Discount expected on RRP new M/H (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Demonstrators are a whole different ball game as once the orders have closed for the year demonstrators are useless to the dealer and are just sat there costing them money so there are great deals to be done as need to get rid of them. That's what I did with ours.

Agree they CAN be....but go over vans real carefully and get the build date, easily available on COC no matter what some may say? Don't accept woolly answers.....

Be aware that displayed milege means nothing as dealers get a one off chance to zero the mileage:Eeek:

Vans can have been here over a year and easily be an old build taken from show to show even from dealer to dealer.

All this taken into account and buying with your eyes open they can still be a good deal as long as price reflects this....

Eddie

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
So is £8000 off the price of a 2013 build 2014 model that has been discontinued worth it. It will still be registered as new but the tyres will be 4 years old as will the batteries etc. the price was £59000. so what do you lot think? Or should I take that amount and look for a new hymer in Belgium or Germany.
Another thing to ask, When a dealer takes on the only demonstrator in the country for press evaluation, Do they gat a special rate from the makers to do it so that the next years models, which it is , will be sold with press road test on it.
I see one model that is just out now where the demonstrator is loaded with factory options and up for another £8000 of the same package new. It must have been cheaper for them to get as it was just for press testing with no public using it. How much would you haggle on that one at £73000 offer price with 6000 miles on it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Be aware that displayed milege means nothing as dealers get a one off chance to zero the mileage:Eeek:

Eddie
How's that work then judge regarding the mileage
I assume that as the van is for delivery next May it's a new build (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
How's that work then judge regarding the mileage
I assume that as the van is for delivery next May it's a new build (y)
If its new build factory order your fine? Talking about demo, show vans already here...it was in answer to Nik's post?

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
So is £8000 off the price of a 2013 build 2014 model that has been discontinued worth it. It will still be registered as new but the tyres will be 4 years old as will the batteries etc. the price was £59000. so what do you lot think? Or should I take that amount and look for a new hymer in Belgium or Germany.
Another thing to ask, When a dealer takes on the only demonstrator in the country for press evaluation, Do they gat a special rate from the makers to do it so that the next years models, which it is , will be sold with press road test on it.
I see one model that is just out now where the demonstrator is loaded with factory options and up for another £8000 of the same package new. It must have been cheaper for them to get as it was just for press testing with no public using it. How much would you haggle on that one at £73000 offer price with 6000 miles on it.

Think I would check prices for that vehicle
Against s /hand for the same vehicle/age

Then renegotiate including new tyres and batteries
Bearing in mind the age of the base vehicle
And not the conversion date

Seems the base vans are ordered in bulk
And stored in a field/car park till req for conversion

So your 2013 base could be 2011/12

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Think I would check prices for that vehicle
Against s /hand for the same vehicle/age

Then renegotiate including new tyres and batteries
Bearing in mind the age of the base vehicle
And not the conversion date

Seems the base vans are ordered in bulk
And stored in a field/car park till req for conversion

So your 2013 base could be 2011/12

agree with all that @tofo your on the ball!

it would be easier to make an informed opinion if we new what van it is:)

a LHD will always be fresher then right, as said they stand about longer as have far less build runs

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
In my particular case I got a discount from 3a's Carmarthen greater than that quoted by Robert Clark in the earlier thread.

Unlike yourself I was prepared to buy abroad and so I sought quotes from a number of Dealers overseas and ALL the UK Dealers - I included the one in Southern Ireland as well ( he thanked me for the inquiry but said he had enough business already) - I gave them all the same specification( my choice of extra's etc) for a Carthago 5.8XL.

There was indeed quite a variation in % discount offered, and Roberts dealer came close but not close enough.

Now in the other thread you mention - and it may or may not have been the "Carthago Stand - NEC Show - Funsters offer" I stated that I did get a quote very close to that which I would have paid doing the personal import thing. There I got severely criticised or disbelieved when I said the extra cost to me buying in the UK was about 4k.

However my invoice from 3a's dated 9th.September shows quite clearly what I am paying and PX allowed on my present MH with deposit taken which could be compared to the quotes received from overseas dealers. I too have the opportunity on my invoice to accept the trade in value offered at the time of delivery of the Carthago OR to sell it privately before hand.

