Disabled Parking Bays (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I once saw a middle aged lady in a brand new Aston Martin park in our local co-op in the only disabled parking bay, I was about to approach her when she took from her glove box her blue badge. Taught me not to make assumptions.

PS she often parks there and is a very pleasant lady.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Yes because I don’t believe it. There are always people from all backgrounds that use disabled bays when they shouldn’t but I don’t see anymore of one particular race than any other.
I can only tell you my personal observations.
I'm pretty sure there are many more Asians in my northern industrial town then there are in Sussex.
The lack of respect of their youths is obvious in so many other ways and I am far from racist.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I can only tell you my personal observations.
I'm pretty sure there are many more Asians in my northern industrial town then there are in Sussex.
The lack of respect of their youths is obvious in so many other ways and I am far from racist.
I lived in Slough for 50 years which has a very large multicultural population and still would say that there are no more Asians abusing disabled bays than any other race.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
What really winds me up is people ignoring the invalid signs and treating them a ordinary Very Good parking place.
Supermarkets are the worse because they are on private property and no one will enforce them.
I saw a sign at the disabled bays at a Super-U near Le Mans which said in typical French no-nonsense style:
'If you must take my space you can have my disability as well'.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If I was disabled but could physically use a ‘normal’ car park space, I would do.
I could've had one 11 years ago but I won't on principle as I'm bloody-minded, seeing it as the thin end of a downward spiralling wedge. All the while I can manage to manoeuvre a trolley across a car park one-armed and walk into and around the supermarket with a Meccano leg (and ride my motorbikes) I'll carry on doing it.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This isn't allowed under the Blue badge scheme. If I'm driving and going to be sitting in the car waiting then I won't use. Disabled space. Only use it if I have to get out of the car. I have only used the blue badge twice whilst in the van both times in France. Both times to park in a disabled spot in an aire.
Since B.e..t we don't have an agreement with Spain to use our Blue Badges in Spain,,don't know about other EU countries..Cannot see any prosecution though if you did.BUSBY.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010

Laura1985

Free Member
Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I have had a physical disability since i was around 10 years old and i can not walk very far without pain and fatigue in my leg, I learned to style out my limp and pain by adjusting the way i walk and by keeping a poker face because i used to get bullied at school which left a lot of mental scars regarding my self confidence which still effect me as an adult, i also suffer sever social anxiety. Now i can walk around and nobody has any idea anything is wrong with me because i do such a good job hiding it, This has been a good thing in every aspect of my life other than when it comes to using a blue badge. I also look young for my age and i am in otherwise great physical shape.

I avoid using my blue badge even when i need to because on days when my social anxiety is up, i worry so much about people looking at me like there is nothing wrong with me, i also don't like the idea of people knowing i have a disability so its a double edged sword. In fact a lot of times i would rather not use a disabled space and walk further in pain just so people don't know i have a disability or think im abusing the space. On days where my anxiety is really bad, i have even paid for parking that i could have got for free just because i have been so afraid of being judged.

I have a camper van and i have never used my blue badge while in it, however it would open up so many more places for me to explore it would be like a god send, i am still struggling with my mental health with the idea of using it hence, me doing some googling and finding this thread. i am trying to muster the courage to start using it.

I would also just like to remind everybody that just because somebody walks from a disabled space and appears to walk fine, be in no visible pain and looks young and healthy, they may be suffering inside both physical and mentally despite having a huge smile on their face.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I have had a physical disability since i was around 10 years old and i can not walk very far without pain and fatigue in my leg, I learned to style out my limp and pain by adjusting the way i walk and by keeping a poker face because i used to get bullied at school which left a lot of mental scars regarding my self confidence which still effect me as an adult, i also suffer sever social anxiety. Now i can walk around and nobody has any idea anything is wrong with me because i do such a good job hiding it, This has been a good thing in every aspect of my life other than when it comes to using a blue badge. I also look young for my age and i am in otherwise great physical shape.

