Discount expected on RRP new M/H (1 Viewer)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
What would fellow funsters expect in terms of discount off RRP on a new M/H (burstner) new build for delivery next may
I was thinking 10%, am I realistic or can I expect more, will be interesting to see what can be gained and from different manufactures
Before you suggest going to Germany @Judgemental am not, but any other input welcome (y)
Thks

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What would fellow funsters expect in terms of discount off RRP on a new M/H (burstner) new build for delivery next may
I was thinking 10%, am I realistic or can I expect more, will be interesting to see what can be gained and from different manufactures
Before you suggest going to Germany @Judgemental am not, but any other input welcome (y)
Thks
If you can't see yourself driving LHD its a moot point is it not. If you want to know a LHD out of interest as the difference should be less then £2k as that is how much more English dealers pay. Let me know the model...

Soooo if you want to know how much your being tucked up let me know:)

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd certainly try for 20% and use examples for vans on Mobile.de as a pricing example for the dealer to compete against
I appreciate you don't want to buy in Germany, but your dealer doesn't need to know that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I think you'll get a better discount without a trade-in, so if you've got until May, try to sell any current van privately. You could get more for it that way anyway.
Don't ignore the option to ask for free extras instead of discounts. I think a lot of Burstner goodies are offered as cost options.
You specifically say it's a Burstner, then mention different manufacturers. If you meant different dealers, then definitely play one off against another. And don't ignore the benefit of a local dealer. (Big difference buying in Germany/Belgium if you live in Cheshire/Scotland, or Sarth London like some on here. (3 hours from Belgium I'm told, I'm 6 hours from the NEC!!))
I was offered what I thought was a very good deal at the NEC, but by a dealer some 300 miles from where I live. Back home, I spoke to local dealer, they couldn't quite match but I was happy to go with them, they're 25 miles away. (Autotrail Apache 632 Eddie, if you're still interested.)
I have much less experience of this than many on here, so expect you'll get a lot more advice. Good luck and enjoy new MH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
If you can't see yourself driving LHD its a moot point is it not. If you want to know a LHD out of interest as the difference should be less then £2k as that is how much more English dealers pay. Let me know the model...

Soooo if you want to know how much for being tucked up let me know:)
To be honesty judge I did follow the recent thread on the this subject with great interest but having read all the posts pros/cons I've decided to have my pants taken down in the UK(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It depends on your negotiating power and how much the dealer wants the sale. I would think 10% is an absolute minimum just for turning up. Aim at 20 and settle for 15 if you're happy.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You don't have to take your pants down to buy a van in the uk - you just need to do your homework and play hardball

All a matter of timing.

A quote from a conversation I had in the week. No context offered or intended.

"Why should I discount something I can sell at full price?"

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I think you'll get a better discount without a trade-in, so if you've got until May, try to sell any current van privately. You could get more for it that way anyway.
Don't ignore the option to ask for free extras instead of discounts. I think a lot of Burstner goodies are offered as cost options.
You specifically say it's a Burstner, then mention different manufacturers. If you meant different dealers, then definitely play one off against another. And don't ignore the benefit of a local dealer. (Big difference buying in Germany/Belgium if you live in Cheshire/Scotland, or Sarth London like some on here.)
I was offered what I thought was a very good deal at the NEC, but by a dealer some 300 miles from where I live. Back home, I spoke to local dealer, they couldn't quite match but I was happy to go with them, they're 25 miles away. (Autotrail Apache 632 Eddie, if you're still interested.)
I have much less experience of this than many on here, so expect you'll get a lot more advice. Good luck and enjoy new MH.
Very informative pretty much bang on, I have got a trade in but have got plenty of sites booked in for the next 3 months and can't see myself without a van for 6 months but my budget/prices quoted RRP are based on giving my van up now and waiting to May, however if I get a 15% discount then that should offset the deprecation of my van if I sell next year and keep hold of it
Thks

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
All a matter of timing.

A quote from a conversation I had in the week. No context offered or intended.

Answer

Because its an extra sale and extra profit for you and potential future servicing but if you don't want to sell a new van to me
then I'll find someone else who will either in this country or abroad

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
You don't have to take your pants down to buy a van in the uk - you just need to do your homework and play hardball
I know it's possible just wanted it confirmed by people who have done it a few times, but I have to accept am probably going to pay about 5/7.5% more in the UK, personally I think it's worth it but I can see an argument against
I do intend to ring a number of dealers with my exact spec, as usual the funsters knowledge about what I can expect is useful (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

If you only had one to sell, that would be a very reasonable argument
However, dealers can order many vans, some they will make a high margin on, others they won't
It's a bit like outlet shopping centers
All the high street brands are there, selling the same stuff they sell at full price on the high street - but at half the price
Different audience - different margins
The trick being to sell as much at high margin as you can, whilst not losing any if the low margin business either

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Answer

Because its an extra sale and extra profit for you and potential future servicing but if you don't want to sell a new van to me
then I'll find someone else who will either in this country or abroad

I take your point absolutely but look at it from a selling point of view. You have two units to selling three potential customers. Two customers are happy to pay your asking price, the third one wants discount. Which two are you going to concentrate on?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I know it's possible just wanted it confirmed by people who have done it a few times, but I have to accept am probably going to pay about 5/7.5% more in the UK, personally I think it's worth it but I can see an argument against
I do intend to ring a number of dealers with my exact spec, as usual the funsters knowledge about what I can expect is useful (y)
We got 20% off our new Cathago and I'm pretty certain judgemental was offered 24% off a 2016 model too

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you only had one to sell, that would be a very reasonable argument
However, dealers can order many vans, some they will make a high margin on, others they won't
It's a bit like outlet shopping centers
All the high street brands are there, selling the same stuff they sell at full price on the high street - but at half the price
Different audience - different margins
The trick being to sell as much at high margin as you can, whilst not losing any if the low margin business either

Quite right if you are selling something with an unlimited timescale to order.