In my particular case I decided to buy from the UK Dealer - however I did and would NOT wish to criticise or question the savings others claim to have made by personally importing ( who knows I might do so in the future myself? - its all personal choice and well done you for saying that's YOUR choice!
I saw a selection of Carthagos at Shepton show, must have been a couple of days after your purchase.
I thought the vans offered by 3a were the best vans at the show (by quite a margin) and at cracking prices too...
Must say I'm slightly envious :)(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Most of this thread is over my head , but does this post mean you are buying as new a two year old van?
Has this still got the vat on it , surely it's got to be two year old second hand price, because that's what it is as soon as you drive off the forecourt.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Most of this thread is over my head , but does this post mean you are buying as new a two year old van?
Has this still got the vat on it , surely it's got to be two year old second hand price, because that's what it is as soon as you drive off the forecourt.

its not registered so VAT not paid yet...:)

a few years ago people were buying a certain set of RHD Ford based vans that it turned out were over 3 years old:coffee:

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
I saw a selection of Carthagos at Shepton show, must have been a couple of days after your purchase.
I thought the vans offered by 3a were the best vans at the show (by quite a margin) and at cracking prices too...
Must say I'm slightly envious :)(y)

Yes - I was at the Funsters rally there in my Chieftain - we may have met if you were on that one too?

Broken Link Removed

This one is the one offered to funsters at £59,995 - that's £10,000 off the price right now! and a 2015 model.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oh its part of the PDI and by Fiat engineers with access..has to be before it reaches 200 or 2000? (not sure which) its to allow for shunting them around
Somewhere in the back of my brain I've got the highest mileage cut-off for resetting as 250 ... can't remember why though!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Yes - I was at the Funsters rally there in my Chieftain - we may have met if you were on that one too?
We made the decision to go at the last minute and camped with the ordinaries :LOL:
We sat in that van - can't believe it's still for sale. If you're looking to buy in the UK right now, must be one of the best out there !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We made the decision to go at the last minute and camped with the ordinaries :LOL:
We sat in that van - can't believe it's still for sale. If you're looking to buy in the UK right now, must be one of the best out there !

what van plse?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I think a key issue is the number of UK dealers for any given mark. When I was looking at Carthago, Concorde or N+B, I was able to talk to several Carthago UK dealers, so the element of competition was there and I was very much aware of it. However, the other 2 had single UK dealers and the difference was marked when talking discount. So my view would be that you have a better chance of getting a high discount if your selected brand has multi dealer representation in the UK.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Broken Link Removed

Available in Germany for approx £50,000. And tbe similar spec, less flashy but mote reliable Hymer from £42,000. People are really not that silly are they....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Broken Link Removed
Read that advert , do you know what that van has got, our2007 compass hasn't, nowt, just £53000 more money:Eeek:
Edit
Sorry just had another look ,I was lieing it's got cruise control and air con

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Thanks:) Ah I see!lol the so called laughable funsters offer. Available in Germany for approx £50,000
I fully appreciate that you can buy cheaper in Germany, we travelled to Bad Waldsee in July, Carthagos for sale on almost ever corner - literally !
You are forgetting that some folk want a uk spec, rhd van with local dealer support. £9k premium doesn't sound that unreasonable.
I also suspect than many (most?) buyers don't have the funds for an outright purchase, financing through the UK dealer is the only option...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I fully appreciate that you can buy cheaper in Germany, we travelled to Bad Waldsee in July, Carthagos for sale on almost ever corner - literally !
You are forgetting that some folk want a uk spec, rhd van with local dealer support. £9k premium doesn't sound that unreasonable.
I also suspect than many (most?) buyers don't have the funds for an outright purchase, financing through the UK dealer is the only option...

