LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We want to download our photos we took in the States from our PC to disc, they must be able to show pictures and movie - please can you tell us if the following are the ones we want:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-DVD-RW-Pack-Spindle/dp/B0002Y31XM/ref=sr_1_15?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1297814583&sr=1-15[/ame]

Your help would be much appreciated.

We could ask our 7 year old grandson who knows more than we do, but he is in bed at this moment in time.

Nigel and Pamala

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
We want to download our photos we took in the States from our PC to disc, they must be able to show pictures and movie - please can you tell us if the following are the ones we want:

Link Removed

Your help would be much appreciated.

We could ask our 7 year old grandson who knows more than we do, but he is in bed at this moment in time.

Nigel and Pamala
They will do the job if the DVD unit in your pc is capable of recording.
A cheaper version may be obtained here ..... http://www.svp.co.uk/product.php?product=TITANIU-01005&nav=1
a third of the price. They are also 16x recording speed, whereas the ones you found are only 4x recording speed, which could very well mean they are old stock, and therefore being sold at a huge markup.

I have been getting my dvd and cd blanks from SVP for years, and have had nothing but excellent service from them, all at a good price.

I have no connection with the company other than as a satisfied customer.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Nigel

Be carefull where you store your precious photographs as CD's do not last forever and re-writable cd's may not last as long as a normal job.

Kurt Gerecke, a physicist and storage expert at IBM Deutschland GmbH, says, "Unlike pressed original CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs have a relatively short life span of between two to five years. The problem is material degradation--the dyes manufacturers use to construct the CDs break down very quickly." Gerecke is apt to note that no storage media lasts forever.

Read more: Link Removed Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As Wivvy's Dad says, SVP is a good source for reasonable prices. Bigpockets and Digitalpromo are two other similar companies. Each has special offers from time to time.

However, watch the postage if you are not buying large quantities. Your local computer shop or market stall may sell the same brands for less when that is taken into account.

We were alerted to the dye fading possibility, which Dane mentioned, a few years ago but from what I have read it is more of a theoretical than practical problem and less likely to happen with decent brands. We certainly have no qualms about guaranteeing our CD products for life against dye fading.

More important, I think, is the statement "Gerecke is apt to note that no storage media lasts forever.". In addition to copying to DVD/CD I would buy an external hard drive and copy them all onto that.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Before you buy, check the format of your DVD drive, which as mentioned earlier, must be capable of writing as well as reading. There are several DVD formats as shown in the Wikipedia link below. I'm not sure where you check on a PC as I'm a Mac user, but as an example, here is the specification from my computer hardware profile:
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

You need to have the magic word "write" somewhere in the spec.

For more info on DVD formats, have a look at this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_formats

Philip

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If storing long term, consider using a flash drive, which will store thousands of photos! Many tv's are coming with those capabilities (USB) soon/some are coming out now - but until then, plug your laptop external screen cable into the TV!

CD'S were very cheap, hence they became popular - they actually have a very short shelf life...which is why bluray (which originally lost the battle) is making a comeback, as although more expensive, has better shelf life.

Flash drive will cost around £10

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back