Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Update I won't name the dealer just yet but check facebook if you need more info.

The owner has just posted this update on facebook

The Manager can't give me a date to fix the van...
And has informed me he has rung the police

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
What are the Police going to do other than enforce road traffic regulations?

Might be told to move off path due to obstruction and I cant see any Yellow lines or road restrictions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Spotted a Renault van between Mt Ambrose and Scorrier saying the same sort of thing couple of days ago.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
**removed post a merged thread did not see other post doh !!

Facebook is going bonkers over this thou, be interesting to see where it goes

Last edited:

Deleted User
I bought from them in December 15, second hand, low mileage the sales people were very good, advising of local temporary storage and accompanying my son to storage site and return to their yard.

No dealings with service side though.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Southampton dealer, although rather old fashioned and a bit dated premises, seem all ok.

I don't know the full story with the above but the motorhome trade's customers must be full of old gits with yappie dogs and nagging wives complaining all the time about something that they could fix themselves (like a loose screw on a cupboard hinge) from what I have seen.

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
The guy posted a list of the faults as the above have said there are always 2 sides to story

19598786_1327652187270077_5978642313897177332_n.jpg

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Over 800 comments on Facebook so far. Watching with interest. Hope it gets sorted for him now.

Al.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Didn't something like this happen a year or two ago as well. Was it the same company?

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
@Gromett , there you go.

Groblers, Motorhomer From Suffolk

Posted 15 October 2015 by Groblers

Quote | Report

Motorhome - Swift Lifestyle 686 - Maquis - Ipswich

Delivery Date

1. Reverse Camera not working.
  2. Door Handle hanging by screws
  3. Missing Oven Tray
  4. Loose Screws in bottom of bed bunk spaces
  5. Covers for Thule Bike rack and Omni store was not in place and keeps popping off.
  6. Water heater was not working from day 1 as there was a sheet covering the utlet and it kept tripping the switch inside.
  7. Incorrect tyre pressure on delivery. Rear Passenger side 4000 and left 5000, on the door it states 5500 for back tyres.
  8. We asked for the Fridge shelf that was missing. This was fitted after I got there for collecting the motorhome. Would it even have been installed/checked if we did not mention it again?
Other Defects

1. Service Battery Level was very low even after 2.5 hours of driving to Folkestone Eurotunnel; 30minutes of inside lights and the service battery was in Red.
  2. Cabinet above fridge – Bad inside cut.
  3. Above mention Door handle came loose and door scrapping when opening and closing.
  4. Main panel cover popped of while driving. Some missing screws in there.
  5. Under main bed the screws are loose and falling out.
  6. Some screws are not even properly in, by Driver side.
  7. Water Filler cap, lock just came out, leaks when it is closed. When totally filled up, it only shows ¾ full on Level Panel.
  8. Grey water outlet got stuck in 1 position and had to unplug the grey water at the back to let the water out.
  9. Plastic Clips that are broken in back Cipboard.
10. Missing curtain stops on some rails, also some screws missing from rails.

11. Finishing on doors of cupboard and other wood finish not flush and of poor standard.

12. Drawer on right of fridge cant open correct with carpet and scrapes the carpet every time it opens.

13. Doors that don’t stay shut and keep flying open, even if it’s in locked position.

14. Bad silicone work on outer bodywork.

15. Panels not lined up when it was installed on front overhang part.

16. Fuel Flap. Extremely bad workmanship. It cut an Italian Fuel Attendant when he opened the Cap and was bleeding badly; I fear he might have to get stitches.

17. The air vent for heater pump is very loose. Flapping in the wind. The Fiat repair center screwed it in again, but he showed me that the one screw is stripped.

18. SAT/NAV – Not a recommended Sat Nav for a motorhome. No settings to restrict Height and weight for roads/bridges. Sat/Nav not functioning correctly as pictures/videos confirm. SAT/NAV Map updates 2013 (see picture), I updated to new maps but made no difference. I was almost 3 times in a serious accident because the GPS took us to bridges that was too low for the motorhome to get through. The police on a 3.5T road, which the GPS send us, also stopped us. Luckily the motorhome was declassed as an under 3.5t vehicle. GPS takes sometimes more than 30 minutes to get satellite lock. Only way to fix it was to reset to factory settings, switch of the car and wait again

19. Service Battery. As mentioned earlier the battery did not seem to hold its charge for long but as we are new motorhome owners did not think anything of it. We did not know how the battery was supposed to last… My wife woke me up at around 11PM after sleeping for about 2 hours or so, coughing and shouting that something is wrong. I woke the other two people and asked them to get outside as well as the two dogs we had with us. I then inspected the motorhome with caution and the strong smell of battery acid was hanging in the air. The smell came from below our bed where I have been sleeping up to recently. I got they keys and unlocked the service battery compartment and the fumes and noise that came from there was terrible. I immediately switched of the electricity, but the battery kept boiling and making popping sounds. I phoned RAC and they said it is not a big problem and will send out a repair team in the morning. Well my health and the H&S of my family and friends is a big thing to me!! We coughed and dogs vomited a few days after this episode still and my lungs still have a burning sensation with a bad taste in my mouth. We slept outside for the rest of the evening. The battery was replaced by the recommended Fiat repair center from RAC.

I have taken photos and videos of the above issues. As previously stated I want to give this motorhome back with above reasons as the motivation factors.

Marquis - Ipswich - Gavin Driver said they would sort these problems out but I dont trust them to do so.

1. They gave me a PDI checklist after i enquired about it on my return from the holiday. They checked everything as in working condition. I have proof that they just used it as a checklist excersize and not actually doing these checks. The pre-checks Marquis Motor Homes have done on this motorhome is far below an acceptable standard. The motorhome was on premises the day I bought it and I gave Marquis Motor Homes every chance to have all this checked and ready for my holiday.

2. Gavin told me to cancel my finance as it would be the easiest option. My Finance told me they wont cancel the finance agreement as Marquis must sort the problems out.

3. I send a letter to Alan Doherty - Group After Care manager, I asked Gavin a week later about the progress on this and he replied with "Alan have not receieved my letter" Lost in the post or just misplaced?

4. Now it is going to get ugly, I tried to be nice about it as would even consider buying from them again. Their refusal to actually acknowlede of their mistakes etc and me being stuck with a MH that I dont trust as far from ideal. Trade Standards and Solicotors is the only way forward if they dont start playing ball.

Thats my story so far , Will keep updating on progress....

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Read one comment from an individual on this same Facebook site who has/had employment with said dealership whereby he suggested that motorhomers shouldnt be surprised that there are faults as it was akin to "towing ones house around the road so you would expect bits to fall off "!o_O...knob head springs to mind.

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Update on facebook

Swift have contacted me.
I've promised not to publish all the pictures of the crappy workmanship until Monday 3pm.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Good grief. Assuming that there is truth in the complaints, I feel so sorry for these extremely disappointed buyers. What should have been a wonderful and exciting purchase became too exciting in such a very bad way.

PS the wheel trim that went AWOL should be added to the first list.

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Has anyone been following the man outside Marquis demonstrating. Has he had any success.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I saw his posts on facebook. Not entirely sure what he is hoping to achieve, his action is hardly going to endear Marquis to him is it? And the leaflets he was handing out were riddled with spelling mistakes.
I understand that he was frustrated, but probably not the best way to handle it.

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Ive have been following it on face book and its everywhere swift are contacting him today and have told him not to post anymore pictures of the faults on his van until they speak to him. The local press have been out to see him and a couple of other motorhomes have joined him.

I say good on him the bad dealers should be named and shamed but don't forget there are also good dealers.

If I was looking for a motorhome and read the bad press about Marquis I would not buy off them.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Here's the pic from Facebook
Hope he gets it resolved.....

IMG_3767.JPG

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
In Jims Motorhome Sales feedback page golly has given Marquis 5* for his purchase. This thread shows that not every customer is as happy with Marquis as golly was.........

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Best of luck to him-he hasn't anything to loose. From facebook marquis called the police to have him moved but he is committing no offences so he is able to continue. His complaints are not that insurmountable and should be easily fixed if the dealer put his team on it.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I wish him well, if I had spent £42k on one product and couldn't get faults rectified, I would do the same.

I recon the manager needs to sit down in a quite room and work out the power of social media. Yesterday's practice of piss off just doesn't work anymore, as his future sales will prove. Silly man

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back