disconnecting leisure battery with solar panel - is it safe? (2 Viewers)

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Hi all,
first night away at Stratford on Saturday & the leisure battery was completely flat when we came back from watching 'Peter Kay' so we had to start the engine just to get a light on!!
We have a solar panel & that was working fine a few weeks ago but now I'm getting 14+ volts in the morning but down to 10v by the evening with nothing switched on (that I can find).
I want to disconnect the leisure battery and charge & test it but will the solar panel be OK or do I have to turn something off first - obviously I won't let the terminal touch anything!

cheers
Chris

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
They are both connected to the battery terminals. I was just going to disconnect the negative??
I went out just and the voltage has dropped from 13.5 30 mins ago to 10.9 now it's going dark - looks like it must be the battery :cautious:

Attachments

• battery.jpeg
    battery.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
There is obviously a split charging system as well - I'm not sure how that connects up with it all..

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry to hear of your problems but it sounds like the leisure battery is goosed. :( But checking it first as you plan is very wise!

The advice given above (which is of course right :)) might need some explanation. Many solar controllers work on both 12v and 24v systems and the controller decides which voltage is needed by being connected to the battery first. If you connect the solar first the controller doesn't know if it is expected to output 12v or 24v.

Victron controllers are the exception as they remember the voltage after the first connection but unless you know you have a Victron stick with connecting the battery first. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Disconnect the solar panel positive wire at the controller/regulator.
Then disconnect the battery.
Reconnect battery then reinstall Pos wire at the controller.
You mean this wire on the controller?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210730-202256_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210730-202256_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 592
Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It isn't only solar. It is best practice to disconnect any source of charging supply before disconnecting the battery connection to the van. Switching off the mains charger and, as stated above, disconnecting the solar panel is normally enough to achieve this.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
I've disconnected the positive feed from the solar panel and took the negative terminal off the battery and it's not looking good 8.5 volts :crying:
Now its on a charger for 30 mins or so & I'll see if the voltage drops like a brick when I take it off charge.

The question now is GEL battery or not?

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've disconnected the positive feed from the solar panel and took the negative terminal off the battery and it's not looking good 8.5 volts :crying:
Now its on a charger for 30 mins or so & I'll see if the voltage drops like a brick when I take it off charge.

The question now is GEL battery or not?
Pointless attempting too charge it. Others who have bought leisure batteries more recently may advise on type.

Upvote 0

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Get a better solar charger so you can at least see what's going in

See what's in your battery

And buy two of these

I got a discount of 5% on solar charger and battery sensor

And free vent kit for the batteries

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Should have given me a shout I was at Stratford all 7 days.
The solar regulator in your photo could be what has cooked your battery. I helped two people out at the New Forest meet both problems with that regulator. One was drawing 1 amp from the battery when there was no sun the other one was putting out a too higher voltage.
That regulator is best avoided like the plague.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Thanks everyone - great help as usual (y) :thanks3:
I'll have a shop around in the morning locally - we're off to Whitstable on Monday so could do with one for then!

cheers
Chris

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Should have given me a shout I was at Stratford all 7 days.
The solar regulator in your photo could be what has cooked your battery. I helped two people out at the New Forest meet both problems with that regulator. One was drawing 1 amp from the battery when there was no sun the other one was putting out a too higher voltage.
That regulator is best avoided like the plague.
It was our first time to a Club meet & we should have been there all week and were hoping to meet a few of you, however, my son got Covid (he's fine now thank god) and we had to isolate & so we didn't get there till Saturday and were keeping a safe distance from everyone just in case!!
I was wondering if the solar panels might have cooked the battery - with the amount of sun we had the week before!
How can I check the regulator?

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sounds to me the Battery is dead and you have been measuring the soler input to the battery ergo no sun = very low volts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
With it in circuit the input voltage from the panel should be around 17 to 22v and the output when charging should gradually rise to 14.4v and when charged drop to 13.8v.
I'll measure it tomorrow 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Sounds to me the Battery is dead and you have been measuring the soler input to the battery ergo no sun = very low volts.
That's what I'm thinking, it's just strange that last time we went away a few weeks ago it was all working fine - we watched TV & used lights etc all night for 2 days with no problem, and the weather wasn't that sunny!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
OK it's definitely had it, from charged it drops to 10v without any load - also I can hear it bubbling when it's on charge so a cell must be gone.
Any opinions on which battery is best from these two:
Yuasa L36-AGM class A 95AH Absorbent Glass Mat 'dry' battery I think at £155
or
Halfords HLB750 class B 110AH lead acid battery at £125

Apparently the Absorbent Glass Mat batteries generally last longer but are sensitive to overcharging & high voltage.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
OK it's definitely had it, from charged it drops to 10v without any load - also I can hear it bubbling when it's on charge so a cell must be gone.
Any opinions on which battery is best from these two:
Yuasa L36-AGM class A 95AH Absorbent Glass Mat 'dry' battery I think at £155
or

Apparently the Absorbent Glass Mat batteries generally last longer but are sensitive to overcharging & high voltage.

How much room do you have? If buying a lead acid, I go for 629 flooded truck batteries, preferably non maintanance free versions, so you can charge faster and replace any lost water. These are usually around the 170-180Ah mark for the same prices you're looking at and built like a brick outhouse (but are heavier and larger than your suggestions which might be an issue for you).

This sort of thing:

If you're planning to off grid a lot, start planning for lithium batteries.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
How much room do you have? If buying a lead acid, I go for 629 flooded truck batteries, preferably non maintanance free versions, so you can charge faster and replace any lost water. These are usually around the 170-180Ah mark for the same prices you're looking at and built like a brick outhouse (but are heavier and larger than your suggestions which might be an issue for you).

This sort of thing:

If you're planning to off grid a lot, start planning for lithium batteries.
No I haven't the room for a bigger battery & I don't think we'll be off grid that much, we seemed to cope with the solar panel - but haven't done much more than a couple of days off grid so far.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
No I haven't the room for a bigger battery & I don't think we'll be off grid that much, we seemed to cope with the solar panel - but haven't done much more than a couple of days off grid so far.

Even so, I'd measure the space and buy the biggest flooded non-maintenance free battery you can find. It will be cheaper and last longer. Maintenance free just means you can't maintain it, not that it doesn't need maintenance. My last 629 has now lasted 11 years. It has survived 2 motorhomes and a caravan. I've now got Lithium, so for the last two weeks it was relegated to running some massive marquee lights and leader's phone charging for a 2 week scout camp. No sign of it tiring. Yes, you need to top the water up once a year, but that's better than not being able to top the water up and chucking it after 4 years when it runs out.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

someone said on here the halford battery is a yuasa rebranded ?

Yes a rebranded yuasa but in a 100ah efb ie lead acid
Another alternative with the same dimensions and "completely maintenance free" technology, is the VARTA 90A LFD from Tayna Batteries.

I just bought 4 x for £86.08p each, including VAT and next day delivery. They came via Palletways.

Good luck TheLifeofBrian. (y)

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Get a better solar charger so you can at least see what's going in

See what's in your battery

And buy two of these

I got a discount of 5% on solar charger and battery sensor

And free vent kit for the batteries
Is the Victron a simple swap in for the old Duo controller?

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back