snooky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
teesside
Funster No
MH
looking to buy
Exp
ive got my eye on an American RV and it's out of test and it's had no advisories last year but done less than 30 miles for certain reasons.
My question is if I went and bought it and took it to an MOT station and it failed would I be allowed to drive it the 300 mile back to my house to get the work done and then put it in a test centre near my house ?? Or would I be able to go and buy it but book it in to a test centre close to my house and be legal to drive it back to the test centre near my house ??
It's 30ft so can't put it on a big trailer to bring home. I need to drive it somehow.
Thanks

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ask the seller if you can take it to a test centre pre-purchase as an inspection (if its as good as he thinks the worst he will get is a shortlist of problems)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
My mot is always due whilst we are in France. Usually book a testing time at home and drive back legally. Contacted my local police and was told you can drive if it is to a booked appointment for the test. NO other excuse is accepted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

snooky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
teesside
Funster No
MH
looking to buy
Exp
He would let me I of thought but it's a bargaining tool if it's got no MOT on and he is 300 miles from me so I'd have to book it in and get there in time. It does seem like a logic thing to do but the timing has to be right etc.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
If out of mot, you can drive to an mot appointment nearest to where the vehicle is sited, no guarantee that insurance will pay out in the event of an accident

OP
OP
S

snooky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
teesside
Funster No
MH
looking to buy
Exp
My mot is always due whilst we are in France. Usually book a testing time at home and drive back legally. Contacted my local police and was told you can drive if it is to a booked appointment for the test. NO other excuse is accepted.
So if I got it booked in with a test center I should be legal to do it ?
What about if it was booked in for MOT the day after I was driving it home ? Would that still be legal or not ?

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi There the answer two both questions is “No”. To drive a vehicle which is out of MOT it must be booked in to a test station on the day it’s on the road and within the shortest reasonable distance from where the vehicle is off the road at the moment to the testing station. You cannot detour to go anywhere else on the MOT day you must go straight there, road closiures, accidents and police direction accepted. If the MOT has run out and you have it tested where you are and it fails then the work has to be carried out before it is allowed back on the road.
Best Wishes Tony

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There is no specification of where the mot station has to be , and the distance to it . The only caveat is that the journey can not be used to detour to pick up shopping etc, it has to be direct, no motel on the way etc. The other caveat is that should you be stopped on the way to the MOT and the vehicle is found to be in an unroadworthy condition then there is no defence of being on the way to an MOT test . The other thing is about after the test , if it was to fail for say innoperative head light then it would be reasonable to drive back to you place of repair during daylight hours , if it was because there was only one brake circuit in operation then it would need to be recovered not driven .

OP
OP
S

snooky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
teesside
Funster No
MH
looking to buy
Exp
Ok thanks for replies. I'll see about getting it tested near the sellers place if all goes well.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Sounds like it needs a VOSA Test Station , what does it weigh? Is it a clas 7 ?

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Sounds like it needs a VOSA Test Station , what does it weigh? Is it a clas 7 ?

Weight not a problem it would still be class 4, same as any other motorhome. The issues are that its not always easy to find somewhere with the suitable equipment to actually test the vehicle. Suitable lift or service pit and sometimes an issue with wheel base. Council depots are always good options as they have a wide range of equipment for all the differant vehicles.

Shawn

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That only applies in the UK . I hope you are never involved in an accident in Europe as the requirement is "legal" in the country in which it is registered . which it wouldn't be.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977

No way is that legal. No mot no insurance. What you are saying is you can carry on your travels around France then take it for a mot when you decide to go home.

OP
OP
S

snooky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
teesside
Funster No
MH
looking to buy
Exp
It's a 30ft C class so I would think it will be around 5500kg to 6500kg without splitting hairs. The guy knows where it was tested last time but his Dad owned it and took it who unfortunately isn't here anymore hence him not wanting to drive it.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Worth posting on RVOC forum, giving the rough location and asing for MOT and possible repair recommendations in that area. When we had a RV I wouldn't have wanted it serviced or repaired at the places we used for MOT, for no other reason than lack of specific experience and knowledge of the type of vehicle. I once had a row at the official VOSA test station in Guildford when they tried to fail it after making a mistake in the weight/brake force calculations.

Malcolm

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As others have said not legal to drive it in France so how do you get it back to the UK?

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
I’m with @canopus - I understand if the seller doesn’t have the licence/experience/confidence to drive it, but I would be very wary of something 300 miles away with no MOT. Cynical? Suspicious? Yep, all of those things and the only time I ever ignored the “little voice” which said “walk away” I regretted it hugely and ended up with a cr%p vehicle and out of pocket.

Other vehicles are available .....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I’m with @canopus - I understand if the seller doesn’t have the licence/experience/confidence to drive it, but I would be very wary of something 300 miles away with no MOT.

If it is the van you want and the price is right is there any harm in going to have a look? Maybe you could drive it to a test station near the seller's place (check insurance of course) and buy subject to an MOT pass.

When we were looking for motorhomes we traveled a lot further than 600 miles on occasion!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If it is the van you want and the price is right is there any harm in going to have a look? Maybe you could drive it to a test station near the seller's place (check insurance of course) and buy subject to an MOT pass.

When we were looking for motorhomes we traveled a lot further than 600 miles on occasion!

I would add. Subject to MOT, and negotiation as to what portion of any work you will be prepared to pay/discount from the cost?. Do bear in mind that there are a limited number of people who are experienced in work on R-V`s. Your average garage even good ones with HGV experience are not familiar with US systems. Those with the experience are few and far between. I can only name 3 that I would recommend, and at least 2 I would avoid! and that goes back before 2011.

Edit:- I note you are @ Teesside, so suspect what you are looking at is way down south?. I used to Live at Yeovil, Somerset. If you give me heads up I will look up my old MOT`s and see who is still operational?. Alternatively Eddie (Vanbitz) used to have an R-V and might still have connections.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
A further heads up , its just not mot able items that you need to be concerned with , as the wrong RV can be a money pit to the point of being not financially viable to repair , and still be roadworthy from an MOT point of view.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Couldn't someone fetch it on trade plates that's an idea I don't know if that would be legal. If you drive otherwise you have to be awareof the dreaded ANPR cameras

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Our Harvey's MOT is due in February we shall be on the continent in February, believing that it would be illegal not to have a valid MOT at all times, we took him in last week to have his MOT...he passed with flying colours:D

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Our Harvey's MOT is due in February we shall be on the continent in February, believing that it would be illegal not to have a valid MOT at all times, we took him in last week to have his MOT...he passed with flying colours:D
Quite correct, very sensible, there’s no reason to be on the continent when an mot runs out! (y)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
As previously said well worth posting details and Reg number on RVOC - You would be surprised how many people actually know most of the RV's and their history so you may well get a quick break down on the vehicle Destination Unknown is on RVOC and here and comes from up your way so may be able to point you at good MOT sites

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back