Disabled showers on site (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Certainly would, they are generally of a better standard, cleaner, contain a toilet too, and empty.

To be honest they are my first choice and I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be. As has been said, they are not exclusively disabled

Bigger granted, and with a sink in there.....could that be because the disabled or their careers might need to wash soiled hands or rinse through soiled clothing. Lay on the floor to be changed as an incontinent adult......not sure I would consider them to be cleaner.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Certainly would, they are generally of a better standard, cleaner, contain a toilet too, and empty.

To be honest they are my first choice and I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be. As has been said, they are not exclusively disabled
That is why the site we used to go to in Spain issued keys to the disabled because they were being used by people who didn't need to use them but felt it was their right because they were empty at the time.
I would happily trade my disability with you . I wish I didn't have to use disabled facilities but I do and will always have to .

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I personally have never seen a "Disabled Shower", only ever a area, marked with the Disabled sign, containing shower, sink, toilet, etc. So if you use a disabled shower, then in my experience, you are using the toilet as well or at very least, stopping the toilet being used by others..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I will add this, to those of you too selfish to wait a few moments for the a non disabled cubicle to be free, just think on. It could be you who suffers a car crash that disables you. It could be one of your cells that mutates into Bowel or pancreatic cancer nessisitating an illiostomy or collestomy. It could be you struck down with Guillane Barr Syndrome, or a stroke, or crippled with arthritis. You are always a hairs breadth away from a catastrophe that could blight your life and disable you. Count yourselves very fortunate that you have been spared....thus far.
8 years ago I suffered a medical event that statisticaly gave me almost no chance of survival and survival held a high chance of brain damage. I like to think from personal experience that I always had for people with disabilities. My survival has reinforced that feeling, i would neverencroach on any disabled persons opportunity to have their life made just a little easier and hopefully ease the burden on the carer. All disabled facilities however signed should be for exclusive use. As Cat53 says we are all potentially only a breath away from disaster.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Not at all!!!!
I'm on 3rd site with just shower and seat!

Well there you are, learn every day. Been at this lark for fifteen years now and never seen one. Was your "just shower and seat" marked as disabled, because my wife would need more than that.

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello all,

May I say, without naming names,

I am a wheelchair user who, when health permits, travels independently in Liberty The Campervan.

I generally stay on Camping and Caravanning Club Sites for the benefit of the disabled facilities.

I have noticed the Camping and Caravanning Club are turning the disabled toilet/shower into a shared Disabled/Family Room.

Please find below the access statement from one such club site with 65 pitches.

"The accessible room on site also provides Parent and Child facilities. Access is by tarmac ramp. The lever door handle is 930mm high and the door width is 840mm. The light switch is 900mm from the floor. The toilet is 455mm high and is a left hand transfer".

My personal experience when I stayed at this site follows...

At 08:30 hrs I went to use the disabled facilities to find it occupied.

I am always happy to wait my turn so I waited outside...

Ten minutes later, a man came out I said good morning and moved forward to enter.

He stopped me and said his wife was getting the children ready and would not be long.

At 09:00 the campsite office opened and I asked the warden to ask them to temporarily vacate the room so I could use the facilities (the man's wife had ignored my knock on the door).

The woman refused and the warden said there was nothing she could do.

So, I had to pack up everything and drive to the nearest disabled toilet, which turned out to be in a Little Chef six miles away.

In October that year I attended the NEC Motorhome show in Birmingham. My first task on arriving was to seek out the Camping and Caravanning Club stand.

I spoke to a very nice man who patiently listened to my story, took all my details and assured me he would bring it up back at HQ and let me know.

Hands up those Funsters who think the Camping and Caravanning Club phoned? emailed? wrote?

So, the moral of the story?

I don't think people can fully understand the problems disabled people face in managing simple everyday tasks.

I am also sure the people I met that morning, the warden and the man and his wife are perfectly nice people who just failed to understand disability.

Also, I now carry a Porta Potty at the expense of one less wheelchair battery pack - another lesson learnt.

Regards,

Colin

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hello all,

May I say, without naming names,

I am a wheelchair user who, when health permits, travels independently in Liberty The Campervan.

I generally stay on Camping and Caravanning Club Sites for the benefit of the disabled facilities.

I have noticed the Camping and Caravanning Club are turning the disabled toilet/shower into a shared Disabled/Family Room.

Please find below the access statement from one such club site with 65 pitches.

"The accessible room on site also provides Parent and Child facilities. Access is by tarmac ramp. The lever door handle is 930mm high and the door width is 840mm. The light switch is 900mm from the floor. The toilet is 455mm high and is a left hand transfer".

My personal experience when I stayed at this site follows...

At 08:30 hrs I went to use the disabled facilities to find it occupied.

I am always happy to wait my turn so I waited outside...

Ten minutes later, a man came out I said good morning and moved forward to enter.

