Digital or sine wave generator (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Ok all you boffs, what does a sine wave generator do that a digital jobbie don't. Is it just a case that the sine wave is cleaner? What would be the better option for running a LCD Tv, charging Van/leisure batts etc.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sine waves are "cleaner" as the transient from 230-0-230 is gradual whereas the digital has a very sharp "+ve and -ve" points liable to spikes.I feel this will electrically "stress" the equipment running off it.

Some appliances like most microwave ovens rely on the higher peak voltage of a true sine wave and will not cook as fast on modified square waves.

Also, a lot of things expect the smooth slope of the sine wave so that their triac-light dimmer type circuitry will work properly. I think this is why some electric blankets will not work on mod square wave. They used to just turn on and off as I remember to regulate temperature.

Bread makers sometimes won't work. Some coreless drill chargers will break (De-Walt comes to mind) when plugged into mod-square wave sources.

Some RCA small dish receivers won't work. Square wave inverters make noise too lots of times... Audible acoustic and electric noise. Hi-Fi's and audio equipment can be noisey. Some computers will not work either although I haven't personally seen one that didn't.

Motors usually like sine waves better. Motors can run warmer on mod-square.

Usually the battery chargers built into mod-square inverters , if they have a charger built in, will normally be of the Triac light dimmer type and will have a low power factor and draw big current peaks, requiring larger than normal generators for battery charging as well as causing lots of electrical noise...

Personally I'd go for Genuine sine wave every time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Many thanks for the lightning fast response Steve, I will go with the pure Sine Wave.

Dane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
I presume that this is the difference between the red & yellow Kipor that I keep on about. Our microwave is not too keen, even though the genny is 3000.
If I knew the difference when I bought it, I would have gone for the yellow one.
Nigel

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Nigel, I am having trouble deciding what if any the difference is between the red and yellow. I have been on the Kipor website and they say they are both sine wave

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Diabalo
You will have to get the brighter members to explain to you, I don't understand.
My friend has a yellow 3000 Kipor I have a red one. His will run my A/C no probs. mine will not run it at all (it trips out)
Nigel

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi all 220v AC generators produce pure sine wave, but the cycles per second are dependant on the engine speed, as is the voltage, inverter generators like the Honda and Kipor produce DC which goes through the built in inverter and produce a very stable 220v supply at a constant cycles per second irrespective of the generator speed, the Honda produces pure sine wave, I don't know about the Kipor.

Olley

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all 220v AC generators produce pure sine wave, but the cycles per second are dependant on the engine speed, as is the voltage, inverter generators like the Honda and Kipor produce DC which goes through the built in inverter and produce a very stable 220v supply at a constant cycles per second irrespective of the generator speed, the Honda produces pure sine wave, I don't know about the Kipor.

Olley

HI Olley, the red kipor is a modified sine-wave genny while the yellow ia a pure sine-wave and the price difference seems to indicate the extra curcuitry involved.
i have a yellow kipor 2600 so i can run the laptop, camera/phone battery chargers ect and the air-con unit. i believe laptops dont like mod-sine gennys and i dont think the motor on the air-con will run on mod-sine???

john.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi pappa my lappy runs fine on modified as most will, aircon units will also be ok, its any device which uses an electronic control device that may have problems.

Lappys power supplies just use a stepdown tranny and a rectifier so ok. aircon use an electric motor so again ok.

AM said its triac's that have problems, but that not something I know much about. The only two items I know of which may have problems are electric toothbrushes and washing machine controllers.

Olley

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I went for the yellow KiporIG2000 in the end ordered Sunday arrived on Tuesday. It runs a treat will do everything I need. Many thanks for all the help and advice.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi pappa my lappy runs fine on modified as most will, aircon units will also be ok, its any device which uses an electronic control device that may have problems.

Lappys power supplies just use a stepdown tranny and a rectifier so ok. aircon use an electric motor so again ok.

AM said its triac's that have problems, but that not something I know much about. The only two items I know of which may have problems are electric toothbrushes and washing machine controllers.

Olley

ya mean i could have saved around £60 :Angry::Angry:
yellows a nicer colour though.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back