Disabled showers on site (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Of course there ARE places where the ONLY "facility" is a combination one?. Some filling stations are like that. In some even the staff share them!. (separate) Showers are a slightly different issue in that "urgency" is not such a serious problem.

P.s. Try some of the "facilities" on Truck Stops. if you want "Mucky". I have seen "Crap" in the shower tray on one occasion!.
I must admit that I have been noticing that recently whilst in the Uk & travelling back through France . It struck me as a saving for the establishment at the expense of everyone.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yep I'd use them if that was all there was. If someone disabled needed to use them then guess what, they may have to wait a few minutes just like the rest of us do.

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello,

Sad to report I shall stop reading this thread now - I am finding it all too upsetting.

I would just like to ask all able-bodied Funsters...

When is it acceptable for an able-bodied person to park in a disabled parking bay?

When is it acceptable for an able-bodied person to use the disabled toilet/shower?

I thought the answer, subject to dire emergency, would be never.

It appears from this thread that this is not the case...

Regards to all,

Colin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hello,

Sad to report I shall stop reading this thread now - I am finding it all too upsetting.

I would just like to ask all able-bodied Funsters...

When is it acceptable for an able-bodied person to park in a disabled parking bay?

When is it acceptable for an able-bodied person to use the disabled toilet/shower?

I thought the answer, subject to dire emergency, would be never.

It appears from this thread that this is not the case...

Regards to all,

Colin
I agree Collin I shall no longer be reading this thread
Regards to All Kate x

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I confess that I have used them before, but having read the posts on here from either disabled people or careers , I won't anymore.

I had no idea of the issues you all face. Sorry:(

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The reason I bought our last van was for the 'on board' facilities for my wife - toilet, place to rest etc - if she was 'caught short' prior we had to find a wheelchair accessible toilet - yeah right!

She had a blue badge but unless she needed/wanted to leave the van I would park in an 'ordinary' parking place.

Like many I saw spaces taken by able bodied shoppers with heavy bags, or the Porsche driver who ran from his car - "only going to be a few minutes"

To remove any doubt just don't use disabled facilities........... YOU have a choice

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I,m staying cos I'm stubborn and intend to enlighten the unthinking, or uncaring.....not that it will make an iota of difference in their particular case. But @Chris has been enlightened so it's worth the abuse just to know that one person on here is more aware. Thank you @Chris you have just made the fight worthwhile. :lips: And made me cry. Because that is how much it matters.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'd only use a facility marked for the disabled if all others were in use and there was no one else around that might need it. Then I'd be super quick, in and back out.

Some of us, though not disabled, do have problems like IBS and weak bladders, it goes with getting older, so it's sometimes necessary to "have to go" quickly.

Hope this doesn't upset the genuine needy :).

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
it is no longer PC to label facilities as disabled, but accessible. the sign is however self explanatory.

i would not use such a facility unless in an emergency if nothing else was available, or park in a marked space, or a parent and child one for another example.

to me, its just the way i was brought up, to be considerate.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

• ‘substantial’ is more than minor or trivial, eg it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed

• ‘long-term’ means 12 months or more, eg a breathing condition that develops as a result of a lung infection
There are special rules about recurring or fluctuating conditions.

You do NOT have to have a blue badge to be disabled. Blue badges are issued only if certain conditions are met, and the conditions are strict.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I have modified our van to accommodate Sue, who has progressive MS. To go to any toilet, we have to take a transfer trolley, a change of pads, a change of clothing together with her disability scooter. This makes life a lot easier for me as carer and we avoid most of the above comments.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
My wife suffers from severe PTSD. toilets and showers can sometimes be a problem as she can't be alone in confined or strange places we could use the disabled facilities but tend not to as people instantly assume as she looks physically ok that she/we shouldn't be in there.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
My wife suffers from severe PTSD. toilets and showers can sometimes be a problem as she can't be alone in confined or strange places we could use the disabled facilities but tend not to as people instantly assume as she looks physically ok that she/we shouldn't be in there.
My brother in law had colonic cancer and had a colostomy. Whenever he was confronted with a vitriolic remark as to his fitness he would show his bag, contents and all. I loved it.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Me too Kate I can't believe the attitude of some of the funsters to disabled people and the problems they face daily.

I,m staying cos I'm stubborn and intend to enlighten the unthinking, or uncaring.....

Sod the attitudes of others! :mad: They can ALL take a running jump. If your disabled in ANY WAY, you have nothing to prove, nor anything to defend against. The 'attitude' seems to be that either your one of societies cast offs, or you dont fit into a 'normal person' criteria. The sheer fact that you, (and yours), know the lifetime of hard work and sacrifice that you put into society to make every other persons life more safe, or comfortable, is enough for you, as a disabled person, to stand your ground, and stick two fingers up to those who look down at you and sneer at your disability.
Do they think you somehow 'applied' to be disabled? :eek: Did you 'win' your years of pain and discomfort in some sort of lottery? :confused: Those who today sneer and poo-hoo the disabled may tomorrow join the same club. I represent many disabled Ex Servicemen, many of whom never got the chance to have an all singing/all dancing prosthetic limb, because the bl**dy things were never invented then! Confined for 40 years in wheelchairs because the surgery that could have saved their damaged body's was not available. Guys who get spat on when collecting at poppy time, or abused because they look odd with half their faces missing, and only one eye. They NEVER give in! (y)
We are to quick, (in my humble opinion), to shirk away from those who treat the disabled as second class citizens. Stand up to them, be they *FUNSTERS* or bumsters! You have earned your right to be treated as an equal, so use that right. ;)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Sod the attitudes of others! :mad: They can ALL take a running jump. If your disabled in ANY WAY, you have nothing to prove, nor anything to defend against. The 'attitude' seems to be that either your one of societies cast offs, or you dont fit into a 'normal person' criteria. The sheer fact that you, (and yours), know the lifetime of hard work and sacrifice that you put into society to make every other persons life more safe, or comfortable, is enough for you, as a disabled person, to stand your ground, and stick two fingers up to those who look down at you and sneer at your disability.
Do they think you somehow 'applied' to be disabled? :eek: Did you 'win' your years of pain and discomfort in some sort of lottery? :confused: Those who today sneer and poo-hoo the disabled may tomorrow join the same club. I represent many disabled Ex Servicemen, many of whom never got the chance to have an all singing/all dancing prosthetic limb, because the bl**dy things were never invented then! Confined for 40 years in wheelchairs because the surgery that could have saved their damaged body's was not available. Guys who get spat on when collecting at poppy time, or abused because they look odd with half their faces missing, and only one eye. They NEVER give in! (y)
We are to quick, (in my humble opinion), to shirk away from those who treat the disabled as second class citizens. Stand up to them, be they *FUNSTERS* or bumsters! You have earned your right to be treated as an equal, so use that right. ;)

Damn right, Tootles! But sometimes the ones with the disability use all their energy just to cope with living day to day, so then the baton passes to those who love and defend their rights.....ie me in our case!!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

PTSD. Is utterly awful to live with....for everyone. If she needs a bigger space and to be accompanied then use it. You don't suffer from PTSD for no reason.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Damn right, Tootles! But sometimes the ones with the disability use all their energy just to cope with living day to day, so then the baton passes to those who love and defend their rights.....ie me in our case!!
Me too. well said.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks Tootles with you fighting our cause we can rule the world(y)
Seriously Thank You you have put it all in perspective :)
And thanks to you @Cat53

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back