Diesel Pump on Kon Tiki (1 Viewer)

May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
Hi the Fiat Ducato based Kon Tiki with a 2.8 engine has refused to start, no noise from diesel pump which I assume is in the tank, having removed the filter under bonnet nothing coming out when ignition on, battery is A1 question is anyone know 1. is there a cut out switch for the pump if so where? 2. Best way to access the pump (where is it) 3. Any other reasons why diesel not getting to filter? (there is diesel in the tank!) any advice greatly appreciated. The camper is year 2000 with 36000 on clock.
Bill

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Pretty sure there is a cut out somewhere. Would have thought the pump will be inside the tank. Sorry not much help, but others will be along soon.

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi

The impact cut off switch should be above the battery under the bonnet.

It has a round top , square bottom with wires coming out

Daniel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
Hi, thanks for replies, the cut out I think I find, but does not appear to have been activated, the fuel pump I locate via a plate in the passenger footwell and after separating the connector establish power is getting to the pump just over 5v and apparently they run on a 6v power supply. Am I right in now deducing that the pump is caput !! and anyone know if there is a choice of manufacturer's pumps available as there is a big difference in prices of the numerous pumps on line. Or has anyone carried out a successful repair?
Bill

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Hi, thanks for replies, the cut out I think I find, but does not appear to have been activated, the fuel pump I locate via a plate in the passenger footwell and after separating the connector establish power is getting to the pump just over 5v and apparently they run on a 6v power supply. Am I right in now deducing that the pump is caput !! and anyone know if there is a choice of manufacturer's pumps available as there is a big difference in prices of the numerous pumps on line. Or has anyone carried out a successful repair?
Bill

Logically, I would have expected the pump to be powered from 12v, but have had no experience of replacing one ?
Fingers crossed!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
AFAIK the pump is 12v but the fuel gauge that is in the unit is 6v
Have you tested the correct wires for the pump supply

OP
OP
B
May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
I was Wrong!!! the gizzmo under the plate in the passenger footwell is merely the pick up and return pipe and the fuel gauge float sender, so maybe there is a fault on a relay or the pump, When I find it !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
Hi read your reply after posting the report of the discovery re the fuel gauge and if only I had known the 6v 12v difference I would not have gone to the trouble of removing the gauge etc. Still looking for the pump, must be other side of filter between injector and filter, going to seek professional advice re relays, unfortunately can't move the van so need mobile chappie.
Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
are you certain this fault isn't the very common immobiliser problem?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Thinking about this more I believe your engine is not the common rail fuel system so does not have an electric pump?
If there is no diesel at the filter it may have drained back and needs priming again but this would indicate an air leak in the fuel lines.
Edit re electrical checks
If it has a rotary injection pump there is a fuel cut off solenoid on the side which should have 12v when ignition is switched on. If not check immobiliser as @TheBig1 suggests

OP
OP
B
May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
Thanks, the van does have an alarm/immobiliser but I have never used it in anger, how do I check the immobiliser, I have pressed the buttons on the remote caused an alarm and then silenced with buttons, is the fuel cut off solenoid on the side of the pump?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Yes the solenoid is on the engine pump but depending on design may possibly be difficult to acces connection due to security systems.
This is all assuming you have done the checks as your first post indicated no diesel

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the van has a fiat immobiliser fitted as standard with a chip in the key coded to the van. the chip is detected by a ring round the keyhole. this detector ring tends to fail meaning that the immobiliser does not energise the fuel solenoid

i wont post on here how to bypass the immobiliser for obvious reasons

OP
OP
B
May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
Hi The kon tiki is year 2000 and not having the electronics in the key, the immobiliser (maybe!!) and the alarm are operated by a separate fob with four buttons on it, nothing in the vans documents describe the system!! embossed on the plastic gizmo in the living quarters is 'microwave sensor' with two lights white and red. as said I can alarm, set off and silence but don't know if this also immobilises. I have a professional local chap coming round on Monday with diagnostic gear so fingers crossed its something simple, will report outcome, thanks for trying, bill s

OP
OP
B
May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
well the bloke came, took various bits off near the air filter etc, took the panels off from below passenger glove compartment then went home without replacing and has not come back!!! the van still wont start and the 'mobile' mechanics round here are apparently only break down garages who would tow the van to their garage but would not be able to move it from where it is!!! The van is fitted with a TAURUS alarm system but all attempts to establish contact with the installers have failed, may have gone out of business. The van actually started on 'easy start' but stopped when that ran out, don't want to use too much of that. Any one out there got a van with a Taurus system. Any diesel mechanics prepared to travel to the Pwllheli area to assist. Nearly at wits end, three months now and van needs to move !!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you located the fuel cut off solenoid on the injector pump yet ?

If you have, take a length of wire from the battery pos terminal to the solenoid terminal then attempt a start.
You will need to remove the wire to stop the engine.
If you haven't located the solenoid have a look around the injector pump body for a single wire....that is the pumps ignition controlled cut off supply wire and needs removing and taping up before fitting the temporary wire in its place..

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Just came across this thread, my van is the same year but a Peugeot with an after market cobra alarm/immobiliser. I've also got a red key that I can over ride the lot . The black keys can only be used with pressing the cobra fob. I keep the red one indoors hidden.

OP
OP
B
May 18, 2014
gwynedd
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2000
will be having a look for the solenoid etc when rain stops! found the alarm documents, it is a Taurus Model T1300 / T 1320 fitted 7/7/2000 by Laserjack N E instructions mention red override button but don't know where that is located, not on the fob or the keys

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Could you not rig up a temp diesel supply to your fuel pump using a can and some tubing... that way you are sure your rotary pump is getting a supply..
I' not familiar with that engine but the lift pump on the early transits was part of the rotary distributor pump...ones I had didn' have an electric lift pump in the tank.
With a temp fuel supply cracking the injector lines as you turn her over and see if you are getting fuel to the injectors...
If not then maybe it' the security disabling the solenoid on the pump..
Andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Could you not rig up a temp diesel supply to your fuel pump using a can and some tubing
Sorry, won't work.
The fuel cutoff solenoid is in the incoming fuel side of the pump and until that's open there's no way fuel can get into the pump.

Opps...just read the last couple of lines of your post.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Sorry, won't work.
The fuel cutoff solenoid is in the incoming fuel side of the pump and until that's open there's no way fuel can get into the pump.
Sorry I thought the problem the op thought he had was a failed lift pump... ie fuel not reaching the hp pump
My suggestion was to rule that out... and I believe it would...
Cause iv done it ..:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back