Difficulty finding storage for next summer around Bedfordshire.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Storage' started by Jands, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Euphony

Euphony Funster

Ratings:
    +1,904
    Hi MinxyGirl,
    Sorry, I’ve just seen this. Yes my car is fully insured while leaving it there, I checked with RAC insurance before doing it the first time and they said yes as long as the vehicle is not left unsupervised which it isn’t in a gated, CCTV covered storage facility.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +22,589
    Possibly but that's not my query ... as an example if your car gets damaged at the storage site and you have to make a claim on your own insurance would it actually be covered as you'd have left it there unattended and not in the 'insured' location ... the only reason I ask is that when doing insurance renewals for vehicles I'm always asked where the vehicle is normally left during the day and at night so it obviously has some relevance to the policy cost and possible terms too ... so if a vehicle is stored away from home and not where it was 'recorded' as normally being it might then not be covered. Better to check with the insurer than to just 'assume' it is covered.

3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +22,589
    That's good ... I just wonder how many people check though ...

4. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +4,256
    I think if the car is normally at home occasional parking at a m/h storage would be fine. As to the getting ready to go debate we do a bit of both we park in a secure compound and save on insurance by doing so but have just enough room to park at home the night before going away so it might be worth the OP thinking of that as an option. I think when the spring comes theres often a bit of turnover at the storage places perhaps best asking them for a timescale estimate?

5. Rob Hammond

Rob Hammond Funster

Ratings:
    +173
    Just out of curiosity was it a decent amount you saved on your insurance,just thinking further down the line ,thanks .

6. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +4,256
    I think it was about £100 just get your insurance to quote on the drive or the local casssoa gold site. We are with comfort I think!!

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. Crazylegs

Crazylegs Funster

Ratings:
    +181
    9EE8367C-A161-4900-9EBC-7C4128748993.png You need to check your intended insurer will be ok with your intention to store away from home, I read that some won’t insure in those circumstances. The answer to your search for storage surely must lie with Google, a quick search reveals the above. In addition to this most towns have farmers that offer storage I am aware of two in the Leighton Buzzard area.

8. Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,908
    When I checked ( several years ago) they said it was not a problem where I left it occasionally. The insurance is based on where it is Normally kept ( i.e. Driveway, garage, roadside and postcode). In this sense Normal would be most of the time, i.e. Not the occasional weekend or fortnight. If the latter though, I think I would tell them anyway.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  9. joka250

joka250 Funster

Ratings:
    +217
    I have found that by tying motorhome, car, travel, European breakdown and house insurance to same company we are able to leave car at storage and be fully covered with unattended home for extended periods. Not all companies will provide al of this and car in particular needs careful scrutiny of small print.

10. Jands

Jands Funster

Ratings:
    +209
    Tried all the Cassoa ones locally and any I found on Google.
    It's sites that don't advertise like the 2 in the Leighton buzzards area is what I am after.
    Leighton is local to me so would be ideal.