He stopped me and said his wife was getting the children ready and would not be long.

At 09:00 the campsite office opened and I asked the warden to ask them to temporarily vacate the room so I could use the facilities (the man's wife had ignored my knock on the door).

The woman refused and the warden said there was nothing she could do.

So, I had to pack up everything and drive to the nearest disabled toilet, which turned out to be in a Little Chef six miles away.

In October that year I attended the NEC Motorhome show in Birmingham. My first task on arriving was to seek out the Camping and Caravanning Club stand.

I spoke to a very nice man who patiently listened to my story, took all my details and assured me he would bring it up back at HQ and let me know.

Hands up those Funsters who think the Camping and Caravanning Club phoned? emailed? wrote?

So, the moral of the story?

I don't think people can fully understand the problems disabled people face in managing simple everyday tasks.

I am also sure the people I met that morning, the warden and the man and his wife are perfectly nice people who just failed to understand disability.

Also, I now carry a Porta Potty at the expense of one less wheelchair battery pack - another lesson learnt.

Regards,

Colin

No button to press that accurately reflects how to respond to this. Steve, too, always has a pee bottle to hand, for just such occasions. That and limiting his liquid intake. Too many pubs, etc without disabled facilities.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s not JUST campsites, I have seen "disabled" facilities abused in Pub`s, Supermarkets, Stores, and many other places. As an aside, I recently took "desperate" in Aldi, NO LOO`s!. I went across the road to a pub who kindly allowed me to use the Gents`s. BUT not all will!. Gave the manager some cash for the charity box!.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Cubicles marked 'disabled' in toilet blocks on camping sites.
Would you use them?
Recently I was on site when all other cubicles were full so I went in disabled only to be greeted on exit by this elderly German man asking me 'you disabled'?
I asked are you? He didn't have no aid which made him look disabled, ok so neither did I but what gives him rights apart from age to act like that !!!
If their empty I would use them, would you??

CAT53!!!
Please read all of this you might learn something !!!!
What disgusting, destructive opinion you have given this thread!!!
Firstly, at NO POINT was I discussing levels of disability or for the great people that care for someone with a disability!! You have taken this all out of context.
We were talking SHOWERS NOT TOILETS???? Where did you dream that up from ????
It was a simple thread if SHOWER was empty would you use it!!
This is motorhome fun, for good constructive opinions and many that I have received good help and advice from, I do not appreciate how you have tried to turn this into a nasty debate when that was last thing I intended..
Hope you sleep well tonight now !

Actually, @SHARON JOHN, your OP mentioned only cubicles in toilet blocks, which I assumed meant toilets and it seems I am not alone. I now realise the title mentioned showers; my answer to your original question is still no.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It is not a case of disabled access not only, it is about having social awareness just to think that just possibly there might be someone behind you that really has to use that facility
Sorry, but that reads just plain daft. What are you supposed to do, wait outside a disabled loo for an hour without using it, in case someone 'more disabled' happens to pop along??? o_Oo_O

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
W

Totally sympathatic with anybody disabled but sorry, if you have to wait for such a short time then so be it.
Many disabled people I know don't want to be treated any different or given special treatment anyway .
After a recent operation for bowel cancer and having had a Stoma bag fitted , I will be given a key to be able to use locked disabled toilets . My disability may not show as Some have said but this does not mean it does not exist and if that bag needs emptying in a hurry then waiting is not an issue. The fact that a disabled toilet has a hand basin and space is a priority for those that genuinely need it.
Previously I have waited fpr toilets and not used the disabled one and now I may be on the receiving end myself. (y)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Camp Corral 4
Exp
Absolute beginner
The reality is that no-one knows who might have a disability that requires quick access to a loo. Crohns disease, IBS, various auto-immune syndromes, ulcerative colitis etc. etc. don't have visible symptoms and people who don't have diagnosed emergency toilet needs shouldn't be blocking the queue for those who do.

Shame on you Sharon John, you really think that people who otherwise might be anxious about wetting or soiling themselves, or their stoma bags becoming too full don't mind waiting until you've finished your able-bodied business?

And, Sharon John, I don't have a disability, I just think common decency suggests that people who are able-bodied and well able to wait for the loo, do so. Its not an unreasonable requirement.

Or wait for the shower, if that's what you say you're whiffling about

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Shame on you Sharon John

Can you make your point without getting personal, thanks.

The OP has said this was a shower not a toilet. Most of the responses have been about toilet cubicles not shower cubicles.

I know all about urgent toileting requirements and would never occupy a disabled loo outside of an emergency.

As for shower cubicles I don't stop on enough sites that have such facilities but thinking about this, where I have seen them is at gyms and swimming pools. There you notice the disabled loo is normally not used at all by the able bodied but the disabled access shower is often used by the able-bodied if the other showers are full.