If you have a limited window to order and if you can fill your order book for that window with full price orders then the customer that is arseing you around for an extra 20 quid on windscreen wipers can bugger off and buy a Burstner. :D

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Buying at a show a few years ago we argued with dealers for the best deal re free " extras". When told" that's as far as we can go" we thanked them politely and let them see us move across to another dealers stand.

When we left that one the first dealer intercepted us and said that, on consideration they could match our request. We bought from them.

Supply v demand works both ways!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
IMV I seriously doubt you'd get 10% off! On a £40k van that's £4,000 ... with the exception of the Carthargo above, I don't think you'll stand a snowballs chance in hell! Sorry.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I take your point absolutely but look at it from a selling point of view. You have two units to selling three potential customers. Two customers are happy to pay your asking price, the third one wants discount. Which two are you going to concentrate on?

You don't have any units, you buy them to order at a price much lower than the list price. You then decide wether giving someone a decent discount at certain times so as to keep a profitable business.

If your price is much more than whats available elsewhere, you then have to give somerhing else to win that business.

Always remember there is always alternatives.....its a buyers market.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I know you are all talking new but the simple way to get loads of discount is buy one a year old, simples
Agreed - our last 2 have been 'pre-owned' - our Autocruise Accent which we got in 2012 only had around 1000 miles on as the first owner found that his Mum couldn't get on with the transverse bed so he changed it for a French bed model - it had only be slept in for 1 night and just used to tootle around on day trips until the new one arrived - it hadn't even been registered for 2 months when we got it quite a bit cheaper than buying a brand new one. Our current Globecar Familyscout L was an unregistered dealer demo and we got it for a stonking price.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It also pays to visit dealers at the end of the month as that's usually when they are more desperate to meet their selling targets!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I approached two uk dealers with a spec for a Rapido , they gave me a price and I tried to haggle it down , best price was 94k in pounds, I went to three dealers in Belgium , the Belgian dealer on the same spec 96k in euros, with the exchange rate it works out at 23 k cheaper (pounds) that's a lot of free diesel

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you can play off a couple of UK dealers you might get the price down on a new one a bit but not massively, on used/pre-owned/demonstrators etc though you can usually get a much, much better discount.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you can play off a couple of UK dealers you might get the price down on a new one a bit but not massively, on used/pre-owned/demonstrators etc though you can usually get a much, much better discount.
Not been in this area of prices so I may be way out, but isn't there vat on new and not on used, if that's right , that's 20% straight away.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You don't have any units, you buy them to order at a price much lower than the list price. You then decide wether giving someone a decent discount at certain times so as to keep a profitable business.

If your price is much more than whats available elsewhere, you then have to give somerhing else to win that business.

Always remember there is always alternatives.....its a buyers market.

You're kind of correct if we were talking about cars.

With motorhomes there is a cut off point for a particular years model after which no new orders can be taken until the next years launch. If a dealer knows he can only get 2 more build slots in this years run and he has 3 people chasing them then he doesn't need to give discounts. In that situation it's a sellers market.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Demonstrators are a whole different ball game as once the orders have closed for the year demonstrators are useless to the dealer and are just sat there costing them money so there are great deals to be done as need to get rid of them. That's what I did with ours.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Thks

In my particular case I got a discount from 3a's Carmarthen greater than that quoted by Robert Clark in the earlier thread.

Unlike yourself I was prepared to buy abroad and so I sought quotes from a number of Dealers overseas and ALL the UK Dealers - I included the one in Southern Ireland as well ( he thanked me for the inquiry but said he had enough business already) - I gave them all the same specification( my choice of extra's etc) for a Carthago 5.8XL.

There was indeed quite a variation in % discount offered, and Roberts dealer came close but not close enough.

Now in the other thread you mention - and it may or may not have been the "Carthago Stand - NEC Show - Funsters offer" I stated that I did get a quote very close to that which I would have paid doing the personal import thing. There I got severely criticised or disbelieved when I said the extra cost to me buying in the UK was about 4k.

However my invoice from 3a's dated 9th.September shows quite clearly what I am paying and PX allowed on my present MH with deposit taken which could be compared to the quotes received from overseas dealers. I too have the opportunity on my invoice to accept the trade in value offered at the time of delivery of the Carthago OR to sell it privately before hand.

In my particular case I decided to buy from the UK Dealer - however I did and would NOT wish to criticise or question the savings others claim to have made by personally importing ( who knows I might do so in the future myself? - its all personal choice and well done you for saying that's YOUR choice!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back