If you only want RHD don't read my posts...we were at Bad Walesse/Carthago city as well this summer:)

I don't agree with your reasoning. RHD costs less then 2k extra. All pay a delivery charge as well. Supposed to be in a competitive pan European market.

not sure what meant by UK spec apart from an oven that any dealer will fit...Nigh all German vans sold here have the habitation door on the wrong side - so not true Rhd spec...only difference the steering wheel:whistle:

Dealers here use the channel as a reason to be greedy, no justification whatsoever for this. If you put up with it it won't change....

Your money your choice

Last edited:

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Read that advert , do you know what that van has got, our2007 compass hasn't, nowt, just £53000 more money:Eeek:
Edit
Sorry just had another look ,I was lieing it's got cruise control and air con

As you seem quite interested in it this might help chaser? :)

1. Judgemental said:

You dont even quote the build date or the spec, so how do we even know if its brand new

My reply to Judgemental:

Apparently it arrived from Carthago in August this Year - 2015 Model - don't have exact build date yet.

T143 Spec as follows.

Chassis pack

Comfort Pack

Media Pack

Surcharge for media pack

150 BHP

RHD

16inch Alloys

Electric Elements 2X900 Watt

Carpets all through

Barcelona Fabric

Cosy World

Fiat LEDs in headlights £350

Freespirit1, Oct 6, 2015 Report

Judgemental likes this

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Very informative pretty much bang on, I have got a trade in but have got plenty of sites booked in for the next 3 months and can't see myself without a van for 6 months but my budget/prices quoted RRP are based on giving my van up now and waiting to May, however if I get a 15% discount then that should offset the deprecation of my van if I sell next year and keep hold of it
Thks

That's not necessarily the case - I don't have to give mine up and the PX price is fixed to take it up at the time of full settlement for the Carthago OR sell it privately at anytime - by the way that PX price is only £1500 less than I paid for it privately in May this year - its down to what a particular dealer is prepared to offer.

As you are going for a Burstner - lets hope that others on the Forum will offer advice specific to your choice - are there many Burstner Dealers in the UK? any particular ones that can be recommended in this instance?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not really interested , just putting my oar in as usual, but the packs mean nothing to me I'm afraid but in my comparison , which I admit is not like for like but we have two double beds and a full cooker as well as the other stuff, and as to carpets all through, why ever not.
Admit one other thing it's got is a garage, but it doesn't look very big, and must take away from internal storage. But we seem to have two different vans in this thread yours is 2015 whereas someone else is talking about a two year old one.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Oh its part of the PDI and by Fiat engineers with access..has to be before it reaches 200 or 2000? (not sure which) its to allow for shunting them around

Somewhere in the back of my brain I've got the highest mileage cut-off for resetting as 250 ... can't remember why though!

It's 120 miles actually, after that you can't zero it. You don't need any laptop access, you just hold in the stalk button until mileage returns to zero.

If the vehicle has not been re-set there will be an "H" in the dash display. If the vehicle has travelled more than 120 miles or has, in fact, been re-set the "H" will disappear and will no longer be displayed.

This information is in respect of Fiat, not sure about other marques.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
Some UK dealers seem to be getting their act together, and some are certainly living in the past.
Best quote from a UK Burstner dealer is £3000.00 more than best quote from Belgium/Germany dealers, using 75 pence per Euro exchange rate.
I would still have bring the vehicle from Germany, convert and register it where as the UK deal is "on the road" with road tax, gas bottle, hook up etc and anything else I can scrounge
Looks like we could be sorted for next spring when we want to order.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
its not registered so VAT not paid yet...:)

a few years ago people were buying a certain set of RHD Ford based vans that it turned out were over 3 years old:coffee:
My chausson is one like that the Transit base was the old smiley face and the previous owner got£2000 off it and it would have been 3 years old when he bought it, He thought he was getting a bargain but the Dealer must have laughed all the way to the bank.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My chausson is one like that the Transit base was the old smiley face and the previous owner got£2000 off it and it would have been 3 years old when he bought it, He thought he was getting a bargain but the Dealer must have laughed all the way to the bank.

Its easy enough to find out before buying..as usual people get carried away and live to regret it later. If I found out I had purchased a 3 year old van I would be doing a long prison sentence!:D

Incidentally the same Rhd vans were available in Germany for approx £10,000 less:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back