LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We have a Philips Lcd flatscreen tv bought it in 2007. I always used the red button service before the digital changeover especially for news and travel items ect . Well our changeover was in April and since the changeover no red button service. No one would take resposibility for this. The telephone service for the switchover and several departments later said it was not a broadcasting problem. So then we contacted Philips. They said it was a software fault and would be sorted out over the following days after changeover. After a few days no red button, contacted them again to be told that program had not even been designed so could take months:Angry:.Was furious very expensive tv not fit for the purpose we bought it for. Argos did not want to know as it had been over 4yrs since we had bought it:Angry:.

As it is now October thought i would ring Philips again to be told "Oh yes we can help you it will be sorted in the next few working days, a technician will call and sort it out, on the odd occasion if they can't do it they will take the tele away for a few days to sort it out" :Smile:
I am a bit annoyed because they had not contacted me to tell me they can now resolve the problem, i did complain in April and was given a reference number you would have thought they would have contacted us.
So hopefully in the next few days a technician should be making contact we shall see.
Has anyone else had the problem with the red button service.

Kate x

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
a PHILIPS !!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously,, Not had a problem.. Got a proper TV a Samsung :thumb::ROFLMAO:

Seriously serious now..... May be worth checking if there is a reset or factory setting in the menu and do that rather than the add channel re-tune. Sometimes can resolve issues.
ALSO.... Power the TV down, unplug it completely and wait a short time and power it back on.
If that fails and it's software based it may be more complex as the TV company have stated.. :)
Good luck..

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i've survived all my life without pressing the RED button but curiosity got the better of me and I pressed it just now.......its a bleedin' short cut to Ceefax/teletext.

i've wasted my whole life manually selecting teletext.....NOT !!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
a PHILIPS !!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously,, Not had a problem.. Got a proper TV a Samsung :thumb::ROFLMAO:

Seriously serious now..... May be worth checking if there is a reset or factory setting in the menu and do that rather than the add channel re-tune. Sometimes can resolve issues.
ALSO.... Power the TV down, unplug it completely and wait a short time and power it back on.
If that fails and it's software based it may be more complex as the TV company have stated.. :)
Good luck..

Thanks, done all that Steve, it is philips that have to sort it out now. I depend on the service for subtitles and news due to my hearing problem

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Not had a red button problem - don't use it. But last year had some problem with a Philips TV that had worked fine for years. Can't remember quite what the problem was but I contacted Philips who advised unplugging for a significant length of time (either 12 or 24 hrs or something like that) It worked a treat. So try a long switchoff and see what happens.
Wyn

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Kate,

We recently had problems with 2 x Freeview receivers since the recent switch over, and upon advice from a very knowledgeable fellow MH'er, I tried a software download first, but with no joy. Instead it was a factory reset followed by an auto retune which restored the 2 x receivers to normal again. If it's a Freeview issue, that may be a solution for you.

Is the TV covered by an extended warranty?

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
i've survived all my life without pressing the RED button but curiosity got the better of me and I pressed it just now.......its a bleedin' short cut to Ceefax/teletext.

Its not just teletext to me and many others with a hearing problem, i bought it to do a service for me.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

It's not just teletext. Quite often there are extra shows and sport on the red button, eg, extra matches at Wimbledon, Golf, etc ...

and my favourite, Test Match Special can listened to whilst you can keep an eye on the scoreboard, so if you don't have Sky and you just tuned in you are not waiting to be told what happened, you can see it. :thumb:

there is some useful stuff there, (as well as a lot of dross I must agree)

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi Kate,

We recently had problems with 2 x Freeview receivers since the recent switch over, and upon advice from a very knowledgeable fellow MH'er, I tried a software download first, but with no joy. Instead it was a factory reset followed by an auto retune which restored the 2 x receivers to normal again. If it's a Freeview issue, that may be a solution for you.

Is the TV covered by an extended warranty?

Cheers,

Jock.
Thanks for info,
No extended warranty, but Philips have stated it is there problem and they will fix it now 6 months on.

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Not had a red button problem - don't use it. But last year had some problem with a Philips TV that had worked fine for years. Can't remember quite what the problem was but I contacted Philips who advised unplugging for a significant length of time (either 12 or 24 hrs or something like that) It worked a treat. So try a long switchoff and see what happens.
Wyn

Yes when i contacted philips they told me to do different things none of them worked. Then they said it was that model tv that was the problem.

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs

SHOULD AVE GONE TO RADIO RENTALS (BEST RASTAFARIAN ACCENT}:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Well had technician phone me this morning. Can't come out just yet he has lent the disc/card he needs to do the job to somone in lincoln ?????????????????????????:Sad: he said" common fault no probs he will ring me to make a date when he gets his card/disc back":Angry: .

I also got an email from Philips for a work sheet dated, so it looks like they
have taken responsiblity at last. Still not got red button service yet though.

Kate.

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Well had technician phone me this morning. Can't come out just yet he has lent the disc/card he needs to do the job to somone in lincoln ?????????????????????????:Sad: he said" common fault no probs he will ring me to make a date when he gets his card/disc back":Angry: .

I also got an email from Philips for a work sheet dated, so it looks like they
have taken responsiblity at last. Still not got red button service yet though.

Kate.

HOORAY. update.
The technician has been out three times todate. Could not fix problem. Just got a call can we pop round. New symm card from Philips pushed it into back of telly and hey presto i now have RED BUTTON SERVICE. One happy person now i am:thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I'm saving up for a red button....:ROFLMAO:

Good news.... Now sell it and buy a 3D TV....

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
2007!

It is redundant in these days of technology, hoiw can my poor TV Wholesale business survive with all you tight fisted consumers not changing their tele every year :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back