Diesel vs Petrol/LPG

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by bashers, Apr 10, 2009.

1. bashers

bashers

Ratings:
    +0
    If you had a choice between diesel RV and one with petrol/LPG conversion which would it be?

Are these big V8 petrols that reliable?
    More so or less so then a similar diesel

Is it worth the extra fuel costs over running on LPG (LPG availability aside)

2. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,689
    I prefer diesel
    I know they are NOISEY and the fuel STINKS and at the moment diesel costs more than petrol/LPG, I just like the torque of them, I have spent half my life with a diesel motor as my companion so I feel at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's really down to what YOU prefer,---------------- by all accounts the V10 is "really good "on petrol
    Nigel

3. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +4,497
    Hi Basher I think its unlikely any RV would do the mileage to take advantage of the possible longer life of a diesel, GM class the 8.1 as a 200,000 mile engine and I would expect the Ford V10 to be the same.

On straight fuel economy I would expect the diesel to win, however if you don't do many miles a year then the higher servicing costs would even it up.

Olley

4. bashers

bashers

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not too interested in longevity of the engine so much as its general every day reliability and my ability to service/repair it in the field
    I'm planning a 12/18 month slow tour of about 10,000 miles. I intend to get a diesel or a converted petrol so payback is no longer an issue
    Is there much electronics or turbos that may cause issues on 10 year old engines

5. Boo

Boo

Ratings:
    +4
    You got to take into account the fact that LPG is half the price of diesel...............so in theory its like getting twice as much to the gallon or petrol/dielsel :winky:

And a better smell and easy to service

Boo

6. dazza

dazza Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Olley here, our Damon has an GM 8.1 litre and we have had it converted to LPG which did cost (£2500), while she was running on unleaded she returned around 10 mpg, she has been running for a year on LPG and she returns around 14 mpg! as for the diffrenance in power she has plenty of that when its needed! its such a nice feeling when the fuel you are putting in is only 49.9 pence a litre and not 100.9!!! its had just over half a tank of unleaded in it for about 6months!!!

7. des

des

Ratings:
    +0
    hi dazza

wish i could get your economy! we use a consistent 1.5 miles per litre; perhaps a trifle better. as the lpg indicator lights mean nothing, i reset the trip reading every time we fill, and know i need to refill after about 225 miles. then predict how much will go in using the 1.5 "rule" and rarely better that by more than 10%. always towing the punto, travel at 60 on motorway. have tried slower, to little effect. i think olley gets about the same, works out at about half your figures. what's the secret?

going back to the diesel/petrol question, to me it's a pusher/puller issue. i believe the old diesel in pullers to be ok in rvs under about 6 tons, but otherwise likely to run out of steam, especially if towing. the new FRED system seems great, but looking at them recently was very disappointed by the poor basement stowage; nowhere near as good as the daybreak. i would love a pusher, esp with full air, and full basement, and of course a payload of several tons. however, no complaints about the daybreak; have now spent over 450 nights away in 3 years, and still delighted with it.

des

des

8. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Ratings:
    +17
    :Cool: For the extra cost of buying a Diesel, you could have an LPG conversion fitted. I ha dour 1988 Coachmen Classic converted. It cost £1500 plus anoth er £500 for a re-conversion (don't ask). We did 23,500 miles in the time we owned it. It did 8.5mpg on Petrol and 7.5mpg on LPG . If I put our Newmar back on the road? I WI LL have it converted to LPG. :winky:

9. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +32,466
    As a word of caution I'd suggest using the unleaded gasoline on a regular basis and not leave it lying sloshing around the tank. It deteriorates, oxidises and forms gums if left lying around for a long time, which can cause a problem with the engine. It might cost a bit more to do this but also it might prevent a breakdown when you do use the unleaded....... Cheers!

10. dazza

dazza Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    We do run it on unleaded everytime its started, runs for about 5 to 10 minutes before switching over, i dont know why its so good on LPG, we service it every 6000 miles, dont tow with it as you need a class 2 HGV once you tow anythnig behind it! ( the trailer takes it over 7.5 tonnes) i drive around 60 mph