Diesel (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2016
kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 810G
Exp
since 2003
Hi all you motorhomers in regards to the recent government attack on diesel vehicles do you think diesel vehicles have had there day.

Joe:(

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
No as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It is beginning to look like it...making it too expensive to drive them in any town or city will do it for most...

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
The head of JLR says No
The head of Volvo says Yes

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
All depends how old you are , same as a cashless society not in my lifetime but ?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
No
Even with scrappage schemes where the government allow £1000 will only get rid of 15 year old Peugeot 205's and similar.
The majority of diesel vehicles have fairly substantial money invested in them so the 'incentive' to scrap would not work.
Even copying the London LEZ in other cities is difficult due to the cost of setting up and operating it so being forced to change is also a non starter.
Until technology (and affordability) make environmentally friendly car ownership attractive, the diesel is still the best option purely as it uses less fuel compared with petrol engines.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
They'd have to cough up (get it) an awful lot to persuade me to part with my 17 year old Espace. Even £2k wouldn't go anywhere near buying a new motor unless I was already contemplating a change.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Emphatic no....... They may punish car drivers but for commercial there is no viable alternative. Since our MHs are based on commercial vehicles the end is nowhere in sight.

All this Diesel this Diesel that is utter cobblers and an excuse to rob us blind.

If and when towns start charging where we go we will go somewhere else.

Anyway we have a toad you know one of those things everyone loves and are completely legal and in Spain as well....

Ruuuuunnnnnnnn .........

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
No obvious alternative for heavy haulage and electrical vehicles are, IMHO, worse when yo take into effect the extra emissions involved in the manufacture, battery replacement and charging from 'dirty' electric sources. Some sort of hydrogen power that only produces water would be clever but seems years away.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I read that a council has bought a fleet of gas powered bin wagons, not lpg but gas. They have to have four tanks on board to do a days work. Not sure if they have converted Diesel engines or put big petrol/ gas engines in them. No mention of gas turbines in the report so not sure what they are. Probably OK for 60/100mls local bin collect but not long distance I wouldn't think.

Edit. It's Leeds council.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Just saying like.....:)
IMG_3531.JPG
IMG_3532.JPG
IMG_3533.JPG
IMG_3534.JPG
IMG_3535.JPG

Deleted User
I think the days of any combustion engine in major cities are numbered. I don't think it will be long where it is electric vehicles only. Personally I think there is very little between diesel and petrol in terms of pollution. Low emission zones will just be another cash cow for local authorities the same as the congestion charge.

Spongy

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Surely it can't be beyond the capabilities of the engineers to design some device to filter out the NO2. Clearly such a device would reward the manufacturer very handsomely.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
funnily I asked a broadly similar question of my local garage owner. His reply was to laugh and say no time soon would we see diesel vehicles stop being built. Its all political bulldust as petrol engines put out far more noxious chemicals and he can prove it with his government approved exhaust gas analyser

if diesel is so bad, why were we all actively encouraged to buy diesel powered vehicles not very long ago. buses, taxis, all manner of trucks, huge fleets of delivery vans. millions and millions of essential vehicles without counting even more privately owned cars. It would cost trillions of pounds to replace and recycle all the current diesel power vehicles on the road and a "scrappage" scheme would be pissing money down the drain with only the car manufacturers benefiting. Then there is the massive loss to the petrochemical companies

Diesel power is a certainty for the forseeable future

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Definitely. I think it's only a question of time before anyone driving a diesel will be required to have someone walk in front of them waving a black flag while wearing a gas mask lol.

Electric vehicles will gradually change the market. The issue with diesel is specific to high population (particles rather than noxious gases) areas

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Cant wait to see major cities banning Diesel lorries and its inhabitants waking up one morning and not being able to get their latte coffee :)

It will only change if we get stuffed for more tax to grease the palms to change to electric vehicles. A bit like we were when they decided people needed PV panels and the feedback tariff was subsidised :mad:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No, not a chance. Electric ? where is all the additional power coming from. hand to mouth at the moment.
I'm fortunate to have a proper diesel that will run on anything if necessary.(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You live a sheltered life chaser.....:giggle:
I live in a part of the country where near enough every vehicle, cars ,trucks, tractors is diesel not because the government said anything but because they have always been diesel for economy, and reliability and always will be no matter what the government say now, and I can go out in a morning around my fields and listen to birds singing and sheep and cows in the fields, and no sign of pollution and never will be , I havnt been near a town apart from gt Yarmouth a couple of weeks ago for maybe two months, just no need , what have they got I need, can't think.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I think the days of any combustion engine in major cities are numbered. I don't think it will be long where it is electric vehicles only. Personally I think there is very little between diesel and petrol in terms of pollution. Low emission zones will just be another cash cow for local authorities the same as the congestion charge.

Spongy

You may be right but, in the same way that towns are slowly dying through exhorbitant parking charges, the disappearance of many of the favourite chains plus out of town shopping complexes, the banning of fossil fuelled vehicles will ensure their demise.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
No, not a chance. Electric ? where is all the additional power coming from. hand to mouth at the moment.
I'm fortunate to have a proper diesel that will run on anything if necessary.(y)
The biggest electric vehicle in out towns and cities is trams which is fine but not sure about a long distance tram pulling 44tonnes, might be a while off that :whistle:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I live in a part of the country where near enough every vehicle, cars ,trucks, tractors is diesel not because the government said anything but because they have always been diesel for economy, and reliability and always will be no matter what the government say now, and I can go out in a morning around my fields and listen to birds singing and sheep and cows in the fields, and no sign of pollution and never will be , I havnt been near a town apart from gt Yarmouth a couple of weeks ago for maybe two months, just no need , what have they got I need, can't think.
You lead a charmed life chaser, not my idea of heaven though I'm a townie always have been. I love the hustle and bustle touching shoulders with other people. I guess that we will be the first to pay as always with extra charges for the pleasure of owning or driving our chosen vehicles.
What type of farming were you involved in chaser..

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
You live a sheltered life chaser.....:giggle:

I dunno Mr buttons - fishing yet again? :sneaky:

Think about it - how many MoHos do you see in the centre of cities, especially the ones with some kind of emission standards ?? ;)

You may to choose to seek the shelter of a city (or cities) but most of us look for the wide open spaces in our MoHos!! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back