Last edited:

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Showers' toilets? on most sites they are included together in a disability facility!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Of course there ARE places where the ONLY "facility" is a combination one?. Some filling stations are like that. In some even the staff share them!. (separate) Showers are a slightly different issue in that "urgency" is not such a serious problem.

P.s. Try some of the "facilities" on Truck Stops. if you want "Mucky". I have seen "Crap" in the shower tray on one occasion!.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

As soon as you make a thread personal it goes downhill fast. Please argue your point without such comments, or don't post at all. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
CAT53!!!
Please read all of this you might learn something !!!!
Firstly, at NO POINT was I discussing levels of disability or for the great people that care for someone with a disability!! You have taken this all out of context.
We were talking SHOWERS NOT TOILETS???? Where did you dream that up from ????
And for your information Cat53, between me & my husbands family we have a 27yr old lad born where his bottom half don't grow as fast as his top half so confined to a wheel chair, we have a 38yr old lad who had accident while drunk but now paralysed and confined to a wheel chair, and my mum who is in stage 5 of her alzhimers so don't ever accuse me of not caring or showing empathy to any disability !!!
My mum needs 24hr care, likes to walk around at night and has to be watched to ensure she's not a danger to herself or anybody else.
Also be careful what you wish for, this thread is about showers not toilets so you sure you haven't got signs of dementia!!! I wouldn't wish anything like this on anybody you should be ashamed of yourself !!
It was a simple thread if SHOWER was empty would you use it!!
This is motorhome fun, for good constructive opinions and many that I have received good help and advice from, I do not appreciate how you have tried to turn this into a nasty debate when that was last thing I intended..
Hope you sleep well tonight now !

Wow! Defensive or what!! So knowing all that, you would STILL actively take the risk of seriously inconveniencing a disabled person? Your attitude speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two points here. Your disabled?? Then you have first shout at the disabled facilities. They were not built or designed for people who are not disabled. You need a shower quick?? Go stand under a tap. (y)
Second point. In this country, we are developing a system of 'keeping up with the Jones's' as far as disibilities are concerned. This 'your not as disabled as me' crap is spilling over onto blue badge disabled areas within car parks. "You cant park THERE, you dont LOOK disabled. I should be parking there, my wife only has one leg......"
My answer was........
"Tell her I will swap her leg for my terminal cancer, now, p**s off" :)
We usually stay at CC sites, just because the disabled facilities work, are (usually) very clean, and modern. I must say that I have not, as yet, come across a disabled facility you have to share with kids, outside a pub or 'Hungry Horse' type place.
Your disabled?? Fine. The man gives you a RADAR key. I have three, which I keep in different places. (Car, M/H, and wallet).
Your not disabled? Then go join the queue. (y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I have a question for @SHARON JOHN ..... Why did you start this thread? Because if you had said nothing at all your secret would have been safe.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
On the other hand,do away with Womens and Mens toilets,just have one big Unisex/Gender Fluid (Theres a joke in there) one,and then a Disability one....JUST for the Disabled.Spare seats in First Class trains and planes ? Fill your boots.
England was the place for orderly queues....WAS being the operative word.
Tea Bag

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I've been reading this thread with interest.

Most of the C & MH sites I've been to have 3 or 4 shower cubicles for ladies, (never enough - usually a queue in the mornings) one of which is equipped with grab rails but no disabled sign on the door.

Is it acceptable for everyone to use these? (Not being funny - genuinely interested!)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Most of the C & MH sites I've been to have 3 or 4 shower cubicles for ladies, (never enough - usually a queue in the mornings) one of which is equipped with grab rails but no disabled sign on the door.

Is it acceptable for everyone to use these? (Not being funny - genuinely interested!)
Of coarse it is Jannine. They are not truly classed as disabled facilities.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
In my case, we cannot get my daughters wheelchair into a normal sized cubicle. If she has to wait for someone who is not disabled and could have quite easily used said normal sized cubicle then that is not right.
It is not a case of disabled access not only, it is about having social awareness just to think that just possibly there might be someone behind you that really has to use that facility, and would love to be able to use a normal facility like anyone else but because they are stuck in that bloody chair, life just gets a bit more difficult and frustrating, things that some people can do without a thought or care in the world, she/we have to plan for.

Fully agree,,its a very selfish dog eat dog world we live in,,,,makes you ashamed sometimes,,,,BUSBY,,

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

If in doubt.....check with the warden. Frankly, if I had no need of grab rails, I would leave it to the person who has.....but it's a moot point for me as I would rather use my Motorhome shower.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Yes. But generally, unless i am ill, I use another one (if available). I generally go for a shower in the afternoon or evening when they are far less busy - and more recently cleaned.

Although we do have our own facilities in the van they are cramped so if there are acceptable showers on a site I will use them in preference to the van shower. I do prefer our own loo though :) = and as it is generally me that does the cassette empty thingy I don't feel guilty!

When I'm not well I try to use a combined loo and shower room as it makes things so much easier - I need the space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back