Free Member
Jun 9, 2015
lincolbshire
Funster No
MH
don't iwn one yet
Exp
ex caraanner
I am an ex caravanner and looking to buy a motorhone but all the ones we like the steps are to high for me to use, are there any removable steps like you get with a caravan for use with motorhomes? And how do other disabled members find using a motorhome?

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Could you not just put an extra potable step down? Are you able to get out of the cab itself? My husband is in a wheelchair so our issues are very different to someone who can walk or stand but have mobility issues. ..... Also don't have a Motorhome yet, either.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have a small plastic folding step stool that I use. Our motorhome doesn't have an electric or other drop down step. You can get all sorts of steps at accessory shops - ours came from a cheap clearance place, B&M or Home Bargains though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I’m not disabled myself but a friend of mine is and with the Peugeot boxer it is a problem. Access to the front passenger seat is impossible for him (to high). Only way he could get in was to turn round, sit down and shuffle through the habitation door until he could haul himself up onto the swivel seat.

After suffering a breakdown (prior to leaving, thankfully) we hired a Ford Tourneo and he could “just” make it in and out of the passenger side of that. So I would think a VW based vehicle would be no problem.

I guess it depends how much mobility you have in your legs, he has next to none.

Brian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gothic8

Gothic8

Free Member
Jun 9, 2015
lincolbshire
Funster No
MH
don't iwn one yet
Exp
ex caraanner
Thanks for reply, i walk with sticks at the moment, and i woukd use a folding step for the cab, but its the steep step into the main part I can't do, we looked at loads but no e seemed easy for me

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gothic8

Gothic8

Free Member
Jun 9, 2015
lincolbshire
Funster No
MH
don't iwn one yet
Exp
ex caraanner
Do the steps you can buy for a caravan work with motorhomes?

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I'm sure we have looked at vans with a level threshold and level inside too. Can't tell you any names I,m afraid. We've trawlers round a lot!

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Make sure any additional steps you get have a goOdd stable base, one of our friends was stepping out of their van and the step tipped over causing her to break her ankle, don't get steps that are too portable

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
multipost deleted