Disappearing Satnav disk mounts - how to glue them permanently? (1 Viewer)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
We normally have a couple of the round disks for mounting Sat Navs, Phone holders etc on the dashboard. However, they have decided to come unstuck and wander round the dash / fall on the floor etc.

I've tried thicker double sided 3M tape to see if that can cope with the patterned dash but that doesn't last long either (I do clean the dash with isopropanol before trying to stick things down).

Has anyone found a glue that does keep the disks fastened in place?

We don't want to put the Satnav on the clip board, preferring the corner of the dash as less intrusive so any "STICKY" solutions would be great. Our fall back would be to get the Garmin Universal Friction Mount mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Thank you :smiley:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have used one of these in previous vehicles and found it very effective.
It gets 4.5 out of 5 from Amazon customers. (y)

1617394595864.png

Amazon product ASIN B0792CM96L

May 18, 2014
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation3
Exp
Since 2011
I purchased a couple of, I think Tomtom, round self adhesive disks fro Halfords a couple of years ago for about £3.50 each and stuck them on the curved dash on our Relay and Yeti without any subsequent problems.

Worth trying?

Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I purchased a couple of, I think Tomtom, round self adhesive disks fro Halfords a couple of years ago for about £3.50 each and stuck them on the curved dash on our Relay and Yeti without any subsequent problems.

Worth trying?

Good luck
those are probably the ones we have, they just don't seem to last especially if the dashboard gets very hot (sunny weather or driving in winter with the heat on high)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Superglue straight to the glass after cleaning.It will fall off eventually bt will take many months. Just blade across the glass & superglue again.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I gave up with suction screen mounts on our Duetto because they kept falling off and it put the sat nav too far away so we swapped to the circular bean bag type mounting.
The dashboard on the Rienza we have now isn’t flat enough for the bean bag so I have tried the vent type mount but it wasn’t sturdy enough. I have now resorted to making a bracket to fasten the mount discreetly to the dashboard edge.
I didn’t really want to drill the dashboard but by the time we part with this motorhome I won’t care about it.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Araldite would be my 'last resort' adhesive.. after trying all the others.

Reactions: dna
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we hired a van conversion in New Zealand that came with a sat nav. It was mounted on the n/ s door pillar . It gave local formation about things to see and do as well as directions. I suppose it was for the passengers benefit.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Take the sat nav & mount off the windscreen end of every trip.
Freshly fitted sucker mounts don't fall off.
Or use the heavy bag dash mounts. ;)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Our Garmin came with a 'screw down' mount, I removed the clipboard thingy which opened up a useful bit of space, and placed the mount there.
20210309_131202.jpg

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Get a Brodit mount. Well made solid designs. Not cheap!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Superglue straight to the glass after cleaning.It will fall off eventually bt will take many months. Just blade across the glass & superglue again.

Please don’t, I did this once and it cracked the screen. The fitter who replaced it said loads of people do that and crack their screens.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have used one of these in previous vehicles and found it very effective.
It gets 4.5 out of 5 from Amazon customers. (y)

View attachment 480369

Amazon product ASIN B0792CM96L
I used one of those in the Hymer for a few years, but every time we went over a bump, it would move slightly, often requiring re alignment periodically throughout the journey. In the end, I bought a piece of clear round acrylic, and sikaflexed it to the top of the dashboard, conveniently hiding a cable hole from a previous owner's Sat Nav, and used the suction mount on that instead (with a tiny drop of water to assist creating a vacuum). The heavier 9" Truck Sat Nav never moved from the time of installation, until the day we removed it to sell the MH. (y)

On the Flair, the previous owner's application of a smooth carbon fibre plate on the dashboard, has allowed me to mount our Sat Nav perfectly. I have never applied the mount to the windscreen, as it's always been to far away from my reach, and mounting on a side window, only serves to increase the already substantial blind spot created by the "A" post, so a definite NO NO for me.

Good luck finding the right solution for you dna.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Reactions: dna

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We normally have a couple of the round disks for mounting Sat Navs, Phone holders etc on the dashboard. However, they have decided to come unstuck and wander round the dash / fall on the floor etc.

I've tried thicker double sided 3M tape to see if that can cope with the patterned dash but that doesn't last long either (I do clean the dash with isopropanol before trying to stick things down).

Has anyone found a glue that does keep the disks fastened in place?

We don't want to put the Satnav on the clip board, preferring the corner of the dash as less intrusive so any "STICKY" solutions would be great. Our fall back would be to get the Garmin Universal Friction Mount mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Thank you :smiley:
Not clear on what 3M tape you've previously tried but their VHB acrylic foam stuff is very good. Not cheap though!
Amazon product ASIN B01LYMSV8Y
and if you don't want to cut to shape you could get this-
Amazon product ASIN B01D0F0V00

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Not clear on what 3M tape you've previously tried but their VHB acrylic foam stuff is very good. Not cheap though!
Amazon product ASIN B01LYMSV8Y
and if you don't want to cut to shape you could get this-
Amazon product ASIN B01D0F0V00
I tried

BLACK Double Sided 3M VHB Acrylic Squares ~ 100mm x 100mm x 1mm Thick ~ Self Adhesive WEATHER RESISTANT​

Cut to shape for the mount. Maybe it was too cold when I applied it to the dash. I was guessing that the textured surface of the dash also reduces the effectiveness of the adhesive.

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Quick update - I was allowed out of Wales yesterday (first time for a very long time). Having read the above options, I had bought a bean bag mount. It was very stable for the whole trip (mainly on the A55 and M56) so just the more hilly twisty roads to try next.

Thank You again for all the great advice :clap:

ps - there was an awful lot of road kill on the verges of the A55, mainly foxes and badgers. They must have been caught out by the return to busy traffic this week

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Quick update - I was allowed out of Wales yesterday (first time for a very long time). Having read the above options, I had bought a bean bag mount. It was very stable for the whole trip (mainly on the A55 and M56) so just the more hilly twisty roads to try next.

Thank You again for all the great advice :clap:

ps - there was an awful lot of road kill on the verges of the A55, mainly foxes and badgers. They must have been caught out by the return to busy traffic this week
If it fails then go with “sticks like S***” the clear one. Mind you , if you asked me what to use to connect the gearbox to the engine I’d say the same... love the stuff, put a birdbox up with it today, ( not on the motorhome)....

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I have used the Clip Boards Clip to hold a spare CD case and stuck the GPS to that.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I ordered a piece of perspex, warmed it up, put a 10° bend in it and put it in the dash clamp. The sat nav suckers onto that. Only have to re-do the sucker once a year 👍

Reactions: Ode
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I stick every thing with various widths of this stuff -- never failed yet

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun