Dipping the oil, what is the correct level? (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Good Morning

We have a 2020 Fiat Ducato 140 PS 2.3 L Euro 6 chassis "Hymer Free 600", when I turn on the key it says "Check Oil" for a few seconds. Not sure if that's the vehicle doing a self check or I need to do it. Anyways, I pulled out the dipstick and this is the reading "See image below". There are no marking's on either side showing maximum / minimum so I'm guessing centre of the narrow bit is the correct level?

This is after 16,000 km.

Checked the service book but it's all in German! Doh. To be honest I found nothing showing the dipstick levels anyways..

All the same, I've ordered some Oil - SAE 0W-30 ACEA C2 - Hopefully that's the correct one.

20210526_082306.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
To be honest I found nothing showing the dipstick levels anyways
Is that no oil at all on the dipstick ?
It looks like there are notches on the dipstick so I wound think the levels should be between the notches.
One problem with modern thin oil is it leaves very little visible on the dipstick so you have to look carefully.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I guess the Max and Min are the top and bottom of the narrow section.
The oil in your pic is at the Minimum which is why you have the 'Check oil' warning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My understanding is that the notch is the level measure, so your oil should be in that space.
On your picture it looks to be at its lowest.

I am unsure on the "check oil" at startup. Mine has always done it since we bought it 2 years ago. The oil level is fine.
If it was a warning you would get some orange or even red warnings come up.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
There is nothing more pragmatic than checking your oil with the dip stick occasionally and good practice, and yes it looks like you need to top that engine oil up

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You need about a litre of I'll in it. Its not unusual to use a bit of I'll when the engine is new. I use 5/30 in mine.... 0/30 is overkill in my opinion.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You need about a litre of I'll in it. Its not unusual to use a bit of I'll when the engine is new. I use 5/30 in mine.... 0/30 is overkill in my opinion.
I guess two things it would be desirable to top up the engine with the same grade of oil that the manufacturer put in and would suggest that the same when changing the oil these manufactures and oil companies work together to provide optimum life of the engine from what they have observed from thier R&D this is the Fiat link https://www.fiat.co.uk/mopar/original-parts/oils-and-functional-fluids/selenia-engine-oil

Having said this people are entitled to thier own opinions and can put whatever they like in to their engine

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Is that no oil at all on the dipstick ?
It looks like there are notches on the dipstick so I wound think the levels should be between the notches.
One problem with modern thin oil is it leaves very little visible on the dipstick so you have to look carefully.
Oil is on the lower part, finishing at the first notch.

I guess the Max and Min are the top and bottom of the narrow section.
The oil in your pic is at the Minimum which is why you have the 'Check oil' warning.
Make sense..
My understanding is that the notch is the level measure, so your oil should be in that space.
On your picture it looks to be at its lowest.

I am unsure on the "check oil" at startup. Mine has always done it since we bought it 2 years ago. The oil level is fine.
If it was a warning you would get some orange or even red warnings come up.
That makes sense too - I'll top it up and see if the message disappears..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like it is on minimum, fill it to about 3/4 of the way up the notch, Euro 6 engines don't like being filled right up. Also make sure the van is absolutely level when checking. The Euro 6 engines can burn a fair bit of oil a litre in 8000 miles is quite common.

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Looks like it is on minimum, fill it to about 3/4 of the way up the notch, Euro 6 engines don't like being filled right up. Also make sure the van is absolutely level when checking. The Euro 6 engines can burn a fair bit of oil a litre in 8000 miles is quite common.

Ok, thank you for that information. I've ordered 2 litres of the following.

SAE 0W-30 ACEA C2

71PhjH4C6ML._AC_SL1376_.jpg

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
Agreed, looks like you are on minimum oil and need to top up. This assumes that you are parked on the level. Being a bit off level could complicate matters, but I'm not show of the effects of 'leaning' different ways.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Agreed, looks like you are on minimum oil and need to top up. This assumes that you are parked on the level. Being a bit off level could complicate matters, but I'm not show of the effects of 'leaning' different ways.
And also assuming you hadn't just switched the engine off and then pulled the stick straight out

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Thatā€™s a great oil, your chips will come out nice and brownšŸ˜‚
Don't think the wife will allow me to add a spoonful to the actifryer! :LOL:

Yep, parked on the level!
And also assuming you hadn't just switched the engine off and then pulled the stick straight out
Dipped it this morning, engine was last on yesterday. But I'm happy with the advice given here, 2l of oil on route!

Thank you guys!

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
On my 2009 Peugeot Boxer, when I first turn the ignition on, it displays five empty boxes in a row and the word OIL underneath.
There is no explanation in the driver's handbook. So I have always relied on the dipstick.
The dipstick is a right pain, as the first time it is withdrawn it is covered in oil up the stick. There is obviously oil hanging around in the tube. If I try to quick for a level it just comes out in an oily mess. Best is to remove stick, get on with something else, then go back and take reading.
You would not think something so simple could be so complicated.

Geoff

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The dipstick is a right pain, as the first time it is withdrawn it is covered in oil up the stick. There is obviously oil hanging around in the tube. If I try to quick for a level it just comes out in an oily mess. Best is to remove stick, get on with something else, then go back and take reading.
You would not think something so simple could be so complicated.

Geoff
I withdraw the dipstick through a clump of kitchen roll so that it comes out clean. You have to wipe it anyway before replacing it to take a reading.
(I've not had any significant prob with oil remaining in the d/stick tube so maybe some vehicles are worse for that than others).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back