Diesel pump held upside down to fill a Hymer !? (1 Viewer)

Tricky 1969

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Having only got our Hymer last month, a B564 1996, I'm not sure this is a common issue or just me but I have to hold the diesel pump upside down and pump very slowly to avoid sending diesel all over the garage forecourt. Your advice is most welcome.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Not sure, it on mine there is no neck to speak of on the fuel tank, so I shove the nozzle in as far as it will go (ooh errr missis) and pointing in a downwards direction if you get my drift, then as soon as the pump clicks off, that's it.

My local garage is one where the owner fills for you, and he very carefully filled it up and every time he did, it ended up washing his shoes with diesel.* The solution was simply to be firm, keep a good flow rate, and wait for the click. No problems since!

*not only his shoes, but my keys and key fob which were in the lockable filler cap at the time. So van stank of diesel for days...

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Don't hold the filler upside down I do the same as @milliethehymer except when it clicks I pull the nozzle out and very carefully get the extra few litres in. Don't know why but its become a challenge and after 5 years I'm getting quite good at it only have a spillage about 50% of the time now.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tricky 1969

Tricky 1969

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Don't hold the filler upside down I do the same as @milliethehymer except when it clicks I pull the nozzle out and very carefully get the extra few litres in. Don't know why but its become a challenge and after 5 years I'm getting quite good at it only have a spillage about 50% of the time now.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I am very nervous about doing this but will try, I thinks its because the previous owner had made such a point of holding the nozzle upside down

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I am very nervous about doing this but will try, I thinks its because the previous owner had made such a point of holding the nozzle upside down
Seem to remember it was Jock of @JockandRita who showed me how he did it when we first bought the van and I've done it that way ever since.
Bloody stupid idea having no neck as it regularly gives a big gulp just as its reaching the top and spits diesel everywhere which usually ends in a quick exit from the forecourt.:eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tricky 1969

Tricky 1969

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Seem to remember it was Jock of @JockandRita who showed me how he did it when we first bought the van and I've done it that way ever since.
Bloody stupid idea having no neck as it regularly gives a big gulp just as its reaching the top and spits diesel everywhere which usually ends in a quick exit from the forecourt.:eek:
Yes I've already had glares for the forecourt attendant as I shrugged my shoulders sheepishly and smile :)

Roadrunner_644

Free Member
Apr 26, 2008
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class B644
Exp
Since 1990
It will go in the correct way up, it just takes a bit of wiggling about, and you have to angle either a little bit left or right, or both - can't remember exactly.

Hymer 644 - 1996

Can usually get the click before it splutters out, but always stand to one side just in case.

It's sometimes a bugger to get it out again :LOL:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I just gently pop mine all the way in and wiggle it a bit side to side , no leakage so far .:)
I trust you wear suitable protection! ..................

pe_glove_blue_strong_style_color_b82220_vinyl_strong_glove_disposable_glove_pvc_glove.jpg
;)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hymer, in common with other (all?) A class builders, simply extend the filler neck to its new position using hose. The 'anti-gulp' breather tube inside the main filler gets left where it is near the top of the original filler neck. I suspect that care needs to be taken with any A class.

OP
OP
Tricky 1969

Tricky 1969

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Hymer, in common with other (all?) A class builders, simply extend the filler neck to its new position using hose. The 'anti-gulp' breather tube inside the main filler gets left where it is near the top of the original filler neck. I suspect that care needs to be taken with any A class.
Yes the slow pour and the angry glares for the motorist queuing behind seems to be the norm for an A class owner!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back