Diesels? For those who know, to educate one who doesn't! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
J
Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
Bio diesel is out then! Can't be doing with that faf. Veg oil is just too expensive now, unless someone knows of a cheap source. It's still probably too much bother though - shopping for gallons of oil

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I had an old Land Rover and ran it on veg oil, till they put the price up to match diesel. By Bio diesel, do you mean veg oil, or is there something else? Is it a viable alternative cost and availability wise?
Is it any cleaner?

Do you think there will come a time when they say older vehicles will have to be scrapped, or will they just let them die a natural death. Motorhomes tend to be kept on the road until they become too expensive to repair. Mine is 18 yrs old, still going strong and still worth a few bob. How would they take me off the road? Would it be by tax on fuel, in which case all diesels will suffer. Would they have a sell by date when diesels will have to be scrapped? What are they going to do?
Unless they are going to scrap all lorries , tractors , etc; then the answer is no . If you are prepared to accept the aforementioned to be exempt whilst those paying the bills are penalised then there's no hope.

I agree with your sentiments but;
"Drax power station in Yorkshire uses wood pellets to create electricity. The move from coal was considered to be environmentally friendly. But far from cutting emissions, change is actually increasing them. In turn, it is adding millions of pounds to Britain's electricity bills."

So it doesn't use Coke but what it does do increases the emissions.
& where does the supply come from for Drax ? :whistle:

Bio diesel is out then! Can't be doing with that faf. Veg oil is just too expensive now, unless someone knows of a cheap source. It's still probably too much bother though - shopping for gallons of oil

Used to be obtainable at fuel stations here alongside normal diesel .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You have lost me here. Petrol, Diesel, Hydrogen and Li batteries are all energy storage mechanisms...
It is not possible to generate enough power within the footprint of a car from either solar or wind so you absolutely MUST have a storage mechanism.
Hydrogen is the worst of them as it pernicious, dangerous, and requires huge energy expense to create not to mention the CO2 released in the process.
Li is the best because it is efficient, clean and safe (relatively).
Technically no, that is not correct, petrol, diesel and hydrogen have an energy that can be harnessed. A LION battery has zero energy until it is supplied by another source.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Extremely interesting, the use of solar to strip hydrogen is a brilliant idea. I'm sure more advances will be made in this direction.
It is crazy.
Did you read what I posted above?
If you use solar to strip hydrogen via electrolosys then spend some more energy to cool it and compress it. Then put it through a fuel cell to get electric back out you will see less than 50% of the electric you got from the solar panel in the first place.

If however you use that same solar panel and store the electric in a Li battery, you end up with close to 95% back out.

Hydrogen is a very poorly efficient way to store electricity...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Technically no, that is not correct, petrol, diesel and hydrogen have an energy that can be harnessed. A LION battery has zero energy until it is supplied by another source.
That is correct but is a touch pedantic. They are all used as an energy store to power a vehicle (for the sake of the conversation we are having here).
The gas tank in a car is the same as a battery. Neither is useful until you fill/charge them.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I saw that on the tech sites a few weeks ago.

It still releases CO2 and although massively reduced still releases particulates and NOx. It might be a short term solution until batteries get up to speed and down to price.
I am also curious of what the real world cost of the Bosch technology will be, and what the reliability is like, what maintenances is going to be like and is it as good at low temps on startup?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
That is correct but is a touch pedantic. They are all used as an energy store to power a vehicle (for the sake of the conversation we are having here).
The gas tank in a car is the same as a battery. Neither is useful until you fill/charge them.
Well no, that analogy doesn't hold water. A metal canister (petrol tank) indeed has no potential energy, whereas 20 litres of petrol has a massive amount of potential energy. A Li battery has zero potential energy, it simply stores energy generated elsewhere.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It is crazy.
Did you read what I posted above?
If you use solar to strip hydrogen via electrolosys then spend some more energy to cool it and compress it. Then put it through a fuel cell to get electric back out you will see less than 50% of the electric you got from the solar panel in the first place.

If however you use that same solar panel and store the electric in a Li battery, you end up with close to 95% back out.

Hydrogen is a very poorly efficient way to store electricity...
Yes I read the article, and I agree with it almost wholeheartedly. This will certainly be the future of zero emission transport/energy going forward.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Just to add my thoughts, I believe the challenge is that the policy setters appear to me to maybe have a different agenda,certainly a different timescale agenda than the technology is really ready for
Take plug-in hybrid cars,just as an example, they are coming at a faster and faster rate and the manufacturers are press-releasing at a faster and faster rate.
(BTW part of my job to forward plan our company car fleet)
If I order 20 plug in cars today, I need 5 ( and that is a guess by the way) charging points
If every other business on our small-ish industrial estate does the same, we need a new substation!
On a big estate its a massive issue
If you also live on a terraced street,like MILLIONS do, can you imagine the charging leads running over payments..?

Hydrogen fuel cell or whatever the argument or solar is just not ready yet
Maybe Diesel or petrol for that matter is bad, but its what we have had foe 120+ years, to try and get rid of it in a handful of years for political appeasement is madness

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
2500 litres

I was never sure whether it was per person, or per household. If there are two of you living in a house and its per person then that would give 5000 litres per year. More than enough.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Diesels irritate the lungs of some people.

Petrol cars bugger the planet.

You choose.

Make no mistake this whole charade is about extracting money from us..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back