to get as long a warranty as that for a vehicle of this age. If this includes the base vehicle and the habitation area then I think you have a great deal and If this is the vehicle you want go for it. There are plenty of good recommendations on this thread concerning the seller as a trader which is encouraging too.

Norman

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Try calling their bluff! Ring them up saying you are still really interested however you have found another deal at a better price.Say that you know they are a good dealer and you would rather buy from them and ask them to match the price.It worked for me!

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie

Karl

Went there last back end, no part ex tried to do a deal, fella wouldnt budge. They must be able to sell all they get without much trouble. Finished up buying elswhere. Like the farmer said the discount must have been on the price but the psychology is there to make the customer feel good.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Try calling their bluff! Ring them up saying you are still really interested however you have found another deal at a better price.Say that you know they are a good dealer and you would rather buy from them and ask them to match the price.It worked for me!

With that tactic, as a dealer I would ask for specific details as most dealers know exactly what is on the market at any one time - that is how they do their forecourt pricing, plus a bit of Glass' guide........... be prepared - it can be a risky tactic.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
if it's the van for sale in the advert, then to clarify it's RWD not FWD and a free cambelt..............hmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!
i would pay money to see them do that!!
go in and tell them not to bother with the 'cambelt' and knock it of the price of the van!
make sure the fridge works on 240v and the mirrors are ok and firmly attached. check stuffing on driving and passenger seats.
ours (962m) has done 153000K with just basic maintainance

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back