Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
8 years
We are unhappy with the design of our gas heater in the van as the heat comes from a vent that is a good two foot off the ground like most motorhomes and caravans.
It ends up leaving a low down cold spot where the legs are.
So we want something like a blower near floor level that gets hot quick.
I am wondering which will be cheaper to run, a Propex unit or a diesel unit.
I know the Propex units are cheaper to buy where as the diesel ones are over double the cost.
So I am also wondering about the option of having a permanent gas tank that can be refilled.
The only thing with that is can I refil this at the pump myself like an lpg car?
Which of the two creates more noise?
Which one would be safer?
I understand that you are not allowed to go under the channel tunnel with gas bottles also so wonder if this applies to a permanent tank.
Lots of questions I know but my head is spinning with the options.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are unhappy with the design of our gas heater in the van as the heat comes from a vent that is a good two foot off the ground like most motorhomes and caravans.

Not ours !

Just a thought, can you not make some for of deflector to direct the air downwards ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant help with most of your questions but i can clarify two points....

bottled gas is allowed in the tunnel....max of two 15kg i believe and they must be turn off and secured to the van.
tank gas isnt allowed unless its propulsion gas...lpg engine conversion.

yes, you can fill fixed tanks at petrol stations providing you have a proper, recognised fill point, usually external but could be in a locker, which you would have anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

bottled gas is allowed in the tunnel....max of two 15kg i believe and they must be turn off and secured to the van.
tank gas isnt allowed unless its propulsion gas...lpg engine conversion.

Think you got confused John ...

LPG tanks ARE allowed in the tunnel for domestic use and turned off..

LPG converted vehicles are NOT allowed

jim

OP
OP
C

creativeglenn

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
8 years
Thanks guys.
I dont think the reflector idea would be safe or visually appealing.
Are the propex units more powerfull than the standard carver or is it truma gas fires?
Ours dont really seem to pump out that much hot air accept in the shower room and it does take a while to heat up.
Perhaps I should have a play around with the blower pipes and only have one connected to see if I get more power in the lounge area where we want the heat low down.
Ive heard the propex ones are near instant hot air which is ideal if comming back from the pub in cold winter nights and to take the chill off the van.
I have also noticed there are no floor vents in our van only a vent low down in the side door.
Is this normal in a motorhome as our caravan had floor vents?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Are the propex units more powerfull than the standard carver or is it truma gas fires?
Ours dont really seem to pump out that much hot air accept in the shower room and it does take a while to heat up.
Perhaps I should have a play around with the blower pipes and only have one connected to see if I get more power in the lounge area where we want the heat low down.

We used to have this problem with the truma in the caravan. Also everytime the door was opened we were back to square 1 ,
" close the door:Angry:" :roflmto: (Poor Kids)
We found that if we closed off the bathroom vent it made it a bit better. Not much , but every little helped. Oh and nice thick socks or slippers:winky:
Must admit the heating on the MH is 100% better, and the fact the walls and floors are a lot better insulated which makes it warmer.
Bev

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi creativeglenn,sorry but I am confused ? if you already have hot air vents then you should be able to extend / close off pipes to force air where you want it to go.
As to diesel heater or gas your choices are probably D. ESBASHER (spelt wrong ) Gas propex or truma all 3 of of which I have had and found they all work good if a little noisy on start up / full power buy once warm you can use them on half power / quieter :thumb:The Propex one is only one way up for fixing while the Truma one can be fixed either flat or on lt's side (narrow space?)and only requires one hole for both intake and exhaust (1 inside the other) the propex needs 2 one for each.At the moment I have the truma unit and in the couple of vans before that the propex units.Both are around £450 to buy compared with £1000 for the esbasher unit. £550 buys an awful lot of gas :thumb: and I have found all 3 units to be reliable,but the esbasher is expensive to service (around £150/200 for the kit ) again buying new I would think it will be a very long time before needing a kit.The more vents / outlets the less heat comes out but they all handle 2 or 3 easy :thumb:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Think you got confused John ...

LPG tanks ARE allowed in the tunnel for domestic use and turned off..

LPG converted vehicles are NOT allowed

jim

thats egzacly wot i sed......only me fingers got carried away on the keys.... is (NT) allowed

yes. thats what i meant and im sticking to my excuse. :Blush:

OP
OP
C

creativeglenn

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
8 years
Hi creativeglenn,sorry but I am confused ? if you already have hot air vents then you should be able to extend / close off pipes to force air where you want it to go.
As to diesel heater or gas your choices are probably D. ESBASHER (spelt wrong ) Gas propex or truma all 3 of of which I have had and found they all work good if a little noisy on start up / full power buy once warm you can use them on half power / quieter :thumb:The Propex one is only one way up for fixing while the Truma one can be fixed either flat or on lt's side (narrow space?)and only requires one hole for both intake and exhaust (1 inside the other) the propex needs 2 one for each.At the moment I have the truma unit and in the couple of vans before that the propex units.Both are around £450 to buy compared with £1000 for the esbasher unit. £550 buys an awful lot of gas :thumb: and I have found all 3 units to be reliable,but the esbasher is expensive to service (around £150/200 for the kit ) again buying new I would think it will be a very long time before needing a kit.The more vents / outlets the less heat comes out but they all handle 2 or 3 easy :thumb:
terry
Thanks Terry great reply.
I have tried shutting different vent to get more power but no luck.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I know nothing about the layout of your van, but before installing another heater, would it be possible to add a branch and more ducting to the existing system? If it's a Truma, I believe you can get spare ducting and a T-piece. If it's possible to conceal them, you might be able to run one or more ducts to the floor level.

Philip

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi creativeglenn, sorry for late reply been away :thumb: by more power do you mean more air being forced through ? You will have 2 settings - hi and lo ? on low it still produces the heat just not as powerful blow but quieter :thumb:Even if you only have one vent hole into your van it should heat up the whole van in about half hour on low power and probably 20 mins on full :thumb:We usually stick it on full for 5 mins which in my van is warm then turn it on low power and let the thermostat take over
terry

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Might seem obvious and apologies if you have already checked, but have you checked to make sure the blown air pipes are properly connected to the back of the heater? We had a similar issue only to find that the pipe was not fully connected and most of the warm air was lost out the behind the heater.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back