Citysafe

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Surrey UK
Funster No
MH
A Class EuraMobil
Exp
Why is it that there is a small part of your brain telling you that your roof isn't as clean as the rest of the van. Clearly it shouldn't matter - but it does !!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Look at the state of this roof on a motorhome on the ferry to Mull last year...... :whistle:

DSCN1713.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
There's nowt wrong with my roof, I'm errrrr, growing a snooker table. :whistle:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if your roof is white then if going to a sunny climate it pays to give it a good clean before you go.
it reflects the heat.
ideally fill the roof with solar panels . keep them clean though and they shade your roof keeping inside cool as well.
mind you do need a 2-3inch air gap uinder the panels so stick on ones dont work for you .

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I did my with the now famous colonite 476. Water just rolls off it and no black streak's

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They say a certain percentage of the general population have OCD.
I do not clean it particularly often, but it does get done. But I haven't waxed it yet.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
They say a certain percentage of the general population have OCD.
I do not clean it particularly often, but it does get done. But I haven't waxed it yet.
They also say that a certain percentage of the population have DVS (dirty van syndrome)

I know which one I'd rather have

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
If your roof is left for too long without a clean as well as getting mighty hot you are risking serious damage. Green stuff not a problem but it does give moss somewhere to get a grip, if not removed the moss will eat into the roof surface and/or start pushing seams apart.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I recently power washed the roof of my former T5 after about 3-1/2 years, it was black before and red afterwards like the rest of it.

I will try harder with the new van, just not sure how.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Must congratulate you on the Superb roof Angusboy mine looks like that but the van is only a year old and I see yours is over 10,......... sorry Charlie for the miss spelling of colinite we've just spent 11wks in Scandinavia and the van still looks great, followed all your advice and now just wash off with water and use autogylm detail spray to buff it up, going to buy the Maguire's when I get home

OP
OP
Citysafe

Citysafe

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Surrey UK
Funster No
MH
A Class EuraMobil
Exp
I have exactly the same van !!

Did you tell your wife that due to her lower mass she is an ideal roof cleaner. I tried that but she saw through the implied compliment.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
If your roof is left for too long without a clean as well as getting mighty hot you are risking serious damage. Green stuff not a problem but it does give moss somewhere to get a grip, if not removed the moss will eat into the roof surface and/or start pushing seams apart.

I agree with that statement. Just cleaned ours this morning after a longer time than usual and there were little dark green dots all over. It had been parked under trees when in storage. I'm going to polish it when I finish my cuppa. The high gloss finish will slow down the adherence of more moss.

Our 1992 Hymer S700 is up for sale in the "Vans For Sale" section if anyone is interested.
Joan.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
I have exactly the same van !!

Did you tell your wife that due to her lower mass she is an ideal roof cleaner. I tried that but she saw through the implied compliment.

No! I'm just sh*t scared of heights.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back