Dim lighting on Fiat instruments my solution (1 Viewer)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Our Pilote based on the Fiat chassis has the well known problem of dull instrument panel lights, so much so that I rely more on the GPS for my speed. Fiat supposedly have a software update but from what I gather there isn't much improvement. My solution was to get a short length of LED tape with a USB connection, I cut this to about 30cm, I then stuck it on the underside of the instrument binnacle plugging it into the usb on the dash. Seems to work ok, I cant see the actual LEDs from my driving position so don't get dazzeled by them but the instruments are well illuminated. Wether I will look like a motorhome driving from hell in the dark I don't know as I chose red leds :Eeek::rofl:
THIS IS THE LED STRIP
SDC12376 a.JPG

THIS WITHOUT LEDS ON

SDC12377 b.JPG

THIS IS WITH LEDS LIT

SDC12389 d1.jpg

Not a particularly good photo, but it gives an idea, time will tell if it works long term, just need to tidy up the cable to the usb socket.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That looks like a great solution. Will be interested in updates to see how you get on in different daylight conditions but should be great at night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Given that most speedos read around 10% fast anyway (except mine which reads 12%!) absolute accuracy when viewing isn't essential surely? Why not stick 'fluorescent' blobs at 30, 50, and 70? Simple & I would have thought very effective. Incidentally I have a 2005 Ducato cab so I haven't actually experienced the problem :whistle:.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I bought the 12v version some months back, but have yet to fit them. rather than plug into a usb adapter, i plan to take power from the ignition live to the radio

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Just got back from fiat software upgrade took around 30 mins no charge and can now read all instruments perfectly. Job done.

Took ours to the local Fiat dealer yesterday to have the tag axle brakes looked at; forgot to ask about the software upgrade but good to know it makes a tangible difference. :)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The mod is OK until you experience bright sunshine. I still need to refer to my navigator at times.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Phoned the local Fiat dealer to arrange the upgrade. They are checking with Fiat for authorisation as the MH is over two years old. (Dunno what difference that makes!!)

If the application fails we'll definitely be following @golly your idea as it is a real issue for us not being able to check the dials.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wether I will look like a motorhome driving from hell in the dark I don't know as I chose red leds :Eeek::rofl:
I wonder how it would look with green LEDs ... they might think an alien had landed and nicked a MH! Could be fun with ones that change colour!!! :D

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Given that most speedos read around 10% fast anyway (except mine which reads 12%!) absolute accuracy when viewing isn't essential surely? Why not stick 'fluorescent' blobs at 30, 50, and 70? Simple & I would have thought very effective. Incidentally I have a 2005 Ducato cab so I haven't actually experienced the problem :whistle:.

Speedo is legally allowed to over-read by max 10%, in my experience the average over-read is 6%. If yours really does over-read by 12% I'd get it sorted, it may need the speedo signal generator drive gear replacing or changing tyre profile may correct it by enough.

D.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have decided once I have got the new van and registered it I will put the KPH speedo dial back in. Much more readable and only about 10-15% of my mileage is in the UK.
I know the van's new now but would it pass an MOT with a kph speedo in the future?

Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
I know the van's new now but would it pass an MOT with a kph speedo in the future?
My brother has a Burstner which has a speedo in kph and it passes the MOT every year. Not sure if you change from mph to kph though.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
mot rules do change, so what was once accepted is no longer. ie tape on lhd headlights etc

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@Polar bear The Fiat/Desira dealer in Diss has said we do not qualify for the upgrade as a Burstner Nexxo 2014. How old is your MH - is it out of guarantee? Depending on your reply I may 'phone Fiat.
Pamela

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Snailtrailer my van is 1month old bought in December, I would phone fiat main dealer as mine was done by fiat main dealer not the company I bought it off.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
@snailtrailer this is the contact email I got from fiat for my Hymer, it was only a few months old but worth you ringing them , you may get authorisation
FiatProf.png

Dear Mr

Thank you for contacting Fiat Professional.

We write with reference to the query you raised regarding the instrument cluster on your motorhome.

Regarding your query, we have now received feedback from the relevant department that there is an update for the visibility of the instrument cluster available for your vehicle.

In order to have the update carried out we invite you to contact your nearest, authorised Fiat Professional dealership, a list of which can be found on www.fiatprofessional.co.uk

Should you need any future assistance please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Relations team from Monday to Friday between 9:00 and 18:00 and Saturday from 08:00 - 17:00 on our toll free number Link Removed, choosing option number 2.

Kind regards,

Julien Ardin
Customer Relations
Fiat Professional

FIATCAMPER_nv.jpg

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Heard from Fiat today that our Burstner is an older model and they do not have the software to deal with the problem of poorly lit dashboard. For the moment back to the strip of foil but will certainly have a go at the LEDs. Thanks for the tip @golly and to @Polar bear and @Larrynwin for their input.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The fault is so well known, ours is due to be fixed next week, that I would think you have a claim for full replacement under the "inherent fault" clause. This covers items up to six years old I believe.

I have read somewhere that 1 in 10 instrument panels like these are faulty. The mechanic who checked ours this week said he had changed at least thirty of them in the last eighteen months.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Our Pilote based on the Fiat chassis has the well known problem of dull instrument panel lights, so much so that I rely more on the GPS for my speed. Fiat supposedly have a software update but from what I gather there isn't much improvement. My solution was to get a short length of LED tape with a USB connection, I cut this to about 30cm, I then stuck it on the underside of the instrument binnacle plugging it into the usb on the dash. Seems to work ok, I cant see the actual LEDs from my driving position so don't get dazzeled by them but the instruments are well illuminated. Wether I will look like a motorhome driving from hell in the dark I don't know as I chose red leds :Eeek::rofl:
THIS IS THE LED STRIP
View attachment 141350
THIS WITHOUT LEDS ON

View attachment 141351

THIS IS WITH LEDS LIT

View attachment 141352
Not a particularly good photo, but it gives an idea, time will tell if it works long term, just need to tidy up the cable to the usb socket.

just to get back to your original post, I think it's a great idea, you could also get different colours and change them occasionally ?

Jul 5, 2016
Farnborough, Hants
Funster No
MH
AutoSleepers Hi Top
Exp
Just getting back into it after 20 years
Wouldn't you have to make the needle fluorescent as well??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back