Diesel Price changes hourly in Germany (1 Viewer)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Like others we have spent a lot of times touring Germany. Interestingly Germany appears to have the lowest diesel price in comparison to France, Belgium and the Netherlands at the moment (lowest we have seen €1.20/L) We were leaving a Stellplatz this morning and on saying goodbye to the Germans next door we mentioned we were off to fill up, it was 8.30am. I was surprised to learn from them that diesel prices change during the day, dependant on demand. Our neighbour showed us an App which showed fuel price at nearest garages to be €1.329. He said wait until after 10am and the price will drop. At 10am he showed me the App and the same garages were showing prices at €1.23. When we got there the price was €1.22. So almost 11 cents difference, not to be sniffed at if your filling the tank with 179L
This was something I was not aware of so will be looking more carefully in future.

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
Yes, it was getting ridiculous here in Germany with the price changing throughout the day, and nobody knew where or when the best deals were.
So the government brought in a new law which makes all petrol stations, except small ones, send notification of price changes to a central database.

There are several free apps that monitor this database and show the current price with a very small delay.
With most apps, it is possible to sort the data according to price, distance or type of fuel.
They usually show where the petrol station is on the map, and some have graphs of price variations for the last week, so it possible to gauge at what time the price is likely to drop.
The Android apps that I use are "mehr-tanken", "clever-tanken" and the ADAC one "Spritpreise".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We have a far more technical system of pricing over here. "How much are BP down the road charging? We'll knock 0.1p off their price".

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I found rapid price changing in Germany but had no idea it was so organised so thanks for alert.

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
The one I was told to use this morning is called Fuel Prices, has all the functions to search local area then link to google maps to take you there. Its an Android app and it’s in English

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
Are the apps in German or English ?
I think I know the answer....
Mehr-tanken, which is the one I use most of the time, is in English.

It can also be used to find LPG and charging stations for EVs

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We were in a hotel in Munich with a petrol station outside. Couldn't believe how much the price fluctuated through the day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back