DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
We don't have a MH just yet but that is just a matter of time. So whilst we wait for the 'right' one to come along, can I ask a few questions:

1. How do you tie down your wheelchair when travelling?
2. Do you keep a small mobility scooter in the garage or in the habitation area when on the move?
3. Are there any off the shelf steps/stools worth looking at to get from floor to sofa, bed etc?

I am a keen hand cyclist and hope to take the bike away with me as much as possible. I use a Varna II which is a great all rounder and it has been further enhanced with a Chinese emotor, brilliant. If you need any help with this, let me know.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
When I travel with my disabled friend, she has a fold-away mobility scooter that goes under the rear bed. The manual wheelchair does the same and is then easily accessible from both the inside and outside the van.

Nearly all Motorhome's that have a garage at the rear and bed above, come with the steps built in to gain access, but I expect you would need to try them first.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted, oh and welcome :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I used to bungee cord my wheelchair in by the habitation door or if it could be folded and put in the front footwell passenger side if travelling alone.. as for steps, Iā€™m pretty mobile (double leg amputee) and can usually climb around and up on seats/beds but anything that helps you get to do what you need is feasible...

I have an old da-Vinci trike converted with lithium batteries and can do up to 25 miles on one battery (I have 2) so I can go out and about for some distance until the first battery expires then change to the second one and that gets me back..šŸ‘šŸ¼
It fits in a medium locker space or can be clamped to a bike rack on the back...

D492F3C3-3B99-45BB-8008-028FD6517D20.jpeg

There are similar contraptions out there and some can be very expensive....
This would be one of the cheaper ones but they can go up to 5-6kĀ£s..šŸ˜±

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=203150244502

When looking at motorhomes youā€™ll have to take into account what you need from it and where youā€™ll put essential stuff that you need to take away with you... google luck..šŸ‘šŸ¼

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Iā€™m pretty mobile (double leg amputee)

DAK here and yes, moving around isn't too hard. For my rigid chair I use a Freewheel which I can highly recommend. I have an old and not work PDQ, which I think went to Da Vinci? Its a good solution and one I may investigate again, although, as you say Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£.

Motorhome's that have a garage

I'm hunting for a MH with a decent garage. Thanks for the heads up.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I travel with a full size scooter in the garage and an small one in the tow car. I refuse to take my chair with me, and if I am having one of those days when crutches are not enough, I stay in the van. Internal steps will vary differently in opperation in each different van. Layout is everything

If you have a large fixed frame chair then a wider door and lockdown points are essential. Converted vans do come up from time to time second hand with dealers keen to get shot of them quickly

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I use telescopic ramps which also live in the garage

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Have a look at Autotrail Savannah \ Delaware as they have one step up into the bedroom area (you could possibly even design a ramp for it) and have a half-garage that may accommodate a folding wheel chair. As for mobility scooter, doubtful? Be aware they are 4250kg so you need a C1 licence.
If you need a full garage you're probably looking at three \ four steps up to the beds (assuming fixed bed\s).
This is the inside of our 2013 Savannah (the step is about 6" high at the wall partition).
1606219990668.png

and this is the half garage.
1606220083330.png

Ours, I believe was originally purchased by a disabled person who had a "lift" into the hab door but was removed before we purchased it.

Viv Danks

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 19, 2017
Portskewett
Funster No
MH
Escape 684 & T6.1
Exp
Campervan since 2015 onwards - MH 2017-21
Afternoon,

WE have a Swift Escape 684 and worked with Coachbuild GB to add some mods so Wifey can store her big scooter in the garage, deepen the steps so easier to get into beds, add a mahusive habitation door to get in and out easily and move the kitchen back 3 inches to allow more room to move..........would recommend talking to them about your needs and a good 'doner' vehicles or checking out the 2nd hand vans - Really nice company to work with......

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I used to bungee cord my wheelchair in by the habitation door or if it could be folded and put in the front footwell passenger side if travelling alone.. as for steps, Iā€™m pretty mobile (double leg amputee) and can usually climb around and up on seats/beds but anything that helps you get to do what you need is feasible...

I have an old da-Vinci trike converted with lithium batteries and can do up to 25 miles on one battery (I have 2) so I can go out and about for some distance until the first battery expires then change to the second one and that gets me back..šŸ‘šŸ¼
It fits in a medium locker space or can be clamped to a bike rack on the back...

View attachment 443033
There are similar contraptions out there and some can be very expensive....
This would be one of the cheaper ones but they can go up to 5-6kĀ£s..šŸ˜±

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=203150244502

When looking at motorhomes youā€™ll have to take into account what you need from it and where youā€™ll put essential stuff that you need to take away with you... google luck..šŸ‘šŸ¼
Does it have suspension? Sue drives a TGA Breeze S3 which we tow, but your outfit looks brilliant.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Does it have suspension? Sue drives a TGA Breeze S3 which we tow, but your outfit looks brilliant.
No, but low pressure in the tyres and a comfy cushion means itā€™s not too bad....

if you put ā€œBatecā€ in YouTube it will come up with lots of videos of different trikes..šŸ‘šŸ¼

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back