I avoid using my blue badge even when i need to because on days when my social anxiety is up, i worry so much about people looking at me like there is nothing wrong with me, i also don't like the idea of people knowing i have a disability so its a double edged sword. In fact a lot of times i would rather not use a disabled space and walk further in pain just so people don't know i have a disability or think im abusing the space. On days where my anxiety is really bad, i have even paid for parking that i could have got for free just because i have been so afraid of being judged.

I have a camper van and i have never used my blue badge while in it, however it would open up so many more places for me to explore it would be like a god send, i am still struggling with my mental health with the idea of using it hence, me doing some googling and finding this thread. i am trying to muster the courage to start using it.

I would also just like to remind everybody that just because somebody walks from a disabled space and appears to walk fine, be in no visible pain and looks young and healthy, they may be suffering inside both physical and mentally despite having a huge smile on their face.

Hi Laura it is so sad to hear you say that you feel in the way you do regarding use of your blue badge. I hope you do start to use it to enhance your life and get more enjoyment from your campervan. Do you have a friend that can accompany you and provide support for you sometimes. I can understand your anxiety and hope you are able to conquer it. I have recently seen people wearing T shirts with the words "Not all disabilities are visible"

All the best Catpirate

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

Get that badge on the your van and use it!! You sound like my mother she used to apologise for her shaky hand after one of her many strokes I used to tell everyone it was the booze , and was always telling her not to apologise for being alive.

Do they know you NO
Are they relevant to you NO
Are you going to let them spoil your fun NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Get yourself on the Easter Rally some really nice people will be there

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
We use the Blue Badge bays across Europe in the MH when it fits (6.99m), not normally a problem, it is what the bays are for and what you drive should not be an issue.

Wouldn't overnight in one mainly because the bays are in busy areas and close to doors etc.

I do have a story though.....

We were in Lisbon out side the Jerónimos Monastery and museum, late in the evening and not a sole in sight, so I parked in the wheely bay and crashed for the night, at 8am there was a knock on the door and there were 2 very nice policemen on bicycles, ' you can't park here' they said.... I proudly showed the blue badge and said 'Yes' I can......It was then explained to me that the parking here was nose in, I was parked crossways and taking up 5 spaces out of the 8....... smiles all round and I moved sharpish....

Have fun and stay safe

Wannabee

Free Member
Sep 20, 2020
Halifax
Funster No
MH
CompassAvantgarde196
Exp
30 years on boats now MH now a chugger
I've just received my Blue Badge and will be using it this summer for our 7.4m van where it will fit. Does anyone know if being over 3.5t (3850kg) will mean I can't use it in some places or doesn't it matter?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I've just received my Blue Badge and will be using it this summer for our 7.4m van where it will fit. Does anyone know if being over 3.5t (3850kg) will mean I can't use it in some places or doesn't it matter?
Only if over 3500kg is forbidden to park there. Generally it is easier to find on road parking than marked bays in the UK

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I doubt your average traffic vulture would know a 2 ton van from a 7 ton.
Don't worry about it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I dont have a blue badge but due to being tall and arthritic knees I do need to open my door fully
I dont park in disabled spaces but always try to park on the end of a row where no one will park beside me. This is usually possible as I dont mind if its a long way from the store as I need to walk qiute a way before my legs start working properly after driving.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
5 out of 8 bays
Were they bicycle bays?

You need to be aware that since brexit many countries, including spain, no longer recognise or allow the use of UK blue badges.https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-eu/using-a-blue-badge-in-the-european-union
I didn't know that, but not surprised, we have a EU ( German) one so no worries on this side of the channel.
For info: https://www.itf-oecd.org/reciprocal-recognition-parking-badges
This gives a run down on the blue badge scheme and a lot of the different rules that go with it.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
I dont have a blue badge but due to being tall and arthritic knees I do need to open my door fully
I dont park in disabled spaces but always try to park on the end of a row where no one will park beside me. This is usually possible as I dont mind if its a long way from the store as I need to walk qiute a way before my legs start working properly after driving.
I know how that feels, when I use my own car I usually do the same, my wife tells people I only married her for the parking......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back